AF BOOT CAMP Day 12 (BEWARE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I Need to see some dang results people. The only thing you folks have been producing is swamp gas. This group is as usless as rubber lips on a woodpecker. Now I need your full attention. We are closing in on the Thanksgiving holiday and I want ALL of you on your guard. I WILL NOT LOSE ONE PLATOON MEMBER TO ALCOHOL. NOT ONE...YOU HEAR ME? I SAID DO YOU HEAR ME??

Sarge sez: Make a mental note . . . oh, I see you're out of paper!

Motivation:

You are one thought away from being supremely and authentically confident. You are one thought away from stepping powerfully, effectively and decisively in the direction of your dreams.
    With just one positive, empowering thought, you can turn toward achievement, toward excellence, toward discipline and commitment. From nothing more than a thought that resonates with your true purpose, you can change your perception of the whole world.

Reach into the place within, where you nurture your vision of the very best life you can imagine. With all you have, with all you are, feel the beautiful reality of that vision.

And know that whatever you can imagine, whatever you can feel, you can create. In fact, it already exists within you.

Feel within yourself the reality of life as you know it can be. Then, with your words, your actions, your priorities and commitments, with your focus and discipline, express that beautiful, meaningful value.

In every moment, in every circumstance, through every challenge, let that immense value flow out from you. It is never more than just one thought away

Healthy Lifestyle:

Back Pain
    If you have back pain or neck pain, you have a lot of company. About 8 in 10 people experience back pain at some point in their lives. Back or neck pain often goes away in time?60% of back pain is gone within a week and 95% within 12 weeks. But if your pain persists for three months or more, it?s considered chronic pain, a tricky-to-treat condition that could be due to injury, overuse, arthritis, or spinal problems.

http://www.health.com/health/back-and-neck-pain

Exercise:

Relieve back Pain? Build your core muscles!

http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exer...eningexercises

http://www.livestrong.com/back-flexibility-stretches/[*]Practice a relaxation technique daily: Options include mindfulness meditation (proven to ease chronic back pain), breath work, guided imagery, biofeedback, progressive muscle relaxation and hypnotherapy.[*]Try therapeutic yoga: The stretches can reduce muscle tension, strengthen the back and promote flexibility. To find a therapeutic yoga instructor visit: http://www.iayt.org/site/profile/search.aspx[*]Bodywork: Both the Alexander Technique and the Feldenkrais Method can change habits of posture and movement that contribute to back pain. You could also try Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy, which uses manual pressure to release muscle tension. To find a practitioner near you log on to Bonnie Prudden Pain Erasure: Myotherapy for Pain ControlElectrical stimulation: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers low level electrical pulses to the lower back (you can get a portable device for home use). Percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (PENS) works the same way but delivers the pulses via needles inserted into the back rather than electrodes used with TENS.Exercise: Both aerobic and strength training exercises can help. Aerobic exercise includes walking, swimming or cycling, all of which can help strengthen back. Aerobic exercise also burns calories and help you lose any excess weight that may contribute to your back problem. In addition, do strength training at least twice a week to tone and firm the abdominal, leg and buttock muscles that help to support the back. Make sure you get proper instruction before embarking on a strength training program; using either free weights or weight machines improperly can defeat the purpose. Make sure you do some stretching or yoga for flexibility.Massage: Therapeutic massage can provide long lasting results. A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in April 2001 found that therapeutic massage was more effective for back pain than Traditional Chinese acupuncture. To find a qualified massage therapist visit: Find a Massage Therapist? — American Massage Therapy Association, the Web site of the American Massage Therapy Association.Recipe:

Porcini Risotto....

DescriptionThis classic Italian dish is rich with the flavor of dried porcini mushrooms. Adding truffle-flavored olive oil at the end of cooking adds depth. Always remember when making risotto to cook the rice until it is creamy but still has a bit of tooth. With a large green salad, this dish is elegant enough for guests.

Food as Medicine
    The dried Porcini mushroom, Boletus edulus, has an exceptionally high protein content.
    Ingredients1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
    3-4 cups warm Vegetable Stock
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, minced
    1 cup Arborio rice
    Salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons truffle-flavored olive oil (optional) or extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)

Instructions1. Rinse the dried mushrooms in cold water, drain, and add to warm vegetable stock to soften.

2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saut? the onion until soft. Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the mushrooms, cut into smaller pieces if necessary. Reduce heat to medium-low.

3. Add the stock, one ladleful at a time, as you stir the rice. As the rice absorbs the liquid, add more. After 15 minutes, test the rice for doneness.

4. When the rice is tender but not mushy, remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and add truffle-flavored olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Attached files [img]/converted_files/44958=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Checking In Sarge, Sir

1st Thing water & lemon, supplements
    Breakfast porridge, stewed apples and cinnamon with soya milk, green tea
    Lunch brown rice cakes with crunchy peanut butter, persimmon, orange juice
    Dinner
    noodles with miso, peppers, mushrooms, shallots, soya, brown bread, yoghurt and green tea

Exercise
    1 ? hours yoga: 30 minute walk

Feeling good today Sarge and no Thanksgiving holiday to worry about so no alcohol in this temple of a body, Sir. Love the risotto recipe didn't realise the high protein content of the Porcini mushrooms so will look out for them Sir.

