Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARTICLE ON SUGAR CONNECTION TO ALCOHOL

HOW IS *SUGAR* CONNECTED TO *ALCOHOL* ?
    When we are speaking of "sugar" we are really talking about "refined sugar". The body needs a certain amount of sugar to function normally, but these can be found in natural sources, such as a fresh piece of fruit.
    In 1981 a survey conducted by Dr Ann Mueller said 93% of alcoholics tested showed disturbances in blood sugar regulations when given a five or six hour glucose tolerance test. There is a definite connection between Sugar and consuming Alcohol. The most readable book I have found on this is Susan Powter's "Sober ... and Staying that Way" (S&STW). However, I have found that her information comes from the most intense book by Joan Matthews Larson "Seven Weeks to Sobriety". I will try and summarise the most relevant points for you before S-Day.
    Susan writes: "Sugar is a big problem in our disease (alcoholism), because sugar and alcohol are almost one and the same!" So, my light-bulb realisation the other day was right on target:
    - SUGAR, LIKE ALCOHOL, SATISFIES CRAVINGS
    - ELIMINATING SUGAR, LIKE ALCOHOL, REDUCES / ELIMINATES CRAVINGS

So what are the similarities between ALCOHOL and SUGAR? Both are simple carbohydrates; have no nutritional value; are absorbed very very fast; have lots of calories; are sugar-rich liquids; cause intense cravings.

They are both the fastest and quickest way to dump glucose into your body.

Balancing blood sugar is a complicated process that involves the pancreas, brain, endocrine glands, adrenal, pituitary, thyroid, and the digestive tract. This body of ours is designed beautifully to do its complicated daily work. The pancreatic hormone INSULIN is essential to carbohydrate metabolism, and is responsible for moving glucose (simple sugar) out of the bloodstream and into the cells where it can be used as ENERGY.

nt-size: 12px;">Our bodies, which house our heart and soul, are brilliant at regulating itself, and keeping everything IN BALANCE.
    Imagine what happens when we provide it with a dump of glucose. The pancreas goes into over-drive to produce more insulin to balance the overload. The more we drink (or eat sugar), the more insulin is required. Then one day we decide to stop drinking alcohol. The body-machine is still programmed to handle the overload of glucose, and more insulin is produced than is required. Now instead of a balanced blood-sugar level, we find ourselves with low blood-sugar, too little glucose, or hypoglycemia.
    The symptoms of low blood-sugar are; irritability, depression, aggressiveness, insomnia, restlessness, confusion, fatigue and nervousness. Sound familiar? They are the same symptoms as a "dry-drunk syndrome". That is why we feel so lousy when we stop drinking. Not wanting to feel that way we look for another source of glucose - SUGAR! It is no accident that many drinkers crave sugar as they give up alcohol. It is only natural! But the longer we keep the body-machine in over-drive, the longer it will take us to get healthy, and the more we will crave glucose in the form of sugar or alcohol.

THE CRAVINGS WE FEEL MAY BE FOR GLUCOSE TO BALANCE OUR BLOOD SUGAR
    Now you can see the wisdom of Jean's NUTRITIONAL RULE 1: NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU ABOUT EATING CANDY, AVOID IT LIKE A PLAGUE. EAT NO CANDY, NO SUGAR, NO ICE CREAM, NO HONEY. She goes on to say;
    When we permit our blood sugar levels to drop, we will experience cravings for alcohol and sugar. To prevent this, we should eat six small meals a day and follow a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. This regimen will minimize excessive feelings of anxiety and headaches and also keep depression at arm's length. By avoiding the ups and downs of a seesawing blood sugar level, we will do away with the cravings for a drink and for sugar. (GHHL Pg 124)

So now you have a simple Goal - Eat no candy, no sugar, no ice cream, no honey

And a Plan - Follow a high-protein, low carbohydrate diet, and eat six small meals a day.

