Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Survey: Do you do Tai Chi?

Hi everyone:

Many of you know I am constantly on the search for new methods of holistic healing in the battle to regain sobriety, and maintain a solid long term abstinence. I also feel that these things can also help the long-term moderator.

I am doing research on the discipline of Tai Chi. Some of you may have seen someone doing this either in real life, or on a TV program. It is a slow, meditative exericise form, that emphasizes graceful and smooth movements. It appears to be a martial art in slow motion.

My working theory is to visualize a conceptual enemy (the booze), and practice the movements in meditative battle with it. Just an experiment. While I have been doing both aerobic, resistance strength, and stretching type exericises for several months now, I am looking to go further into new areas.

Do you know, or do Tai Chi? If so, how did you learn? Personal instructor, book, or video? Also, if you do this exercise, has it been your experience that it is helpful for controlling drinking urges or anxiety?

There seems to be actual scientific medical studies supporting it's benefits for many conditions. Any replies greatly appreciated.

Be well.

Neil

Hi Neil

I practice Wu Tang TAI cHI AND FIND IT MOST HELPFUL. iT IS RELAXING AND FOCUSES THE MIND ON BETTER THINGS, i AM LUCK ENOUGH TO HAVE A CLASS NEAR TO WHERE I LIVE IN THW UK, MY ADVICE IS TO GIVE IT A GO AFTER ALL IT CANT HURT BUT YOU DO NEED TO TAKE IT SERIOSLY

WHITESTAR

Comment

How does it just so happen that X posts the question about Tai Chi and an ad immediately pops on on this page in the right hand corner for purchasing a Tai Chi guidebook? Synchronicity? I think not. Advertising @ it's best? Yes. Cracked me up.

X- I see folks doing tai chi in my favorite park every Saturday morning. I have not a bit of coordination so would be irritated with myself, just as I am with yoga, but it looks beautiful. I love the slow and deliberate motion. Sure cannot be thinking about a cocktail to do it well- or hung over.

Comment

I noticed that too Lucky, that when we were discussing religion in another thread that these ads came up about God. Very interesting. I guess we should be careful what tawdry subjects we bring up.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

where the heck is unregistered?????

Comment

Ooooooo sounds like fun I wonder how we could steer the advertisements?

I'm going to start a new thread!
            :h :h :h :h

Comment

Gak! I just now noticed the advertisement.

It must be some sort of "bot", or an advertisement robot.

I have an idea. Somebody else start a thread about ginseng or something like that, with "ginseng" in the subject line. I wonder if an ad for ginseng will pop up.

Anyway, I went to Best Buy at lunch, and found a DVD on a short form of Tai Chi. From what I read, it has many forms and movements. I looked at it several years ago, and got a book about it, with pictures. I learned a few movements, and lost interest, and forgot about it. Now with this DVD video, maybe I can learn some more about it.

I asked a local martial arts instructor if he knew anyone around here who taught it, and he drew a blank.

Thanks for the replies so far. I know a lot of folks are resistant to the aerobic and weight lifting type exercises, because of their perceived discomfort. Tai Chi looked interesting because it combines physical movement with meditative elements.

Neil

Comment

My husband, 68, looking 58, does Tai Chi & Chi Quong. All of these practices are worth it. I do yoga, whenever I am disciplined enough. I think maybe Tai Chi,Chi Quong is particulary attractive to men who have been athletic or older. We know it keeps him young. He looks fab.

Oh..best way by far ...find a master..if not then ..a teacher...or go on a retreat...then supplement with videos

Comment

:H
                  :h :h :h :h

Comment

Working...
                  X