AF Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Weight

Does giving up booze make you lose weight? Despite my boozing I was not overweight to start with. I read an article somewhere where a woman said she lost 15lbs just from giving up booze. I'm gonna look skeletal if I lose 15 lbs:alf:
    Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

AF Weight

I really think that a lot of different factors plays into that. Some people lose weight, some people gain and others don't really notice a difference. It all depends on how much you consume, what your normal diet is to begin with, medical and your general health and if your replacing the calories that you would have normally consumed per day from alcohol..and much more. Someone else here I'm sure can provide more on this, but this is my Readers Digest version.

Comment

AF Weight

I put on weight because I was actually eating better! I was delighted because I was too thin before....and when I stopped smoking I put on a little more......I look a lot better.
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

AF Weight

I didn't lose a single pound!
        Turned out I was replacing AL with sweets & that's not good. Once I got away from the sweets I began to lose a little & am back to my former size
        Takes a while.......be patient.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Weight

Lavande;1003637 wrote:
          Takes a while.......be patient.

Lav
          Hi Lav, what takes a while?
          Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

AF Weight

I gained weight over the past 20 years or so because along with the calories of AL, there were also the calories of junk food which I ate to compensate for the fatigue and probably high cortisol levels due to the sleep I was NOT getting. Plus I was too tired to exercise. So, when I stopped in March/May, I eagarly stepped on the scale each week expecting Biggest Loser type weight loss. I was even doing Weight Watchers again figuring that I would now be successful because it was AL holding me back all these years. Imagine my surprise and dismay as I saw the scale creep up and up! I did manage to lose 6 of the ten I gained when I became AF but I've since gained at least 3 of those back. Really really hate it when I hear people say they stopped drinking and lost 20 lbs or so without trying. Sigh. My problem? Sugar. I replaced the AL with sugar plain and simple. Unfortunately due to my highly addictive personality I'm finding it harder to give up the sugar then I did the AL. It's in just about everything we eat and I'm constantly playing the "I don't have time to cook so I'll grab BK or Mickey D's or DDs" victim and I'm using ice cream and sweets to make up for not using AL when I want to celebrate, after a hard week/day at work, feeling blue you name it. I was never a huge sweet eater when I was drinking although every few months or so I'd have a night of binge eating Ben and Jerry's but that was it. Obviously the AL was fulfilling my desire for sugar.
            So, long story short-every one is different. If you don't want to lose a lot of weight and weight comes off easliy for you, then replace the AL calories with lots and lots of fruits and veggies and high fiber, whole grain carbs and I guess whole dairy products wouldn't hurt, esp. fortified with calcium. I should take my own advice!!
            Good luck!
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF Weight

I'll offer this. If you DO lose some weight and want to gain it back, I'll give you mine.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

AF Weight

I worked hard to lose 10 pounds last fall, then slowly gained it all back. I think I'm about the same as when I joined here. I know I eat more sweets to replace the alcohol. I'm not really overweight, but I would just feel better if I lost those 10# again.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

AF Weight

Hey Sunbeam. I was here first offering up my 10. You will need to find someone else to take yours!!
                  (:H:H:H)

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X