Have a Plan B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a Plan B

As you can see I have been a member here for a long time. Lately I rarely post but I always read and try to stay current on what is happening at MWO. Lately I have read so many who seem to be struggling with the fact that they have been back to day one several times. First I would like to say that no one could possibly have more day ones than me. Everyday when I drank I would wake up and promise myself that was it and I would not drink again. That was in the morning and by the evening the stress of the day, work, the kids, the Ex, finances,the house, the chores and whatever other excuse I could come up with would allow me to forget my promise to myself and start all over again. Of course, that was only to wake up and do it all again. I know that I am not the only one who has done this but I always felt like I was. So if you add them up there were countless day ones. I guess the point of this post is that as long as I continued to do that very same thing the next day the same exact thing happened. At some point I needed to decide to take matters into my hands and change what I was doing. I'm not saying that there is only one way to do that. That is what My Way Out is all about. Some may be able to wake up and say that is it and just quit cold turkey. But not everyone can do that. Some may attend AA and find that gives them what they need to quit. Others will try supplements, medication, hypnosis,........there is an endless list and combination of the above. What is really important is that when you know what you ARE doing is NOT working then do something you are NOT doing until you find what DOES work. Don't give up.
    Like I said earlier I stopped posting months ago when I felt I had let someone here down in the worst way, but I have read so many posts lately of people sounding so beat down by doing the same thing over and over again I wanted to encourage them to make some change. Keep moving forward and when your plan fails you must change your plan. I am not saying do not continue to post when you are feeling this way, but I am encouraging you to think about what else you can do to find YOUR WAY OUT. I know it will be so worth it.
    I am wishing you all a sober Holiday Season!!!!!

Have a Plan B

Wow, great post Time! Thanks for the encouragement. I have had more day ones than I can count as well, and I guess that's why I'm here! Now on day 4 and hoping the new things I'm trying this time will finally break through this addicted brain of mine!

Comment

Have a Plan B

Excellent post T2C. Until I got willing to go to any length, I could not achieve contented sobriety. I used to have a list of things I was unwilling to do. Now I'm doing some of those things, and it's worth it.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Have a Plan B

Good post, Time and I agree with you completely. I, too, went away from MWO and went straight back to drinking. So, here I am again and this really did help earlier in the year.

Although starting again is hard work, I think any day that you do not put AL in your body is a beneficial one. Having 4 days AF is better than spending those 4 days drunk.

Mylife - I seem to be following you and I when I read some of your posts, it's like reading about my own life. I am on the morning of day 5 (again).

The only thing I don't like about Rational Recovery and Allen Carr's book is that they both say AA is wrong. NONE of these possible solutions are wrong. It really is each to their own and probably everyone on here has got a slightly different method of dealing with there AL problems.
        CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Comment

Have a Plan B

Thanks CW. I have to agree that in all my learning there is no "wrong" solution. Some people just stop on their own, others of us need help and each person has his or her own path to go down for their recovery. I'm just turning over all stones until I find the right one! Thanks for the great posts.

Comment

Have a Plan B

mylife;1013972 wrote: I'm just turning over all stones until I find the right one!
            I think that's the only way to go, mylife, and most of us have to turn over a lot of stones until we find what works for us.
            :h Mish :h
            sigpic
            Never give up...
            GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
            Remaining a perpetual possibility
            Only in a world of speculation.
            What might have been and what has been
            Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Have a Plan B

Time, thanks for this post - very thoughtful and right on I think - the idea of just continuing to try until you find what works for you and how that may be different from others! I hope you can stick with it this time.

Choochie

Comment

Have a Plan B

EXCELLENT post T2C!

You cannot expect to keep doing the same old thing and expecting different results..if it's NOT working for ya...TRY something else....

We are not all cut from the same cloth and different people will usedifferent methods of recovery thatsuits THEM.....

The very WORST thing you can do is stay stagnant, have a million slips/day ones, come on here and lament them and do NOTHING different the next time..

Keep doing what you are doing and you keep getting what you are getting...

Simples.
                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Have a Plan B

Thanks everyone. I hope that this hits home with some of those people who are stuck and need to try something new. It is especially important at this time of the year.

Comment

Have a Plan B

Wonderful post P and I wish you were here more often too!
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Have a Plan B

Thanks John....you are a doll and I mean that in the most manly way...you know like GI Joe!!!!

Comment

Have a Plan B

Great post, and point. As you said, there is no WRONG way as long as it works and we find happiness again. No one should become so discouraged they stop posting! As long as there is tomorrow, or even the next minute, there's an opportunity to find what works.
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Have a Plan B

time2change;1013951 wrote: As you can see I have been a member here for a long time. Lately I rarely post but I always read and try to stay current on what is happening at MWO. Lately I have read so many who seem to be struggling with the fact that they have been back to day one several times. First I would like to say that no one could possibly have more day ones than me. Everyday when I drank I would wake up and promise myself that was it and I would not drink again. That was in the morning and by the evening the stress of the day, work, the kids, the Ex, finances,the house, the chores and whatever other excuse I could come up with would allow me to forget my promise to myself and start all over again. Of course, that was only to wake up and do it all again. I know that I am not the only one who has done this but I always felt like I was. So if you add them up there were countless day ones. I guess the point of this post is that as long as I continued to do that very same thing the next day the same exact thing happened. At some point I needed to decide to take matters into my hands and change what I was doing. I'm not saying that there is only one way to do that. That is what My Way Out is all about. Some may be able to wake up and say that is it and just quit cold turkey. But not everyone can do that. Some may attend AA and find that gives them what they need to quit. Others will try supplements, medication, hypnosis,........there is an endless list and combination of the above. What is really important is that when you know what you ARE doing is NOT working then do something you are NOT doing until you find what DOES work. Don't give up.
                          Like I said earlier I stopped posting months ago when I felt I had let someone here down in the worst way, but I have read so many posts lately of people sounding so beat down by doing the same thing over and over again I wanted to encourage them to make some change. Keep moving forward and when your plan fails you must change your plan. I am not saying do not continue to post when you are feeling this way, but I am encouraging you to think about what else you can do to find YOUR WAY OUT. I know it will be so worth it.
                          I am wishing you all a sober Holiday Season!!!!!
                          nicely said sister time big big huggy
                          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Have a Plan B

Hi All
                            Time has brought up what i consider a very important topic. I have said before if you have been here for over 6 months and not getting to were you want to be time to try something else. Doesn't mean you have to leave here many of us use combinations of different programs and still keep our MWO friendships.
                            I was talking to someone in chat the other night and they commented on my success. I told them they didn't know me the last 10 years I was trying to get sober. For what ever reason this time was the time for me this program was what I needed. If i didn't keep trying and getting new info all those years and just kept trying the way I was going at it I would never have gotten sober.
                            Don't rule anything out. Don't not try a program that maybe didn't work in the past.Now might be the time you are ready for it. Their are many options don't stop at one if its not working keep looking you will find your way.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                            AF 5-16-08
                            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                            AF 5-16-08

Comment

Have a Plan B

Excellent post, especially at this time of year. We are individuals whose needs are all different but reaching for the same goal. Keep trying, keep reading different threads or trying a program that would suit your beliefs and needs.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X