Startingover's fall from grace.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I have decided to write about this is two fold. One, to help myself see my state of mind and the changes that took place over a period of time. Two, to show anyone that the risk of complacency should always be kept in mind. As a bit of background, I have had a problem with drugs (heroin, amphetamines) and alcohol most of my life.
    At over 2 years sober (and happy) my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer we were told in August that she had months and not years to live. In a way it was kind of expected as she has had cancer before and I had always felt she was living on borrowed time. The reality of it happening however had a profound effect on me. My anxiety returned, fear of the future started haunting me again (both of these symptoms had completely disappeared when I quit drinking) and the upshot of it all was that I had no clue how to really deal with it. Yes, I havent always had a smooth ride in the last two years, so to a degree, I could deal with anxiety but not the prospect of losing my mum to a dreadful illness and the fear and unknown that went with that. Outwardly it appeared that I was coping well, her health deteriorated incredibly quickly and my role as carer overtook my life totally. I had to stop work and move into mums house to look after her. This in itself was quite astounding because we have not always had the smoothest of relationships and I never ever thought I would be able to be a full time carer for her. Anyway, I am jumping the gun a bit. When she was diagnosed my immediate reaction was ?how do I cope?. Well to my shame I went straight to her medicine cabinet and took the opiates she had been given during her last bout of treatment. I knew she would neither miss these or be aware I had taken them. I started using these to take the edge of my angst. Not every day, but when things got very bad (this is killing me writing this.....) As the days went on, her health worsened and we had to face the prospect that she would die pretty soon. This actually meant talking about things. Not easy for me and not easy for her either. She was also prescribed morphine to combat her symptoms. It was me that gave her medicines to her. So, I had a dose for me, a dose for her. The thing is I NEVER once got high, it just took away my anxiety or lessened it. I was also prescribed valium from the doctors....still no high. I am so thankful for that. So we carried on, her becoming more infirm daily and me managing her affairs, the goodbyes with her friends and family and my own fears and grief. Towards the end of her illness, two days I think, she began to be unable to swallow. The doctor prescribed a cocktail of drugs including heroin, to be taken intravenously, within hours of taking these she had lapsed into unconsciousness. The following day she died. Her diagnosis to death had taken less than two months. There was still half a bottle of morphine left that I knew I would finish off, but I assumed that the nurses/doctors would take the remaining drugs away. They didnt. The moment I knew they were staying was the moment I knew I would take them. I researched the drugs I wasnt familiar with on the internet and I tucked into the ones I was....just like the old days. That desire, excitement, fear etc had never gone away, just been quietened over the years. (I have not had heroin for over 20 years) I loved it. I was relaxed, happy, high and in no way acting like anyone who had just lost her mother. This is horrendous to write about.....Of course I over did it, and was incredibly ill the next day. Vomiting bile and blood, I really felt like I was going to die. I barely remember the following day, people rang, texted but I was unable to press the right buttons to answer the phone. Then in the afternoon, Zenny called. I dont remember what she said either. Mr Starts was looking after me, trying to get me to drink water and holding the bucket when I was sick....he also took all the drugs and disposed of them which was a relief to me. Once they were gone they were gone.
    I think my point to this story is that for me, once an addict, always an addict. Whether it be drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, behaviours. It is something in my personality that has to be kept in check or it becomes out of control.
    A couple of weeks later I went to Ireland to meet up with a number of good friends from here. A few of them knew what had happened, some of them didnt. I decided one night to tell them everything. Getting it all out was like a weight off my shoulders. No one condemned me but the concern and horror was absolutely humbling. Oney asked me that weekend, if the same situation happened again, would I do the same thing. Without a moments hesitation I said ?yes? and thats when I realised how much trouble I was in. My mindset had changed completely from strong, capable and sober to looking for crutches to deal with my problems.
    Since that weekend, I have been concentrating on my thought patterns and my spiritual side to help me deal with my grief. It has helped. My dear friends here have been such a constant source of encouragement and support and for that I thank you, deeply.
    For me, I know I need to work harder on my sobriety, I need to up the game on my wellbeing in every way and keep that as my top priority. Its true that not every day we lose someone close, but sometimes less traumatic problems can feel overwhelming and we are not prepared to deal with them.
    Anyway if this story helps anyone in any way it will have been worth it to share. I think it has helped me to write it. At the moment I am reliving the horror of that time, but I hope that it will ultimately help me too.
    Thank you for reading
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

This is my original story written in August 2008 as a bit of background..

