Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rational Recovery - Anyone Have Comments About This Book/Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone just posted something about Rational Recovery, but I can't find the thread. Do you guys have any comments about this book/program? Seems worthwhile to me. Read below if you're not familiar. Think it will be my next read!!

The Rational Recovery program is based on the premise that the addict both desires and is capable of permanent, planned abstinence. However, the RR program recognizes that, paradoxically, the addict also wants to continue using. This is because of his belief in the power of the substance to quell his anxiety; an anxiety which is itself partially substance-induced, as well as greatly enhanced, by the substance.[1] This ambivalence is the Rational Recovery definition of addiction.
    According to this paradigm, the primary force driving an addicts predicament is what Trimpey calls the "addictive voice", which can physiologically be understood as being related to the parts of the human brain that control our core survival functions such as hunger, sex, and bowel control. Consequently, when the desires of this "voice" are not satiated, the addict experiences anxiety, depression, restlessness, irritability, and anhedonia (the inability to feel pleasure). In essence, the RR method is to first make a commitment to planned, permanent abstinence from the undesirable substance or behavior, and then equip oneself with the mental tools to stick to that commitment. Most important to recovering addicts is the recognition of this addictive voice, and determination to remain abstinent by constantly reminding themselves of the rational basis of their decision to quit. As time progresses, the recovering addict begins to see the benefits of separating themselves and their rational minds from a bodily impulse that has no regard for responsibility, success, delayed gratification, or moral obligation.
    While nomenclature differs, the methods are similar to those used in Cognitive Therapy of Substance Disorders (Beck, et al.) and other belief-, attitude- and appraisal-challenging and cognitive restructuring schemes.[2]
    The RR program is based on recognizing and defeating what the program refers to as the "addictive voice" (internal thoughts that support self-intoxication) and dissociation from addictive impulses. The specific techniques of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) are concerned with demonstrating to the practitioner that the practitioner is in control of the addictive voice, not the other way around.
    In his book, Rational Recovery
    , Trimpey calls the addict's addictive voice "the Beast". He proposes that this is the sole reason why addicts continue their self destructive ways. Furthermore, by recognizing any feeling, image, urge, etc. that supports drinking/using as "Beast activity", the compulsions will fall silent, and the person can eventually regain control over their life and never worry about relapses. Although addiction is a life-long battle, it is much easier to say "no" to the addictive voice, than to give in. Moreover, this separation of the rational self from the relentless "Beast" will, Trimpey says, enable addicts to always remain aware of the repercussions associated with a single relapse.
    The notions that internal thoughts support self-intoxication and that the practitioner is in control of the addictive voice have become foundational in "evidence-based" treatment schemes at more progressive substance abuse treatment facilities in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK. These facilities base their programs on the success of Rational emotive behavior therapy,[3] Cognitive behavioral therapy,[4] Cognitive Appraisal Therapy,[5] and Schema Therapy[6] for anxiety and depression, as well as for substance abuse.
    While RR and AA promote abstinence, the programs use radically different strategies. RR repeatedly makes it clear that there is no better time to construct a "big plan" to abstain from drinking/using than now, and that AA's idea of "one day at a time" is contradictory to never using again. Essentially, it proposes that if you are never going to drink again, then there isn't a reason to keep track of time.
    • RR does not regard alcoholism as a disease, but rather a voluntary behavior.
    • RR discourages adoption of the forever "recovering" drunk persona.
    • There are no RR recovery groups (although meetings were held throughout the country during the 1990s).Great emphasis is placed on self-efficacy (cf. Albert Bandura).There are no discrete steps and no consideration of religious matters.
    Choochie

This looks interesting, and this is the first I've heard of it. I will investigate further...Thanks C
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hey Choochie-

The only other time I was able to have any significant AF time was after reading Rational Recovery - this was a few years ago. Unfortunately after being successfully AF for a number of months I decided to drink again.....had some damn fool notion that I could control it. :nutso: MWO has been helping me keep AF this time and it was here that I came to the realization that I cannot moderate - I can't ever have "just one drink". I still reread RR when I start to feel *wobbly* Rational Recovery from alcoholism, drug addiction, non AA, crank, meth
      :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

I've been reading the link and it's interesting stuff. This is what my psychologist has been going through with me. Not only with my AL beast but with my self doubt one as well.

Basically, when either one sneaks up on me, I have to tell them firmly to go away. I have been known to "throw" my AL beast out of the car window when he has been hassling me to go to a bottle shop!

