Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats harder to stop smoking or drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never smoked but would like to get the OH to stop smoking just wondered how hard is it?
    AF 5/jan/2011

I found smoking 100 times harder...I quit a zillion times before it stuck....it REALLY does depend on the person tho, I know there are peeps on here who gave up smoking no problem but struggled with the drink, for me, it was the other way around.
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

For me madman's, stopping smoking was much easier, actually i just said enough and stopped, but that was me and everyone is different, and re your oh they have to want to stop, :-) (sounds familar)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

MM - for me drinking was much harder than smoking. I didn't smoke very much, but was psychologically very hooked on what I did smoke. As you can see here, though, it's a mixed bag. So glad to be free of both! This is how life is supposed to be.

Comment

On Christmas Day, I'll bde ONE year quit smoking... (I thought that would Never happen - very addicted!)

I thought quitting drinking would be Lots easier.... I quit for 2 months earlier this year, 1 month another time... and now am having a very hard time just to get in the frame of mind to quit.

Comment

I agree with Oney.
            It's as individual as we are.
            I gave up smoking 20 years ago after a hell of a night and two packets. Never looked back. Couldn't think of anything worse that sticking one in my gob to this day (unless it's sticking it somewhere else I suppose )

Drinking ????? Love of the mother !!!!!
            I have worn it down for 18 months now, and having cracking success with Baclofen.
            But it has been the struggle of my life. And I'm not exactly a weak willed person.

Get your partner off those stinky cigs. It WILL kill them. Maybe even faster than alcohol would, who knows ?
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Smoking has to be easier- everyone encourages you to quit smoking, nobody advises you to quit drinking (unless you're real bad)
              The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Comment

SMOKING is 100 times harder (for me). Maybe because I know if I drink that in just a few hours I could do something totally stupid and humiliate myself. As with smoking I'm just slowly killing myself and never act like an arse. Being a bit sarcastic here because I really want to quit smoking. One step at a time. But I can say-I NEVER craved a drink like I do a cigarette.

Comment

I found quitting smoking pretty tough, but only for about 3-4 weeks and then never really cared again. I reckon I'll probably always care a little bit about not being able to drink - so deffo smoking was easier for me.
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

I think quitting smoking was 100 times harder then stopping drinking. After I stopped drinking I became so aware of my health that I just knew I had to quit smoking as well. I figured I might as well bite the bullet and stop slowly killing myself on both fronts. Oddly enough, this whole journey began because I wanted to loose a little weight. I had to cancel an appointment with a trainer because of a hangover. That's the day I found MWO. I've lost 17 pounds and feel happier and healthier then I thought possible. I still have 13 pounds to go. Honestly I think loosing weight is the toughest in all of this, because you have to eat to survive. Drinking and smoking don't do anything good and I don't miss either one.

Comment

I believe the smoking is harder to quit too, but like you Coochie I believe it's time to give my body the best I can for the next (hopefully) half century. Funny, I used to say if I quit smoking or drinking I would be too perfect with no bad habits. Why would one want ANY bad habits? Duh huh....

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hi Guys,

I smoked for a few years early on and I never really enjoyed it -- mostly only when I was drinking as a matter of fact! Anyway, for me, giving up smoking was so easy that I thought I had a "non addictive" personality. Haha! Joke was on me.

Comment

I found smoking much easier to give up because I was able to do it gradually over a longer period of time. I used the Nicorette gum, then patches. It took about a month and then that was it.
                          Now I'm using the meds to give up drinking. I'm finding it much easier on Baclofen.
                          :h Mish :h
                          sigpic
                          Never give up...
                          GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                          Remaining a perpetual possibility
                          Only in a world of speculation.
                          What might have been and what has been
                          Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Quitting smoking was much, much harder for me!
                            I had quit many times but always resumed after a few months. After receiving such wonderful support here I decided to look into a support group to quit smoking.

I found Quit Net, signed up & took all of their advice. I had never used a nicotine replacement product in the past but this time I did. You can use patches, gum, lozenges, whatever you choose & you have a much better chance at a successful quit. I still log on the website everyday like I do here. Try it

www.quitnet.com
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I'm on day 7 of quitting drinking and smoking, so I don't really know what the hell I was craving the first few days.....

I've been taking all the vitamins/supps and have been exercising. I'm glad to be at the end of day 7.... the alcohol and nicotine are out of my system, now it's all mental.

Never again,
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X