X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy thanksgiving...

hope its a great day for ya'll!!

Happy thanksgiving...

yep havea great day all you thanksgiven folk :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

anyone of you in the usa read Debbie Macomber? Im reading a lovely christmas book called 'call me Mrs Miracle' , its lovely.Gives one a nice special christmas feeling,.I hear they are making it into a film as well...

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Sounds like a lovely book Limers!!
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

It is Lynda, youd love it.

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

I am a bit Mrs Christmas meself!
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

Happy Thankgiving everyone!! May it be a peaceful day full of love and gratitude.....
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

happy thankgiving from me also . i used to love the day when i was there
                AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

A safe, sober, and happy thanksgiving day to all my friend's in the States!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

To all of you celebrating today, best wishes for a safe and happy day.

Reggie;1010414 wrote: Sounds like a good day...but confused whats the day all about????? and why do they present a turkey to your president and why do you choose a turkey to roast on this day (genuine questions) and what are you celebrating excuse my ignorance...spose i could look it up on Wikki pedia but would prefer to hear from you yanks
                    Hiya Reggie. I'm not a Yank so a Canadian will have to do.

Generally a day of giving thanks for all that we have in life. This is what Wiki says...

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Traditionally, it has been a time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. While it may have been religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.[1] It is sometimes casually referred to as Turkey Day.

In Canada, Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the second Monday in October, which is Columbus Day in the United States. In the United States, it falls on the fourth Thursday of November.

The precise historical origin of the holiday is disputed. Although Americans commonly believe that the first Thanksgiving happened in 1621 at Plymouth, Massachusetts, there is some evidence for an earlier harvest celebration by Spanish explorers in Florida during 1565. There was also a celebration two years before Plymouth (in 1619) in Virginia. There was a Thanksgiving of sorts in Newfoundland, modern-day Canada in 1578 but it was to celebrate a homecoming instead of the harvest.

Turkeys were native to the forests of North America while at the time of the first Thanksgiving, they were unknown to the first settlers being that they were European so that's probably why they cooked turkeys for their celebration and it became tradition. Bigger bird than a chicken so lots more meat.

The turkey that's given to the President of the United States is one that will not be slaughtered and cooked for Thanksgiving, but it's life will be spared. At least for today - I have no idea what then happens to it unless they have a special farm and the turkey gets sent there every year and stays til it dies a natural death. Anyway, as stated in Wiki, it was started as a day of thanks for a bountiful harvest and thus is celebrated at this time of year. In Canada, as it says above, it's celebrated in October simply because the weather gets colder there earlier and thus the harvesting is done earlier.

Hope you're having a lovely evening and that your sweet daughter is enjoying your company. I expect you've made something yummy for dinner. Take care, Reggie.

And again, a safe and happy day to all....
                    Stirly
                    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

Happy Thanksgiving.......Tony.
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Happy thanksgiving...

Reggie - just fyi I think the pardoning of the turkey is silly - not sure why that tradition ever got started or why in the world it remains. When I think of the millions of turkeys that get slaughtered knowing that one doesn't just seems weird......oh well.............

Comment

Working...
                        X