I have been an active member of this site since I stumbled on it during a period of desperation in July. Over the weeks that I have been af I have thought a lot about why and how I got so low. I guess it goes right back to when I first tasted alcohol as a child of maybe 12. I remember my dad drinking alot and I remember feeling a warm glow when I did. I remember pinching drinks and dregs of glasses when I could and I remember buying bottles of martini to drink before going to youth club!!! Around that time, my dad lost control of his drinking and had some sort of nervous breakdown when his mother died. My mum and dad never had a happy marriage but they stayed together probably because of the kids. When his drinking got out of control the marriage fell apart even further. I started to go off the rails around then I think, the pain of watching my dad who i adored fall apart, lose control to the point of wetting the bed was unbearable. I was a daddy's girl but he was no longer my daddy. He even seemed to hate us. I think in reality he was ill but it seemed that he really hated us with the things he would do. He cut the brake pipes in my mums car so we would be going along and all of a sudden have no brakes. Did he want to kill us??? Then there was the emotional blackmail, the unpredictable behaviour including shoplifting and the fear of how he was going to be, what he was going to say and do on a daily basis. This went on for 2 years until an injuction meant that he had to leave. I never saw him again. I found out he died about 10 years later from someone who had read it in an obitury in a news paper. Around the time he left I got into drugs, it never occurred to me that I was trying to numb pain. I just thought I was doing the usual teenage stuff and was a bit rebelious. I was involved with all sorts of class A drugs for a number of years. I drank too but drugs particularly amphetamines were my favourites. They gave me confidence and helped me feel good when i suppose that I was really feeling alone and rejected. Mum was still there but struggling financially and emotionally I had to grow up very quickly and I didn't want to. After a few years I knew I had to stop taking drugs, hubby and I wanted to get married and buy a house and be grown up and self sufficient. There just wouldn't be the money for drugs all the time. How we did it, I don't know, we stayed in, saved and oh yes, we started drinking much heavier! Obviously still needed to get that buzz. I was dead chuffed because I was no longer doing illegal drugs, it never really occurred to me that I had swapped one addiction for another. So it was like that for the next 20 odd years. Periods of very heavy drinking and then getting some control for short periods. I remember swigging from a tin of beer first thing in the morning, finding out someone had put a cigarrette out in it, removing the butt and carrying on!! Revolting. I remember breaking the bed somehow and just lying in there cos I couldn't be bothered to get out (I had fallen through the middle). I remember self harming before I knew what that was or why I was doing it. God I have NEVER admitted these things before. And of course there is the myriad of things that I simply DON'T rememeber. Things I have said and done......god, the shame. All this time I have been successful in my work and outwardly successful in my life. Fantastic husband, beautiful dogs over the years and anything I wanted really. But deep down there is this unbearable sadness that i have been trying to bury that I probably had never dealt with. There was a lot of anger too - with both my parents. 2 years ago my mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer, since then she has had lung cancer, adrenal and breast cancer. She has had so many operations, chemotherapy and been so very ill and there has been no let up. This is when my drinking got really out of control. For the last 2 years I have been drinking heavily more or less daily. At least a bottle of wine or more a day. Recently the morning drinking started too. I have always worried about my drinking, wondered why and how to deal with it. Always thought I had kept it fairly well hidden. The strain and heavy drinking brought on a terrible depression. I thought I was losing it and was struggling to function day by day. For the first time ever I sought help. Not for the drinking (never would admit that) but for depression (didn't want to admit that either). I think that has been the catalyst for me. I started anti depressants and counselling. After about 8 weeks on the tablets I couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling much better, that's when I discovered the link between drinking and depression and then I KNEW that I had to do something. I didn't think there was any help out there other than AA and no way was I going public. Then I found this place, the difference it has made to me has been nothing short of a miracle. I am SO VERY GRATEFUL. Through the counselling I am able to lay some of the demons from my childhood to rest and learn to deal with my emotions instead of burying them, through giving up alcohol I am learning to live a real life and regain some of lost confidence and self esteem that has been missing for so long. It isn't easy but it is worth it. The supplements and the support here are what keep me going along with the day to day positive changes in me. So after about 30 years of drinking and drugs I am 7 weeks clean today. I am proud of myself. If you have made it this far, sorry to ramble on and thanks for reading my story.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I am SO proud of you Starty, that was a very hard post to write.

