X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image of Brain Comparison - Non-Drinker vs Heavy-Drinker

Brain comparison - heavy drinker/non drinker

Choochie - this is frightenng! They should show this to school kids.

I would be interested to know whether after long periods of abstainence this brain activity reverts back to pre drinking fuctionality.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Good question, Chill. If I find anything out that addresses the return to normalcy, I'll post it. Just guessing, though, you would think there might be a correlation between how long someone abused and their ability to return to "normal" ??? Would be interesting to know.

Comment

Good to know but depressing as hell!

Comment

I was hoping it would be another reason (visual) not to drink.

Comment

:bump:

Comment

WOW....that explains why it takes so much longer for the emotional/psychological withdrawals to hit and for our brains to get better.

:thanks:

Comment

Reggie - actually I'm glad to hear this feedback. So, are you saying that these brain images are not realistic? Just trying to learn.

Choochie

Comment

I do see your point, Reggie. I wouldn't want to scare someone - I guess for me it's incentive because I don't want to injure myself. I was always one who worried about what I was doing with alcohol that I couldn't see. So, for me, seeing the visual is an incentive not to drink. Anyway, thanks for posting this - I'll be more circumspect before I post something that might have a detrimental effect - I just want to help others, not hurt them, that's for sure. Sometimes I guess I don't think things all the way through.

Comment

Thanks, Reggie:l

Comment

Reggie;1011042 wrote: I am saying recovery is not about scary images..... the internet can produce them in spades...choochie what you posted is very valid and im sure others agree with your view it just I am not a perveyour of the scare you shirtless school...I believe if we start to view Alcoholism as less dramatic as more of a health issue we can bring people in so they can seek the help we all need...sorry if i haven't explained my self ..i think your post was good just giving my view on it
                      Reg,

I agree that recovery is not about scary images. However, if images like these turn an alcoholic in denial toward embracing recovery, or deters someone in recovery from relaspe, then I say they have validity. Alcoholism is dramatic, very dramatic, as it kills countless numbers of individuals a yea,r both abusers and innocents. If any image depicting the effects of alcohol on brain function saves one life, to me its worth it.
                      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Reg, I too am one who wants to see the brutal truth about what drinking did to me, and would do to me again if I decide to consume any more of it. It may seem harsh to some but to me, I need the unvarnished truth.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I completely agree. You know what made me really sad? That was a 15 year olds brain. 15!!!
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I think everyone should know the damage drinking does, the dangers of smoking is so well known to youth of today . Alcohol is not treated with the same danger. Never be afraid of the truth
                            AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Choochie, I believe some of these things just because I know that I am not the same as I used to be. I have a terrible time making decisions, concentrating, and even being very coordinated sometimes. I guess the only way of knowing for sure is noticing improvement over time or having a brain scan on yourself, which is pretty unrealistic.:thanks: for your info.

Comment

Working...
                              X