Definition of denial.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definition of denial.

That little voice inside my head "prompted" me to look up the definition of denial this morning. While I read it, I felt like I was hit in the head with a ton of bricks and it made me feel compelled to share.

Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. [1] The subject may use:

simple denial - deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
    minimisation - admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalisation), or
    projection - admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility.

The concept of denial is particularly important to the study of addiction. The theory of denial was first researched seriously by Anna Freud. She classified denial as a mechanism of the immature mind, because it conflicts with the ability to learn from and cope with reality.

I have been deep in denial for far to long!

You can read more on Wikipedia.

Guy
    Day 2....Feeling much more serious this time!
    "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Definition of denial.

I'm in denial
    There is a voice in my head but I keep ignoring it!
    It is there in the early hours of the morning and when I wake
    I just spend most of my waking hours isolating it!!!

Comment

Definition of denial.

Denial is so powerful. It's not something that necessarily disspates with knowledge or experience. As human beings why do we deny reality when it works against our own wellbeing? I think because we perceive life in the moment as unbearable. I have never thought, and still do not think, that drunk people are happy people.

Comment

Definition of denial.

Guy
        That is very interesting to see in print. It is so easy for us drinkers to be in denial (especially the minimisation) because we can always find someone worse off than us. Someone who has lost more, drinks more, has more medical issues etc. I think it is so important to realize that no matter who is worse off the us we need to do whatever it takes to help ourselves. Glad to read that you feel more serious this time.
        Congrats on day 2 and remember to enjoy feeling good.
        Time
        PS... Hugs to Henry.

Comment

Definition of denial.

Thanks for writing that Sheri. I'm in the latter part of my thirties and I wondered what my 40s could look like. Your descriptions pretty much describe me up to that point.

Comment

Definition of denial.

Sheri;1017722 wrote: Hi Medic & Guy,

No one knows for sure how many chances we're going to get to save our lives but I knew mine were definitely running out

Just do it! You'll never regret getting sober, I promise!

Sheri
            Thank you Everyone for your words of encouragement, I do feel I am running out of chances as it is getting harder and harder to "pull back from the edge"! My 46th birthday will be January 5th and I am committed to have 30 days of sobriety under my belt when I wake up the morning! It has really hit home reading so many success stories from great fighters who I first met since I first found MWO. I am determined to be another one!

Love Guy!
            "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Definition of denial.

I had more 'lives' than a cat. Sometimes I just wished I'd run out of them when I was out of it some night and then I wouldn't have to deal with it all any more.
              Ok, yes, I was drinking 1 1/2 + litres of wine a night (weighing 36 kgs at the time), but I wasn't an alcoholic. I was drinking because of all the problems in my life and if everyone else would just stop nagging me I'd be more likely to be able to stop. So many stresses and pressures.
              Which dictionary did you use for that definition? In mine, next to the word "denial" is my picture.
              :h Mish :h
              sigpic
              Never give up...
              GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
              Remaining a perpetual possibility
              Only in a world of speculation.
              What might have been and what has been
              Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Definition of denial.

Well I don't think I'm in denial with where I was and sometimes am with alcohol but I may be in denial as to whether I can take back the control I once had and not abuse alcohol like I was for the rest of my life. Good thread and points. Thanks.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Definition of denial.

RC, we are all here to help you and you will make it. We love you, and you can't deny that!
                  :h Mish :h
                  sigpic
                  Never give up...
                  GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                  Remaining a perpetual possibility
                  Only in a world of speculation.
                  What might have been and what has been
                  Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Definition of denial.

Mish:l:l

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Definition of denial.

Guy

It is great to see a post from you here. Our journey started almost at the same time and there is a feeling of comradeship for me.

Growth in life is probably first confronting and then transforming reality. Denials, rationalizations, minimizations are all tools our monkey mind uses to keep us in bondage to various addictions.

The way out is to confront this reality and slowly and persistently chip away at these disabling addictions, repeating our positive habits one day at a time.

Wishing you all success in beating this chemical beast of alcohol!
                      *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

Definition of denial.

Good stuff Guy.

You can do it like i did it. Go for it!

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Definition of denial.

Guy.. I'm always glad to see you rise up to do battle. You've always got my support!
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                          X