Phantom Limb Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Limb Syndrome

I've seen lots of posts about dreams recently, and I've been having my own. Vivid, bizarre dreams that usually involve me drinking and screwing up my 8 weeks of sobriety. It got me thinking about some of the other things I experience after being alcohol free.

I still:

- Have dreams about drinking, missing medications, being drunk and stupid
    - Wake up feeling hungover even though I'm not, because my body thinks I should be
    - Smell like stale beer when I sweat at the gym (even though I don't)
    - Absently reach for a beer can on my desk that used to be there but isn't now
    - Feel like I "forgot" something at the grocery store, or plan to make stops at liquor stores
    - Unconsciously plan around drinking days, or social events, knowing I would have been hungover
    - see bottles in my house out of the corner of my eye and think it's a beer bottle

I attribute a lot of this to "phantom limb syndrome." Anyone else get this?

I've also been having a lot of dreams involving high school. This last 8 weeks is the longest period of sobriety I've had since my sophomore year in high school (age 15.) Once I turned 16 and had a driver's license, I began smoking cigarettes and weed, and occasionally drinking. Once I turned 17, I got into LSD and various other drugs, and more liquor.

I suspect my brain is starting to rewire, and is trying frantically to sort out the last 20 years...

-Moglor

Phantom Limb Syndrome

This sounds like an oxymoron but I know what you mean, even though I can't think of anything to post...or, well, maybe I can, and just don't want to.
    :H:H:H
    :h Mish :h
    sigpic
    Never give up...
    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment