Non Alcohol Wine - thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had friends visiting yesterday and they produced a bottle of non alcoholic wine for me. Very thoughtful of them but it sent me into a bit of a tailspin, it was like being handed a bottle of actual wine. I smiled and said thanks then panicked?what to do with it?? One of my guests said that whenever he is the driver and out with his mates he always drinks non alcoholic beer and we could share the bottle.

This felt to me like I would actually be drinking, would it trigger cravings, was I cheating, what would it smell like, taste like, it looked like real wine???.. OMG my head was a mess The bottle was put on the table with the red and white they had brought and which hadn?t caused me any distress???

In the end I avoided the issue by keeping my glass topped with Schloer grape juice with elderberry ? probably much the same thing as the damned non alcohol wine right?? The 2 drivers drank some and there was half a bottle left when they left and I poured it down the sink as if it was actual wine ? why? I don?t know.

I?ve thought about it on and off since yesterday and can?t get my head round it, if it?s just like water, soda etc what?s wrong with having a glass of it; it might be handy at Christmas or New Year. On the other hand why not just drink water or soda or whatever why pretend to be drinking wine.

So you see my dilemma, or maybe not. I?d really welcome your thoughts especially the ?oldies? on here.

Dewdrop :h
    Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Hi Dew, I think you did the right thing. Who knows what triggers these brains of ours. My counselor advised to avoid non-al wines and beers as some of them still have a small content of AL. Furthermore, you are right about the psychological side of it...the taste, smell etc. It could set off cravings etc. It would be interesting to hear the point of view from some with long term sobriety, but I would not do that to myself at this point either!

I don't personally see the need for it and am fine with water/juice/soda. I think you did great!

Comment

Dewdrop - AF wine or beer = :no:
      There are all the dangers you mentioned and also some are "low" AL and not completely free so way too dangerous. Also in company there is the danger of picking up the wrong drink. I think because of our association with AL we do NOT want to be drinking something that tasted similar to what gave us the problem, too big a chance of a trigger being set off.

You were absolutely right to pour it down the sink, I'd avoid it like the plague. Stick to drinks that have no association with AL, we are not pretending here to anyone that we drink, we don't. And another good reason is the AF wine normally tasted vile :H
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Dewdrop,

I've actually used a company here in the UK to buy non-Al wine who produced some brilliant stuff from the original grapes. And yes for a while I was quite happy slurping away but earlier this year I found a left over bottle of rose popped it open had a sip and honestly it set of one of the biggest cravings I'd had in months. It was hideously uncomfortable for about 2 hours.

So now I'm just sticking to the lovely sparkly fruit juices on special occasions and I'm now addicted to believe it or not tap water, no ice.

Hope that helps.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

You answered your own question Dewy. Too many associations with the real thing for me. Cat's piss anyway. Let the other folk suffer on it. Stick with the grapefruit juice etc.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

JackieClaire;1017292 wrote: Dewdrop,

I've actually used a company here in the UK to buy non-Al wine who produced some brilliant stuff from the original grapes. And yes for a while I was quite happy slurping away but earlier this year I found a left over bottle of rose popped it open had a sip and honestly it set of one of the biggest cravings I'd had in months. It was hideously uncomfortable for about 2 hours.

So now I'm just sticking to the lovely sparkly fruit juices on special occasions and I'm now addicted to believe it or not tap
            water, no ice.

Hope that helps.
            Wanna go clubbing sometime JC? My shout! :H

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Guitarista;1017296 wrote: Wanna go clubbing sometime JC? My shout! :H
              Any time, mate. I'll get me shoes.
              You want to see the the face on some of the waiters when I have to go through the rigmarole of ...........no no not the fizzy stuff in a posh green bottle........the stuff out of the tap in the kitchen........in a wine glass.......that's right a wine glass..........no and no ice...........yes that's right no ice.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Non AL wine is a big no-no for me as well. I associate too much with the real thing, and it will trigger a binge. I avoid all AF products altogether, I don't need to pretend I'm drinking the real thing. Normally where ever you go for a night out people always carry the mix for the drinks, nice fruit juices, pop even or my favuorite which is Perrier or Pelegrino with fresh lemon and limes. I stick to the mix and skip the rest.

Comment

JackieClaire;1017300 wrote: Any time, mate. I'll get me shoes.
                  You want to see the the face on some of the waiters when I have to go through the rigmarole of ...........no no not the fizzy stuff in a posh green bottle........the stuff out of the tap in the kitchen........in a wine glass.......that's right a wine glass..........no and no ice...........yes that's right no ice.
                  :H

Comment

I am not a big fan of AF wine. I bought myself a bottle the last time I tried to stop and it did trigger cravings for me, so another bottle is still sitting around gathering dust! I stick to the bubbly or EVEN TAP WATER (sorry have to have ice JC...lol) but the AF beers and wines hit too close to home for this alkie!!
                    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

hi dew drops and others,i love this site cause i can go to any thread i want,you, and many answered your question ,you have to get comfortable in what you do,i could spout off percentage figures,it says rt on the the bottle..ooo5 percent al volumne,it is not a lot,but it is what it is,russian roulette,sobriety is hard,but remember the day after,the night b4,i wish you well gyco

Comment

It's quite often 0.05%. Anyway why would you want to drink no-alcohol wine?Where's the point in that?

I've tried the stuff and it doesn't do anything for me, made me feel sick. Could not see the point at all.

Comment

Alcohol free wine itself is probably innocent enough but I'd be more concerned about being around drinkers. I generally don't like to be sober around people who are drinking. In my experience there is a consential vibe when we drink together, like its our own little conspiracy. I'd be more about staying away from drinking altogether.

Comment

Working...
                          X