Thanks Choochie. Good stuff on the bad stuff! John xx
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Good one Choochie, was eating a load of sweets when i seen that, i think i'll leave them untill the holidays
      AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Madmans - You have to watch your girlish figure!!:H:H We're waiting to post a real picture of yourself with those six-pack abs!!

Comment

Choochie, in addition to the blood sugar issues, the books I mentioned on AF Daily delve into two additional issues related to low seratonin and low beta endorphin. Very interesting stuff.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - have you seen this website - the book you're reading!

Radiant Recovery&#174 - Dr. Kathleen DesMaisons, author of Potatoes Not Prozac, The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program, Your Last Diet

Comment

Yes. the books are FAR more comprehensive, so the site is not a replacement for the books IMO.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank's for taking the time to post this Choochie. This is one of the clearest, simplest, and easy to understand explanation's of sugar craving's related to drinker's i've seen.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Great information Choochie. I have been following Joan Larsons plan for about 5 weeks now and have almost eliminated sugar and its no surprise that I havent had a single craving for alcohol in that time as well. I think its irrefutable that abnormal sugar metabolism creates cravings for al, depression and a whole host of other physical and mental problems. I now call it white poison.
                  I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Saff - good to know - I am learning a lot! Mr. G. - I had been hearing of this connection but until this article couldn't really piece it together. Makes sense - I think people get confused because there are different types of sugar.

Comment

Thanks Choochie - I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to sugar consumption but when I do start on it I literally can't stop. This has made me determined to try to eliminate refined sugars and after the holidays this will be my next focus. I take it Radiant Recovery is a book? I will check it out.
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

Hey guys, great info. ~~ I'm a huge fan and have read Joan Larson's book and referred back to it many times. For me this book has helped immensely. Figuring out that a big problem for me was the Omega-6 EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) Deficient Chemistry. Then taking the proper supplements to correct the deficiency really made a difference. Problem was that I don't think I ever got the sugar connection ingrained in my head which led me to a yo-yo back and forth with alcohol for the past 10 years. She more than covered the sugar connection it's just that I never really applied it (or maybe I didn't want to get it). Now after reading all this sugar info here and realizing it is a huge part of the craving issue I am beginning to learn and have been putting it into practice and it gives me the choice to drink or not. I know that if I drink I lose my choice because my mind goes on tilt and the booze and sugar (crappy carbs) control my life. I just want freedom from the anxiety and the booze has always been there as a crutch but my body now says no. Not to drag on but I find the sugar/alcohol/good nutrition discussion very helpful and know that if I want a choice this is the way to go.
                        ~~ only drank 2 days in November & felt like sh!+ for a week and a half after. Looking for an AF December. I know it won't be easy but it's doable. I'm not saying I will never drink again but right now I choose not to. MWO is a great and valuable resource ~ thanks

Comment

thank you for this clear article. it makes me more determined (as if i should need an excuse) to keep my blood suger levels under control. im diabetic and my levels swing from very high (way above what a normal person would experience) to very low (hypo). i control it with insulin injections and obviously these massive swings will not be helping anything. thanks for this fantastic reminder.
                          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Thanks choochie for this, it helps my on going battle with sweet things.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hey Chooch, good post. Can I ever relate. It my early months, I remember having ice cream sundays, with caramel sauce and chocalate chips piled on top, at night time. Your post mentions honey, I have eaten straight honey when these cravings hit. One battle I had was fighting no alcohol - which is a hug fight for us all - and also healthy nutrition at the same time. Also adding exercise on top of this, is a lot to do. For several months, on top of healthy balanced meals, I ate sometimes foods and sweets a lot. After I succeeded with not drinking for several months, than I went to a much strictor regime of low sugar and treats and crappy food.

I am still finding myself a little more cranky at times than I am used to. But I would rather be cranky than hungover, with a pickled brain, and not being able to really enjoy my life, my kids, and do a good job at work. Do any of you find you are more cranky at certain times? Hill
                              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X