AF BOOT CAMP DAY 16 (Who Ya Gonna Call)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK you flock of fungus today is gonna be tough. So y'all think Sarge has been a bit hard on you? NO I HAVEN'T! So, we're gonna ramp it up a few notches. BTW, I had notches for lunch at that Tacky Bell joint. So we need to work hard. NOW MOVE YER BUTTS. YOU TOO ONEY. What, you can't? YES YOU CAN...hold it with both hands and run girl. RUN I SAID!!!

Sarge Sez: Ooga Chaka, ooga ooga ooga chaka

Motivation:
    You have made it through what has come before, and you can make it through what is yet to come. Every day brings more experience, and each experience brings new strength.
    You have moved beyond more obstacles than you can remember. That's given you what it takes to move through the ones that are now appearing on your horizon.

Feel your doubts, feel your fears, and explore your concerns. Learn from them, adjust your approach, and then move on ahead.

With each new joy and with each new disappointment, life is calling you to make it better than it's ever been. With each new day, with each new challenge comes your opportunity to add your own special flavor of richness to life.

Whatever has already happened, you can find a way to quickly be at peace with it. Whatever comes along, you can find a way to make the very best of it.

Remind yourself often of how uniquely valuable each moment is. And choose to fully live every bit of that value.

Healthy Lifestyle:

Simple Ways to Avoid Everyday Cancer Risks
    Q:
    Is there something special in dry beans that lowers cancer risk, or is the goal really to just eat more fiber?
    A:
    Dry beans ? such as kidney, black, pinto and navy beans ? and dry peas and lentils are more than just sources of dietary fiber. Beans are concentrated in fiber, and foods high in fiber do probably lower cancer risk, at least in the colon. But don?t ignore beans and assume a fiber supplement is "easier." Dry beans, peas and lentils also provide resistant starch, which is converted in our gut to compounds that seem to offer direct cancer protection to colon cells. Dry beans are also top sources of folate, important to produce and maintain healthy DNA, lignans, and a variety of antioxidant phytochemicals. Growing research suggests that regular consumption of dry beans may help protect against breast, colon and prostate cancers, and potentially others. In one large study, for example, although total consumption of a group of antioxidant compounds called flavonols was not linked with risk of breast cancer, women who consumed dry beans and lentils at least twice a week had nearly 25 percent lower risk of breast cancer over an eight-year period than those eating them less than once a month. An animal study suggested that bean consumption could act through several different pathways to increase self-destruction of breast cancer cells and decrease tumor formation. To add beans to your diet, consider setting a goal to eat beans, peas or lentils for a "meatless Monday" dinner. You can find recipes in the AICR Test Kitchen and in the New American Plate: Beans and Whole Grains brochure.
    Q: Are there steps that can reduce lung cancer risk in non-smokers?
    A: Tobacco is unquestionably the major cause of lung cancer, accounting for nearly nine out of 10 deaths from lung cancer. Yet that still leaves thousands of cases of lung cancer that we wish we could prevent through other steps. Passive smoking, technically referred to as Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS), accounts for 3,000 deaths from lung cancer among non-smokers in the United States each year according to a National Cancer Institute report. Making homes and workplaces non-smoking territory is a major step to lower risk. It?s also important to follow recommended precautions to avoid radon, airborne asbestos and occupational exposure to other chemicals identified as carcinogens. Diet plays some role, too, though we need more research. Increased amount and variety of vegetables and fruits show the greatest potential so far. Recently, a large population study in Europe linked greater variety of vegetable and fruit consumption with nearly a 25 percent drop in lung cancer risk; however this was only significant among current smokers. An American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) report concludes that fruits and foods containing carotenoids (such as vegetables and fruits that are deep orange or dark green) probably help prevent lung cancer. Cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower), deep green vegetables (such as spinach and kale) providing folate, and many other fruits and vegetables providing antioxidant flavonoid compounds may also work together to increase protection. In addition, according to a major report from the American Institute for Cancer Research and a recently released research review, regular physical activity might help prevent lung cancer, in addition to its clear beneficial effect on risk of several other cancers.
    Q:
    Has the advice about alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk changed?
    A:
    Overall, studies seem to be confirming earlier advice from the American Institute for Cancer Research that alcohol consumption should be minimized to reduce breast cancer risk. Most official advice states that women should drink ?no more than one standard alcoholic drink per day,? with the understanding that even this amount does pose some breast cancer risk. A recent study of breast cancer survivors found that women drinking three or more standard alcoholic drinks per week had a 35 percent increased risk of recurrence compared to non-drinkers. Alcohol may affect some women more strongly than others. For example, women with low vegetable and fruit consumption could be at more risk from alcohol. Their resulting low consumption of antioxidants and the B vitamin folate leaves them vulnerable to the folate-depleting effects of alcohol and less able to repair the DNA damage from the free radicals that form as alcohol is metabolized. Alcohol particularly increases risk of the common estrogen receptor-positive breast cancers, which may be why postmenopausal women who are overweight or obese (and thus generally have higher estrogen levels) seem to show more alcohol-related risk in some studies. Overall, studies suggest a small increase in breast cancer risk with one standard alcoholic drink per day (12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of liquor). Risk increases with higher consumption. That said, when it comes to post-menopausal breast cancer, a healthy weight and regular physical activity are protective, so don?t lose sight of those targets in your strategy to lower breast cancer risk.