I knew when I asked you if you would do it again that you would say yes.....and you said yes with such ease and no hesitation, I remember your face when I kept staring at you and I saw the truth dawn on you. How distorted your thinking had become and how numb you had become to the effects of your binge.

I think that was defo an Aha moment for you and I am glad..You have come so far in the past few weeks, your positivity and your determination and your general happiness is apparent and a joy to see. You ARE still grieving however and you will have days when you are very sad but thats normal and part of the process.

There is a very dear lesson to be learned here, none of us can ever become complacent, temptation is always lurking and when something horrible happens, it can become overpowering. We all need to be on our guard and deal with those feelings when they come.

I applaud you Starty, for your brutal honesty and for sharing, with us here, how things can go so very wrong, with one bad decision and those stinkin thinkin thoughts that we NEED something "to get us through"

I am proud to call you my friend and you teach me more than you will ever know xx Love youto bits x
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Oh fuck, Starty.

I knew what had happened, but not how deeply / badly you'd been affected. I'm sorry for not being a better friend to you through it all.

What you've posted has taken a lot of courage, and I admire you for that.

All I want you to know is that my belief in you has not been shaken. Not in the least.

Love you

xxx
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Hi.
          What a lovely reply one2many. I agree with it completely.

Starting over, you've helped me soo much over the years and i'm sooo thankful for that and you. I'm sooo very sorry that your mum died. I have no idea what that must feel like but can only imagine the pure pain, hurt, upset, anger and guilt. I really don't know what to say, ijust want to give you a HUGE cuddle. Unfortunatly, i have to say 99% of us would go back to our old habbits if a close loved one dies but not as many would be as strong as you to face up to the old demons like you have.
          i can only imagine how hard it was to write that post but thank you for sharing so close and personal. You really are an inspiration.

Sorry for your loss.

All my love xxxx

Comment

Dear Starty, How painful this must have been for you and what courage it took for you to come here and share this with us. I hope that this is helping you to regain your strength and to heal. I was the primary care giver for my father a year and a half ago. I understand how complicated this process is to go through. My father and I were not close, he had been horribly abusive over the years. Caring for him also meant dealing with my toxic siblings. Over a period of months, I considered drinking more than once, it would have been very easy to do. More than once, I eyed the vial of morphine and wondered what bliss and the espcape that vial would hold. It was only fear that kept me from seeking the relief that my addicitions held.

Oney expressed my feelings perfectly, as she so often does. I would just like to add that you have not "Fallen from Grace", but, you are headed to a new level of grace. You have fought hard for your sobriety. There is no doubt that you have grown from this experience and you are headed for an even better place, sober, happy and strong! Thank you for sharing with us, I have learned much from you.

Sending you Peace, Comfort and continued Strength, dear friend.

XXX Kate
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Starty,

Just know how much we all love you.

