Startingover's fall from grace.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are a very strong and brave woman, Starty! Not many would have the slightest bit of courage, such as yourself for posting something so honest such as this.

Although you did what you did, no one, who hasn't been through it, or through such a loss, can really understand the complexities of emotions that go along to watching someone die, such as you did. It is completely physically and emotionally exhausting. Although you knew what the outcome was going to be, it doesn't make it any easier for when that day comes.

To be perfectly honest with you, with my own father dying of cancer, I am scared to wits about what I will do when that day comes! Sure, I can be all strong right now, but as time goes on and when he gets to the stages of impending death, where will my own head be?

Your post really, really, really, helps me raise awareness within my own self of what could happen, and I realize that I should prepare myself for the worse. Which means that although, I am being strong and supportive of everyone else during this time, I am really going to have to start looking for support for me as well. I have a number for Hospice here, and they offer grief counseling. Maybe I should start looking into it now.

Thank you so very much for sharing. I cannot express you how much I appreciate it. We all really have to fight this fight ALL of the time.

You are so very wonderful. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Many hugs to you, hon. xoxoxo

Comment

I can offer no more words than have been said apart from thanking you for the honesty and courage for your post.
      :l:l:l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Starty I haven't read it all but wanted to tell you how much I truly respect and value you. Sending you hugs and I will read when I get back and settled. xox

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Thank you Starty and everyone else for opening my eyes a little more.
          My mum died eight years ago today, which I just realised. (I had to check the date). She was an alcoholic like me and we didn't get on for many years but just before she died she made an effort to win her family back and, for the most part, succeeded. My brother still hates her with a passion for the way he sees that she gave up on us when we were small but I've come to realise that it was the disease that caught her and she didn't have the will to fight it. When she died I was already a drunk and her death was met with the usual binge but for a different reason. If it were to happen today, I can't honestly say that I wouldn't take a drink. Maybe it would be too good an opportunity to let pass, who knows??
          I've never taken drugs, except for one joint when I was very drunk which I didn't like. I've never seen cocaine or heroine or any of the little tablets that kids take nowadays even though people I know take them regularly and they are readily available. My daughter is a regular 'smoker' and my son came home late one night earlier this year in bits because of a cocaine thing that he has been going through for a few years. I never knew or guessed. I really have no idea about these things and I'm glad I don't but that doesn't stop me feeling for anyone caught in the grip af an addiction because I am one of those people.
          You're a good friend Starty and have helped me find my bearings and on more than one occasion and I thank you again for that.
          I just wish I was more use to you.
          Thinking of you too AFM.

Comment

startingover;1002626 wrote: Gawd, i wish I could just squeeze you all to bits.
            Honestly your replies and your support have done more for me than you can possibly realise
            While I was writing it, and cringing and beating myself up I was wondering what sort of responses I would get and how I would feel. So when I posted it, I just hit "post quick reply" and then legged it :H
            I must admit I was nervous to log back in
            Well, that was madness, just another episode of distorted thinking on mt part.
            Thanks everyone, this has given me a huge boost and an added impetus to keep moving on up
            im so glad you took the leap of faith girl you are awesome and all i want to say .. love and big big hugs to you
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Great post Start's.

I wish i was there to squeeze you tight. You being around for me has definately contributed to this, the longest period of sobriety for me.

Take care, Greg xx

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you Starty.
                :h Mish :h
                sigpic
                Never give up...
                GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                Remaining a perpetual possibility
                Only in a world of speculation.
                What might have been and what has been
                Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Thanks for your honesty Starts.

Much love and respect to you for allowing others to see the vulnerable side of you. It's obvious from the responses so far that that's what people have warmed to and not that sentimental crap!!

Love and hugs
                  and many blessings
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi Starts, thank you for sharing. Your courage doesn't surprise me at all, you have shown us many times that quality in yourself.

My father died 2 weeks ago. I felt so orphaned. My older brother who was drunk and ugly at my mother's funeral created a rift that has never been healed. As a result, I made the decision not to return for the funeral and my sister supported me on this decision. Actually it was more of a small celebration of life than a funeral. As a result of my decision I avoided the potential conflict that may have occurred and sent me spiralling downwards. My sobriety has been elusive and I've been on a good track lately. However, I don't have the "closure" or whatever that means of not seeing his final goodbye.

Like you, my sister was the carer and was an absolute star. She felt privileged and honoured to be part of his final journey. You must think about that Starty, because I you had such a wonderful opportunity to make your mother's last days filled with love and care.

Yes, I understand how the addict reacts to loss, it is such a blow. Your flirting with drugs is over, but don't dwell on that. You were part of a much larger picture in yours and your mother's life.

Love you to pieces and you will come out stronger and more aware. Addiction is a monstrosity.

Love,

Hilary
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Starty, I have so much respect for you. Your honesty and candor have helped me today, and for that I thank you. I sometimes wonder whether there will be a time when drinking again WOULD make sense. I know I am not alone in having those thoughts from time to time. You have given us your answer - it's not worth it even under the most difficult of circumstances. I'm so glad you are a member of this forum and I'm honored to share your path to sobriety.

This is one of my favorite passages from one of the personal stories in the Big Book of AA. I have no real idea why I thought of it in connection with your posts. But it came to mind like I'm supposed to share it here, so I will.

Excerpt from "Acceptance Was the Answer" page 417, Alcoholics Anonymous 4th edition

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supopsed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.
                      I find a lot of hope in that passage and I hope you do too.

May you find your serenity again.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Starts, from where I'm sitting, I see no fall from grace. I see a stark reminder that none of us can ever think we're totally, permanently out of the woods.

Life will continue to throw the hard stuff at us. Your story is a sobering reminder that we must be prepared for all eventualities.

Thank you for your honest post.

Comment

You will never fall from Grace in my eyes Starty. :l
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

thanks

Thank you for being so open I NEEDED that humble reminder once an addict always an addict how quickly we forget!:l

Comment

Starty I cant say much more than has already been said. But I have the utmost admiration for your ability to reflect on what happened and to share it with us. :l
                              Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

starty, thank you so much for sharing that with us. it was a truly awful time for you. i do have a question and i hope its not inapropriate to ask. as far as i know, while you were going through this you werent posting about your feelings and such like towards taking the drugs. i know this is how we tend to behave. do you think it would have helped if you had. you obviously feel better about 'confessing' how you were coping with things. just wondering what was going through your mind on that line. please dont think im being intrusive as i know you are still grieving deeply. once again, thanks so much for sharing this with us. very best wishes to you....and lots of loving quacks
                                Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                                Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Working...
                                X