Exercise:
    Here is an exercise program thats easy to incorporate that everyone can do. It is a good overall workout that is very complete!

The Workout That Does It All - Oprah.com

Attached files [img]/converted_files/45069=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Arse is spreading Sir, holding butt and climbing back on the healthy wagon....

No drinking or smoking tho Sir (desperately trying to redeem myself)...

Chip van is a great idea Private Zenfold.
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Zenstyle;1011719 wrote: Sarge SIR! May I make a suggestion? If you can locate a chipper van to drive round the barracks I am sure Private Oners will run after it, even if she does have to hold onto her bum with both hands.

Private Zenners has been very lax since Thanksgiving and needs to get back in the program. Rations returned to normal yesterday but gym maneuvers are still not forthcoming. Tomorrow, Monday at the latest, I'll back in the gym with a vengeance SIR!

Hope your Thanksgiving weekend is going well SIR!

*Hopes she talked a good game there...*

Private Zenners I know we're all a bit pooped after a BIG holiday. See the thing is I want you to rest while all the rest of the platoon MARCHES, RUNS, DOES JUMPING JACKS, PRIVATE MISSY'S PRESS UPS. Now you listen to me and you listen good there Zenny. I want you crackin some serious workout moves on Monday. You have a 48 hours leave beginning NOW. BTW, we don't have a dang chipper van, but I've requisitioned one army jeep with a chipper in the back. Hope Oney can put that backside into four-wheel!

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1438067=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

one2many;1011730 wrote: Arse is spreading Sir, holding butt and climbing back on the healthy wagon....

No drinking or smoking tho Sir (desperately trying to redeem myself)...

Chip van is a great idea Private Zenfold.

NO DRINKING & NO SMOKING IS WHAT SARGE LIKES TO HEAR. 48 hour leave for you as well Oners. NOW MOVE OUT. IS THAT A CHIPPER I SEE? Where the hell did she go? ONERS? ONERS?? PRIVATE ONEY.....????

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1438069=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Reporting for dury, Sir - 3miles today along with healthy eats. No al or forbidden substances for me, Sarge. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Comment

Here I am Sarge!!!

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Morning Sarge, Zenny and Oney!!

This thread gives me some great laughs!

Stuck inside today preparing for a major mission over the next three days. Mission is very intense and I'm probably not going to get much time for other manoeuvrings. Added to which, I'll be at a hotel conference venue. I've ordered a vegan and non-gluten option for food, but whether I get it or not might be a bit hit and miss. I'm a bit caught between taking my own food as a back-up or cutting myself a bit of slack (it will be stressful enough without giving myself a hard time if I eat something that is not strictly in my eating plan!!). At this point in my de-tox, I'm fantasising about the ham we have on order for Xmas, and Xmas pudding!!!!! But some excess weight iis slowly but surely dropping off, and I have to day I'm feeling pretty happy with how things are proceeding.
                Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Miss Behaving;1011748 wrote: Morning Sarge, Zenny and Oney!!

And Choochie!!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Sir, since we are all a tad obsessed with food, I just had to confess...............:H

Comment

one2many;1011747 wrote: Here I am Sarge!!!

:H:H:H:H

Comment

Miss Behaving;1011748 wrote: Morning Sarge, Zenny and Oney!!

This thread gives me some great laughs!

Stuck inside today preparing for a major mission over the next three days. Mission is very intense and I'm probably not going to get much time for other manoeuvrings. Added to which, I'll be at a hotel conference venue. I've ordered a vegan and non-gluten option for food, but whether I get it or not might be a bit hit and miss. I'm a bit caught between taking my own food as a back-up or cutting myself a bit of slack (it will be stressful enough without giving myself a hard time if I eat something that is not strictly in my eating plan!!). At this point in my de-tox, I'm fantasising about the ham we have on order for Xmas, and Xmas pudding!!!!! But some excess weight iis slowly but surely dropping off, and I have to day I'm feeling pretty happy with how things are proceeding.

Private Missy try and relax about the conference. You can get right back on track after. Although do what makes you fell the most comfortable. Now I was fantasizing about a holiday ham myself then realized I was staring at Private Oney avatar. NOW MOVE OUT AND GET THAT WORK DONE.
                        Attached files [img]/converted_files/1438085=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Choochie;1011750 wrote: Sir, since we are all a tad obsessed with food, I just had to confess...............:H

Private Choochie. I need you to report to medical. I'll alert Nurse Jones. Food replacing sex? Why I would NEVER consider...unless...OH DANG BLAM YOU PRIVATE...unless I was offered one of them there bratwurst with the onion & peppers on a toasted bun. Ya know the one's they serve at fairs. OK I've made a decision. Tonight Cooky's replacement Bugger will be preparing bratwurst in the mess hall. NOW MOVE OUT PRIVATE AND EAT SOMETHING!!!

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1438087=5823-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ok Techie will be out-of-pocket this evening. He will be dining this evening at the Gotham Bar & Grill on 12th St in Mahattan. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend folks!

Comment

techie;1011760 wrote: Ok Techie will be out-of-pocket this evening. He will be dining this evening at the Gotham Bar & Grill on 12th St in Mahattan. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend folks!
                              oh my ..... I just looked at the menu and I am salivating ........

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Working...
                              X