For me, looking at myself and the beast as two separate individuals helps.
        CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Comment

Hey Choochie I have read the RR book and I love it. I keep it in my car with me and read it when I need a reminder of what to do when the beast starts to yell. It works if you work it ya no.
          You always succeed if you never stop trying.
          Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sheri - I read Allen Carr's book and it has been the single biggest help for me aside from MWO. You had recommended it early on to me. I then recommended it to a few others who have also had success because of it. I also passed on a lot of information from Digital Dharma and Spiritual River that you had mentioned. So, your good works have continued to live through us!! Glad you're back.

Comment

I had great success with Rational Recovery and MWO a couple years ago. But I got complacent and let The Beast convince me that I could have "just one".....what a joke. I'm back to 12-15 beers a day and have to start all over. I just ordered the Starter Kit from this site (it really helped me before) and will re-read the RR and MWO books. It's time to get off this ride.....

Don

Comment

Chief, best of luck to you. I'm going to order the book. Also, if you haven't read it, Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking is a good one too.

Choochie

Comment

Hey, Don! It is so good to see you back! Yes, you can most definitely do it again! You were very instrumental in helping me to gain my sobriety early on. I am forever grateful to you! xx Please pm me if there is anything at all that I can to so support you!

As for Rational Recovery and Allan Carr, both were very valuable to me. I agree that the more resources that we have, the better our chance of success!

The whole idea of the "Disease Model" regarding alcohol is very interesting to me. In my research I have found out that the AMA adopted this model in 1953. This was in direct relation to alcoholism in the post WW2 time period. By adopting a disease model, it allowed some treatment for this addicition to be paid for my medical insurance. I tend to believe that the term "disease" can be a double edged sword. It can allow peole to simply accept that there is nothing that they can do to combat alcohol abuse and that it is up to the medical field. That drugs are the answer. I simply do not believe that this is accurate information.

Kate
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Kate, I agree. I think it's an outmoded model. I also think that the conventional wisdom tide is turning. I've never understood how it can be progressive and yet be a disease. Anyway, I guess what matters is that we find what works for us. I have never felt I had a disease. I just drank for a long time and developed a problem that I am now fixing!!

Comment

I read RR book several years ago and tried to do it but failed. I liked the concept. I then actually took the 2 day course in California and was AF for over 2 months following it. I relapsed, however. I believe there is a lot to be said for the structural model of alcohol dependence as he describes it. However it was difficult to remain AF when the cravings are not addressed. I know that many have success with this approach but I did not.
                      I subsequently went on Baclofen and have been AF for almost 11 months now.
                      I prefer the term alcohol dependence or substance abuse to the term alcoholism. I think of alcohol abuse and dependence as phenomenon that some normal brains exhibit in response to the repeated environmental exposure to alcohol. Not all brains respond the same way to these toxins. So I guess it is a disease in the same sense that type 2 diabetes or environmental asthma and allergies are. IMO the treatment for the disease is lifelong abstinence.
                      The RR book goes to great lengths to say that alcohol dependence is not a disease. However the subtitle is "the new CURE" for alcohol dependency". If not a disease why call it a cure!
                      I did learn a lot of interesting things going to the RR course. The book also has some very good tools. Unfortunately for me it was not enough. Jack Trimpey, (the author) rejects drug treatment for this problem entirely.
                      Sunny

Comment

The author, Jack Dempsey, is an angry man - understandably so, but the rr program projects that anger. i I have plenty of my own anger without dragging Jack's around. RR softened into SMART, which Jack doesn't like and the SMART folks aren't fond of him, and on and on it goes. Same concept but SMART offers social support and, in numbers of people who use it (it is entirely free, unlike Jack's stuff), is much more successful than RR. Whether there is a significant difference in numbers for people for whom it works for, I don't know. But SMART is free and there is social support available through it, both online and in real time meetings.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
                        - Vernon Howard

Comment

Choochie,
                          You will love Rational Recovery. it is right in line with Allen Carr's book in its viewpoint on what alcohol addiction "really is." It's no nonesense, "you are responsible," "get over the excuses" kind of talk. Trimpey is vehemently (as in militaristically) opposed to "recovery groups." He says they do more harm than good because they keep people stuck and dependent and, of course, powerless. It resonated with me on many levels because I found the "recovery group speak" very influential and not in a good way. I can see both sides of the fence on this topic, and how AA can be beneficial, but for me it was not. RR was the beginning of my exploration into other ways out and it helped me see the whole thing from a completely different perspective.

Another one you might find interesting is by Stanton Peele, "The Truth About Addiction and Recovery." Another 5-star read!
                          "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
                          Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

Thanks everyone for these insightful reviews. They've been extremely helpful!

Comment

Choochie - Another book which I loved was "MINDFUL RECOVERY" worth checking out.....
                              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                              AF - JAN 1st 2010
                              NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X