Making a Sobriety Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Sobriety Plan

I'm going to post this on the toolbox thread, but I wanted to get it out there more broadly as well. It seems like there are quite a few new faces looking for help right now, and it might help to have tangible steps in one place.

xoxoxo Pride

I Need to Stop Drinking. What Should I Do?

1. Reality check: where are you on the consumption spectrum? An AUDIT score >7 meets DSM-IV criteria for at-risk drinking.
    AUDIT Alcohol Screening Test - Alcohol & Substance Abuse, Addiction, Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) Cult & Depression
    2. Make a list of the reasons you want to quit. Keep the list around as a reminder.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ing-22609.html
    3. Make a plan. Set a date to stop drinking. Post it in a place where you can see it often. Keep a copy in your purse or wallet. http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/pdf/form_tj2794.pdf
    4. Share your plan with others. Talk with your family members and trusted friends about your plan. Let them know how they can help you be successful.
    5. Evaluate your progress. Try a plan for 30 days. At the end of that period, review your reasons for stopping. Write down the benefits. Compare the lists.
    6. If you drink before the 30 day goal, don?t give up, begin again.
    Use your experience to help you stick with your plan this time.
    7. Continue your new behaviors.
    Set a goal for another 30 days. New behavior takes a while to become habit.
    8. If you are repeatedly unable to stick to your plan, get outside help.
    Talk with a doctor, call addiction support services in your area, join a self-help group, or do all three. If you are not sure whether a self-help group is for you but would like to try, go at least 3 times before you make your decision. Different groups, even within the same organization, can have a very different ?feel? and focus.
    9. Avoid stumbling blocks.
    You may need to find new friends or adopt a new lifestyle if your current life revolves around alcohol.
    10. Reward yourself.
    Use the money you spent on drinking to do something fun with your family or friends or to get something you?ve wanted for yourself but were reluctant to spend the money on. Make this a regular practice when you meet a personal goal.
    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Making a Sobriety Plan

Thanks, and those links are helpful...
    It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Making a Sobriety Plan

Brilliant post. Thanks.

:thanks:
      Moderating since 1st December 2010

"There is no such thing as failure, only feedback"

Comment

Making a Sobriety Plan

Great post, Pride. Thank you.
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Making a Sobriety Plan

Awesome post Pride! This should be a sticky all by itself in the "getting started" section IMO. Along with some encouragement to read the My Way Out Book to learn about this recovery program too I think.

Thanks for putting all the resources in one place!!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Making a Sobriety Plan

Thank you for posting this Pride!

Comment

Working...
            X