TVP: Textured Vegetable Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely off topic, but I just bought some of the above. It's made by Bob's Red Mill and it's Gluten Free. It's a Soy product high in protein..I'm trying to hide things in cooking since my little girl won't eat veggies. Does anyone have any receipes where this is used? Something good to cook.. I'm going to mix it in with coating for chicken, and cookies as well..but does anyone cook with this and has something to try? Thanks!! ♥

Get a book called The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook and it has some. It says "The granules can be used in any recipe calling for ground meat and the larger chunks are good in stews, fajitas, kebabs or pot pies" Says stir often to avoid sticking...the recipes are like sloppy joes etc, meat recipes with TVP instead. Never tried them cuz can't find TVP anywhere...

Comment

Thanks bird! I wonder if I can find the recipes online anywhere? I'm a little far from the local Chapters..I'll see what I can find! Thanks!

Comment

You can find lots of uses online. The product is widely used in vegetarian cooking. By the way, you look ravishing today!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

OK - I will insert my standard soy warning here. People who are hypothyroid or sluggish thyroid may want to do some research to decide if soy is a good idea. My own doctor strongly advises against soy.

There are also issues with soy and genetic modification. Some people don't think that is a problem, and others are concerned. Just something else to research and decide for yourself when considering expanding the role of soy in one's diet.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi there - makes a really good shepherds pie too!!
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Okay..I don't plan on making it a complete subsitute, I love meat to much. Just something extra to add in every now and then. I use flax seed and oil, wheat germ..things like that in my cooking for an added benefit, but they never replace a food group.

Thanks Techie, I like that little black ribbon she has around her neck..quite beautiful I think.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Hi Gia,
                Have you heard of the book by Jessica Sienfeld called, DECEPTIVELY DELICIOUS? It is a great cookbook where you make pureed veggies and insert the puree in other foods, such as cookies and brownies as well as main dishes. I bought this book and tried some of the recipies and they were great!

The greatest idea is to have containers of pureed veggies in your freezer at all times! Then you can add some in nearly anything that you are making!

Enjoy!
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi Kate! I have heard of that book, and I've been meaning to get it for a while now. Maybe one of these days I'll actually remember. I do put in pumpkin puree, apples and carrots shredded into her cookies and a few other things, but she is just so fussy. If I could get her to eat spagetti sauce I think I could hide almost anything into that one. I'm going to get the book and see what I can find. Kids, I tell yah! lol

Comment

Working...
                  X