Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF BOOT CAMP DAY 24 (When The Moment Turned Romantic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your help folks

Hey folks. Stuck in the office between late meetings. Taking a break so I thought I shoot this out. Do not have much time so I can't channel Sarge. However, I am going through a bit of angst. Our company Christmas party is Friday night. While I have been sober through numerous business trips, luncheons, dinners, an the stress of the layoffs, I'm nervous about my sobriety facing this event. Is it that drinking thinking? Why do I ask questions I already know the answer to. Of course it is. Do I give someone my watch so they can tell me what time it is? Of course not. I just don't understand WHY NOW. I do NOT have the option of not going. I am a key player in the event. It's being held at the midtown Marriott where I got hammered last year. My CEO and others are going to say "John let me get you a drink." Perhaps it is the questions I fear most. I've fed so many of my colleagues different excuses why I'm not drinking. I've used most of the typical excuses. However, all the folks I used different bullshit on will all be there. "In Phoenix, didn't he tell you his Syphilis was acting up?" No in LA he said he had mild form of Ebola Zaire I'm almost positive!"

It not my nature to reach out to you for help with this. These are the things I usually just deal with, but I am genuinely concerned and admit I need your help with this. I thank you all in advance. John xxx
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Can you just tell them "No-thanks I 'm taking antibiotics" for whatever made-up reason-or you're on "cold " medication and don't want to risk any adverse reactions....? Or " I'm driving-so I can't drink"....
      It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Oh- remember , No one can make you drink- they can hand you a drink... but you don't have to drink it. Switch it out when no-one is talking to you.
        It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

John
          How about
          "i'm not drinking because I don't want a repeat of last year" That is if they know about you getting hammered.
          Or maybe a simple " I stopped drinking due to some health issues."
          No matter what you decide I know you know that there is no reason to drink just because somone expects you to.
          :l:l
          Patti

Comment

John : you know the problem,you know the challenge, you know the solution. It is only the pathway towards the problem which troubles you. Stay on the path, or as you would consider oh triathalon guru, stay the course. Worry not what other people may think/act/say/do, just stay as quietly focussed on the now of each breath. Methinks the deja vu of being hammered there last year is causing the angst. That is past. You are now different. I'm beginning finally to think of alcohol as not "temptation" as that implies something that i "want" or "desire", merely someone else's beverage of choice. You, John, will choose another beverage. Case closed.
            Love you buddy.:l

Comment

John,
              Just tell the truth - 'No thanks, I feel better without it'.
              As official grownups we don't owe anyone explanations for our decisions
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Syphilis????? Sorry, but that's just funny!!!
                Ditto what everyone else said...and remember we will all be waiting for a full report on Saturday morning.
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Noice lav. :agreed:

Comment

Not that you owe anyone an explanation, but if someone badgers you, why not just say, "No, thank you, I have a bit of a weakness." If they have any character they will have to respect you for your strength in recognising there is a problem and dealing with it. Then it's all out in the open and you can just stop worrying and get on with the business of having fun.
                    It has worked for me in social occassions...then I rushed home and ripped the top off a bottle.
                    :h Mish :h
                    sigpic
                    Never give up...
                    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                    Remaining a perpetual possibility
                    Only in a world of speculation.
                    What might have been and what has been
                    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Tell 'em nothing. Flash your biggest smile and say "Thanks, ... not now".

You've come a long way. Don't blow it. That would be inexcusably stupid, and you don't strike me as a stupid man. It's only a Christmas party.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. Frankly I think it boils down to a weak moment when I posted earlier. If I took a moment to think more at the time I wouldn't have. Am I concerned about Friday? You bet. However, I've been through some much more stressful stuff since I've been AF. In the past two days I have been inundated with gifts from peers, vendors, and clients. I have received enough scotch, vodka, and wine to reopen Studio 54. So perhaps too much attention/focus on partying, functions, and involvement w/ corporate party got to me. I am OK I MEAN THAT. I AM NOT going to risk my sobriety. I did get hammered last year, but that was at the party after the party. The execs have a block of rooms at the Marriott. After the general employee function ends we go all night. OK ENOUGH. Thanks again!!!

BTW, I did a dry run with a product presentation for 1Q11 with background audio compliments of Mr G. It went extremely well. I will send to anyone who wants a copy once I can remove all our proprietary stuff.
                        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hey Techie,
                          I go along with Lavande.
                          But, what happens to most of us when we say no thanks is that no one gives a damn. It is the anticipation and build uup and stories we've been running around in our heads in the build up to the event that does most of the damage..... and not putting a drink down if you're offered one.
                          Do like the Sarge said in his initial post!

Comment

I had faith in you to know yourself and what you want John. I would like a copy please.:l

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

You had me worried. I bet you'll have a better time than most because you won't wake up on Saturday wondering what you did or said and you'll be feeling great.

Enjoy yourself. I really miss NYC at this time of the year. It is great to be able to be there during the holidays.

Comment

Get Healthy through physical activity, exercise and healthy eating

For any one living in NSW who would like the services of a free health and fitness coach [phone service]. Govt initiative.
                                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                                X