Why we drink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why we drink.

I thought about it a lot and really i do think its all in our heads. I am not going to make this post any longer because all who know will understand.

Why we drink.

Temporary buzz, escape, forgetting problems while loaded only to have them return bigger than ever.
    In some cases, "having" to drink to relieve symptoms of physical addiction to alcohol.

I've heard them all, been part of them all.

In my opinion, it's combination of physical and psychological factors that make us start and continue.

In the end, it's all a big joke on ourselves regardless of how it started and progressed. Getting started is too easy, realizing the problem is another issue, dealing with it..........

that's why this board exists ..........
    Dean Wormer to Bluto (John Belushi) from the movie Animal House: "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Comment

Why we drink.

Certainly for me it was completely psychological Steve, and the longer I'm sober the clearer I can see it.....
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Why we drink.

Mine was all in my head the other day. I certainly wasn't having any type of physical need for it. I am "glad" that I woke up feeling physically sick after I slipped. The dizziness, nausea and overall bloating (my eyes felt swollen shut!)...ugh.
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Why we drink.

Hi Steve, I think you are right for sure, there is a great deal of this battle that is in our heads. I have given this a great deal of thought over the past 9 months. One thing I have thought about is how our species did not evolve with alcohol in the picture (or other drugs). These poisin's are novel to our species, and certainly are now affecting natural selection and evolution - although it will take generations and generations to play out.

Other things I am starting to understand is how habit, routine, a weekly cycle, are somehow linked. I think humans like these things, and when booze is mixed in, it get's even more lodged in our brain; and somehow the addiction makes it all stick even more.

Another aspect I have been thinking about, is how that over time, alcohol starts to slow down our brain functioning, I think that, in and of itself, makes our ability to see our problem, and realise we need to stop, even harder. It may be a bit of a catch 22.

Thanks for the interesting post idea,
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Why we drink.

although once i got into drinking heavily there was the physical addiction, mostly for me it was to 'take a holiday from myself'. this could encompass all sorts of things... give me more confidence (which in the long run it took away more than ever), or take my mind away from bad situations/thoughts/stress (which again were made worse in the long run) BLOODY POINTLESS when you look at it like that.
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Why we drink.

Spuds, nicely said. That post rings very true for me.
              Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Why we drink.

Drinking was the never the problem for me. It was the solution to my problems.
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Why we drink.

spuddleduck;1004780 wrote: although once i got into drinking heavily there was the physical addiction, mostly for me it was to 'take a holiday from myself'. this could encompass all sorts of things... give me more confidence (which in the long run it took away more than ever), or take my mind away from bad situations/thoughts/stress (which again were made worse in the long run) BLOODY POINTLESS when you look at it like that.
                  This is me all over Spuds.

Comment

Working...
                  X