The Journey is here...So Get your ass in gear for December to Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sunshinedaisies;1017720 wrote: Rog - destifer??? LOL - I love you!!!
    ok think of the word the would decode that word....lmao... i cant believe it ill have to look for the word i dont have all day but most untill 330 then a have one quiky job to do later ladies LMAO
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Good Morning to you all - Grateful - hope that you are feeling a bit more chipper? Swannie - what is going on - please empty out your in box so you will get our PM's to you....... Jan - sorry about your hard work and stuff. How far are you from Ruby - go and help her maybe??

Biz - so good to talk yesterday - hang in there - things will get better! RC - keep warm - it is cold here too but I doubt it is as cold as where you are! Bird - wrap up and keep warm too!

I have just got home from work and have to go back later to do the closing shift. Have cookies in the oven as we speak - yummy ones! Ruby - what are internet dugs? (why do I never know what these things are??). You look like you plan on being busy today! I went to the P.O. when I left work this morning and it really wasn't that busy which surprised me.

back later everyone. Love and hugs to you all,

Sun xx
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Meant 'drugs' Sunni. Listening to Roger too much! :H:H Oh, and his word is 'decipher', BTW.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Swannie - really odd - I tried calling you and the time was counting up as if you were there but it was still ringing....... I will try again later. hugs to you - hang in there.

Love, Sun XXX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Rog - I think you meant decipher. LOL - you are lovely!!

sun xx

Comment

How toDecipher the Meaning of a Word, When a Dictionary is Not Available

Before stepping into the instructions that DO NOT involve attending a foreign language class, please know that a course in German, or Latin, can greatly improve your vocabulary. After studying German, or Latin, lots of words begin to look more familiar, even if you've never seen them before.
              For example:

SOFA (Ger.) = COUCH, or SOFA (Eng.)

KINDERGARTEN (Ger.) = CHILD GARDEN, or KINDERGARTEN (Eng.)

HUND (Ger.) = DOG, or HOUND (Eng.)

REX (Lat.) = KING (Eng.)

MATER (Lat.) = MOTHER (Eng.)

CANIS (Lat.) = DOG, or CANINE (Eng.)

Next, understanding the difference between a suffix and a prefix is very important.

Prefix - a group of recognizeable letters at the BEGINNING of a word.
              Suffix - an addition of recognizable letters at the ENDING of a word.

Examples of words w/prefixes: Pregame, antibody, postnatal

Examples of words w/suffixes: Criminology, appendicitis, conservatism

In the examples above, we see the prefixes "pre", "anti", and "post". These are common, and simple, prefixes to remember.

Pre = preceeding, before
              Anti = against
              Post = afterward

Other examples of prefixes could include: ad (next to - adhere, advertisement); bi (two - bicycle, bilateral); co (together - cofounded, coagulate); dis (away with - disengage, disown); geo (world - geology, geothermal); mono (one - monologue, monolith); neo (new - neonatal, neolithic); omni (all - omnipotent, omnipresent); path (disease - pathogen, pathology); pseudo (fake - pseudopod, pseudoscience); tri (three - triathlon, tripod)

Many websites will freely share their knowledge of prefixes, and their meanings, with you. Look them up, if you wish to expand your knowledge of the subject, and print out any information you can. These small collections of letters may be easier to remember than you think.

The examples of suffixes, above, included "logy", "itis", and "ism". These are also common suffixes.

logy - the "study of" something
              itis - some sort of swelling, or inflammation
              ism - an idea or belief

Other examples of suffixes include: able (has the capability - irritable, palpable); ant (filled with - vibrant, arrogant); arian (a person connected, somehow, to something - librarian, vegetarian); cy (state of being - urgency, aristocracy); ment (result, or instrument, of an action - instrument, establishment); osis (condition - diagnosis, psychosis); pod (foot - pseudopod, tripod); science (to know - omniscience, conscience)

Again, you can learn a lot more about suffixes, and prefixes, from various websites. This, and some knowlege of the Latin or German language, can help you decipher many words.