Dewdrop :h
    Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Reporting for duty, Sarge.

Already posted rations on other thread, Sir. Going for a jog right after this post, Sir. Keeping the holidays simple so no stress here, Sir.

Thanks for the good tips as always, Sir. BTW - love your kitty on Mario's post. I want it.

Love porcini mushrooms, Sarge. Thanks for the recipe.

Private Choochie

Comment

Ohh Loving the back tips....Sarge, Thank you please..
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Morning Sarge, morning troops.
          Sorry for not reporting in yesterday, Sarge, but I had managed to get an appointment for a friend, James, at the Fresh Start Recovery Programme. He's in a fairly advanced stage of alcoholism and has a long journey ahead of him...if he makes it. The doctors/rehab/pain clinic have been shunting him backwards and forwards for over 12 months and his pancreatitis has advanced considerably and he's lost another 10kgs. They are calling in Professor Jeffrey, the top hepatologist in WA, to consult on his case. Very grateful, Sarge, to live in a country where this kind of help is available (if you do the looking yourself and don't rely on your GP to direct you to the right place).
          I'm feeling a bit better also Sarge. Getting used to the 100mg Baclofen they started me on each day. Still don't feel up to any energetic manouvres but I'm eating healthily and getting plenty of rest. Treating myself to some Diet Cola (I know it's poison), but drinking V8, Cranberry juice and chlorophyl water as well.
          :h Mish :h
          sigpic
          Never give up...
          GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
          Remaining a perpetual possibility
          Only in a world of speculation.
          What might have been and what has been
          Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Mishmash;1009646 wrote: Morning Sarge, morning troops.
            Sorry for not reporting in yesterday, Sarge, but I had managed to get an appointment for a friend, James, at the Fresh Start Recovery Programme. He's in a fairly advanced stage of alcoholism and has a long journey ahead of him...if he makes it. The doctors/rehab/pain clinic have been shunting him backwards and forwards for over 12 months and his pancreatitis has advanced considerably and he's lost another 10kgs. They are calling in Professor Jeffrey, the top hepatologist in WA, to consult on his case. Very grateful, Sarge, to live in a country where this kind of help is available (if you do the looking yourself and don't rely on your GP to direct you to the right place).
            I'm feeling a bit better also Sarge. Getting used to the 100mg Baclofen they started me on each day. Still don't feel up to any energetic manouvres but I'm eating healthily and getting plenty of rest. Treating myself to some Diet Cola (I know it's poison), but drinking V8, Cranberry juice and chlorophyl water as well.

Excellent Mish. Gosh, everyone is doing well. Make this old hardass feel kinda good. I'm very proud of what you're doing for James. Its that type of selflessness that make folks like you special. Keep up with the meads. I know the SE's don't exactly make ya feel like doing jumping jacks. You'll soon feel like running wind sprints though. If you gotta have that diet coke at least drink the one w/ splenda. Aspartame is POISON. NOW GET OUTTA HERE MISH...

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1436163=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Sir! Yes, Sir.
              thank you, Sarge.
              :h Mish :h
              sigpic
              Never give up...
              GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
              Remaining a perpetual possibility
              Only in a world of speculation.
              What might have been and what has been
              Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Dewdrop;1009598 wrote: Checking In Sarge, Sir

1st Thing water & lemon, supplements
                Breakfast porridge, stewed apples and cinnamon with soya milk, green tea
                Lunch brown rice cakes with crunchy peanut butter, persimmon, orange juice
                Dinner
                noodles with miso, peppers, mushrooms, shallots, soya, brown bread, yoghurt and green tea

Exercise
                1 ? hours yoga: 30 minute walk

Feeling good today Sarge and no Thanksgiving holiday to worry about so no alcohol in this temple of a body, Sir. Love the risotto recipe didn't realise the high protein content of the Porcini mushrooms so will look out for them Sir.

Dewdrop :h

EXCELLENT DEW...Just fantastic all around. Yup them there Porsche shroons are expensive but good fer ya!!!

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1436192=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Privates Zenny, Oney, & Choochie. Because you're doing so well feel free to grab an xtra slice of toast in the mess tomorrow. NO gat dang butter though....YOU HEAR ME????

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1436196=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

But I love butter, Sir. waaaaahhhh Thank you sir. Have a good holiday Sarge - tofurkey for me.

Happy TG to the troops. Sir, hope it's ok if I post a little humor here........ - I'm feeling frisky this morning.

:bump:

Comment

Morning Sarge and all barracks interlopers,

Very energetic morning, I have run 5kms with dog stopping to pee on every lampost along the way(had to run on spot so no time wasted)....exercise bike 40mins set on hill training (bloody hard Sarge, but feel a million bucks now..gaspppppp)....got some weight training this arvo(dang arvovarks keep getting underfoot, so I'll just have to ramp up my step routine)...diet exemplary, I'm settling into this low G.I. gig well now and sugar cravings are almost NIL. Attitude as always is positive, upbeat and congenial (gawd Sarge I'm feeling nauseous on account of my snow white purity, but I'm sure I'll find some way today to taint it:H Anyway you lot, go hard or go home:h Said with love and grace, Saff
                      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Working...
                      X