Reflecting on Sarcasm-Dave Bluey, Seaforth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It?s often said sarcasm is the lowest form of wit (and puns are the lowest form of humour). I wasn?t really sure why, so I thought I?d do some investigation.

Consider this from Dave Buley of Seaforth:

Sarcasm is said to be a low form of humour as its intent is generally to get laughs at someone else?s expense. The pointed humour may not be funny to the victim but its funny to those who understand the barb as it feeds their intellectual egos. This is because sarcasm is a form of humour that is known to require the highest functions of our brains. Areas of the brain that decipher sarcasm and irony also process language, recognise emotions and help understand social cues. Sarcasm is related to our ability to understand other people?s mental state so it?s not just a linguistic form, it?s also related to social cognition.

By no means do I consider myself intellectually superior to you. Just because I am trying to teach you something that is usually innate and comes easy to those who are clever and intelligent, or at least quick-witted, does not mean that I presume to think myself your superior, and expect that you genuflect before me.

You?re right in that if you were exposed to sarcasm early enough I think you can develop it along with ordinary language skills, especially humour, as both my brother and I now feed off family dinner conversation topics searching for a funnier angle, with the sole intention of bringing the table into shrieks of laughter. We?d constantly dissect the conversation looking to turn the story into a light-hearted barb at the other person or better yet, use it to launch into Monty Python or other cult-movie skits. I think there?s a point though where you have to watch when someone starts use too much sarcasm as it just starts to sound nasty and bitter. Used sparingly it can help everyone have a good time.

I think we?re on a similar page. In the wrong hands sarcasm can be absolutely nasty and cutting, but when used good naturedly a lot of fun (though that does appear on the surface to be an oxymoron). I think that by exposing children to sarcasm, at the very least they can detect it, and are less likely to be on the receiving end of it from others (by not tolerating it).

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Just now saw this RC. Great post. I hate sarcasm myself. I can never understand why someone would put another person down and find it funny. It is just plain hurtful. And it really makes the sarcastic person look like THEY are the lesser person, not the one they are putting down. So their attempt at making the other person look bad is just a boomerang and comes back to get them.

P.S. Saw your latest pics - nice ones. Cute furry creatures...
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Good post, RC. I feel the same way about people who use inuendoes, as though somehow they are thinking they are making some clever putdown to a person not as intelligent as themselves, who won't get the nasty meaning behine the words. It's just not nice!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
      X