As you may have noticed, many words just look like a prefix and suffix squished together. Well, that's what they are!

Geology: geo (world), logy (study of) - The study of the world.
              Pseudopod: pseudo (fake), pod (foot) - Snails, and the like. If you know how they move, this really makes sense!

When you begin recognizing different parts of words, often you will find a definition written into the actual word, itself. Not only does the word 'pseudopod' belong to a snail, now; but, it also tells us something about the snail.

Let's use our new-found knowledge of prefixes and suffixes to decipher the meaning of the English language's longest word:

antidisestablishmentarianism. (Ha ha!)

*Note also, that looking up the spelling of this word was not necessary. Having some memory of different prefixes and suffixes helps with spelling, too.

Believe it, or not, if you know the meaning of the word "establish", then you are very capable of defining this word without, so much as, touching a dictionary! Isn't that great?

anti - against
              dis - away with
              establish - to found or permenantly place something
              ment - the result, or instrument, of an action
              arian - a person connected, somehow, to something
              ism - an idea or belief

If we put these things together, we end up with:

a PERSON that is, somehow, connected to a BELIEF that is AGAINST the REMOVAL of the TOOL/RESULT of something that is established.

If we look up the word, now, it actually means the opposition of the belief that state support should be removed from a church establishment. Granted, the "church" part is no where to be found in "antidisestablishmentarianism", but if you were faced with a multiple-choice question, you would probably have enough information to find the right answer. Also, please keep in mind that this was an attempt at deciphering the longest word in the English language. I'm not Nostradamus, you know!
              .Fort Lauderdale Couponswww.Groupon.com/Fort-Lauderdale
              1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Like doing Lauderdale at 90% off!

What is Quantum Jumping?Quantum Jumping - Communicate With Your Subconscious Mind
              Discover Why Thousands of People are "Jumping" to Change Their Life

Learn French in 10 DaysPimsleurApproach.com/Learn-French
              World-famous Pimsleur Method. As seen on PBS - $9.95 w/ Free S&H.

Meanings of WordsDictionary.alot.com
              Instantly Find The Meaning of Any Word w/ the Free Dictionary Toolbar

Ads by Google

Read more: How to Decipher the Meaning of a Word, When a Dictionary is Not Available | eHow.com How to Decipher the Meaning of a Word, When a Dictionary is Not Available | eHow.com
              ok my job here is done HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH LMAO

Comment

Howdy all ! Been doing the Christmas thing. Put up my Nativity and all the outside decorations. This week........the inside gets done. Have about 25 people coming over for Christmas day. Tony
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

CLASS IS DISMISSED
                  HOPE YOU LADIES LEARNED SOMETHING HERE
                  BUT GREAT JOB RUBY AND SUNSHINE A- heheheheheheh

Comment

IAD;1018127 wrote: Howdy all ! Been doing the Christmas thing. Put up my Nativity and all the outside decorations. This week........the inside gets done. Have about 25 people coming over for Christmas day. Tony
                    AWESOME TONY rememebrr to take some you time too and relax

Comment

HEY! Missing you, Big Tony!
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Tony - and Rog - that was hilarious!!!

Love, Sun XXX

Comment

anyone ready for the NEXT WORD OF THE DAY HJEHEHEHE

Comment

Roger.....I know you didn't type that!!!!!
                            Hey Tony!!!
                            off to do some laundry!!
                            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

"Valiptuus now remember There might be a letter that is missing or replace by another letter ...... ANY TAKERS

Comment

mama bear;1018165 wrote: Roger.....I know you didn't type that!!!!!
                                Hey Tony!!!
                                off to do some laundry!!
                                no thats the great thing about copy and paste but i did have to read it so that i know what im posting is the right thing .. so im learning hehehehehehe:l:h:l:h

Comment

Working...
                                X