Despite all the pain, I respect your renewed commitment to work on yourself and your spirituality. Keep on growing, dearie.

With love,
              Tulipe
              AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Starts, after such an eloquent post by Oney, there's not much I can say - she's said it all. I do want to add my thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm sure it was difficult to go through those emotions all over again. Your story is a good example of what not to do and how easy it is to give in to temptation even after so many years.
                You are a very strong lady and be proud that you managed to get back on the right road again. And this time, I know you will stay there. Now you have this past experience to remember, and to help you recognize the danger, should temptation rear its ugly head again.
                Again, thank you for having the courage to share this with us.
                Stirly :h
                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Starty,

I have read both your stories. Anything I say here will probably sound trite, except, I cannot thank you enough for baring your soul and sharing this very personal journey with us. I can only hope for you that you have exorcised the pain now and that you will be able to embrace a permanent state of sobriety. I think most of us here have experienced a lot of pain and used alcohol/drugs for the same reason - to numb out and make it go away. Now that we know it doesn't do that, we're trying to live another way.

People here don't talk much about alcohol and cancer or other diseases. I guess we don't really know exactly what al does to us because we can't always see it. For me, it was putting so much stress on my body that I know eventually it would have caused me to have some disease. Of course, there would never be any proving it. What I hold on to now is wanting to preserve my good health and feel good every day.

Thank you again for being here for us with your story. It will help us all in our quest to remain sober. I hope that telling it helped you too.:l

Comment

Starty :l:l:l

I can't add anything else, these wise people are right ...........

Love & Hugs, BB xxx
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

hi starts and the rest,amasing story,it took a lot of effort to do it,i bet,tiring if no exhausting,i to am sorry for your loss,not only your mother but as a child watching someone so dear to you, fall into aclcholism,its odd how our child hood can have such an everlasting effect on our life s,like you i to went thro the same,it takes years to come to terms with what is rt from wrong,we put a lot of faith in what our parents teach us,i think ive said it to many over the last few years ive been here,its not the drinking or drugging ,that destroy us,its the day you realise maybe the way we were tot,was wrong,or maybe we understood it wrong,now that you hav sobriety,it is much easier to comprehend, your mind is relaxed from not abusing the substance that we got so much pleasure from,your an amasing lady,thnx starts for sharing gyco

Comment

Picking up the pieces when they fall" begins a journey to living anew with love, courage, and hope for a bright future.
                        Steve Brunkhorst,

Cant add much more to what has already been said, You still have my highest respect & thank you for sharing as i know how painfull that was, xx

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Starty-thank you so much for taking the time and having the courage to write your story. You have given us all a huge lesson for so many things-some we all face, some only a few of us do. I wish you nothing but peace and happiness from now on. I'm proud you are a member of this community and I know you will continue to support and teach all of us. You have definitely NOT fallen from grace but have risen to new levels of self awareness and learning. I too am so sorry about your mum and all she went through. She would want you to heal.

:l :h Pam and da boyz
                          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Not much to add to either the already excellent replies or what I said to you personally Starty. Well done on your honesty my friend, I dont think you actually realise what a strong inspirational woman you are.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Starts - :l:l:l:l:l

Thank you for doing this, I know it will help you and you are helping all of us by sharing.
                              There is so much hurt, pain and fear in our lives and when we suppress it, it grows on and manifests itself in illness and depression. When we realize that hiding it is not the way we can start to deal with these issues before they kill us.

Forums like MWO are a vital part of recovery not just from AL and drugs but from whatever life had dealt us. I think society is learning we cant solve our problems alone, we need each other to lean on.

I like Oney was very concerned about your answer to the Q would you take it again and feel great relief that you have your thinking back where it needs to be. Like Kate says, there is no falling from grace, you are proving that even after the darkest of moments we can alway rise up and find grace.
                              (And thats not to say you dont deserve to get your bloody arse kicked till its black and blue!!! )
                              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                              AF - JAN 1st 2010
                              NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X