Tea Ceremony instead of Wine Party...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every night it's a little wine party at my house. It's quite nice and when I think about slowing down from my daily wine intake, I ask myself what it is that I would miss the most or, in other words, what is it that stops me from taking breaks. It's certainly not the taste. We make our own and tastes OK at best. I have come to the conclusion that most of all I would really miss the social aspects of opening the bottle, pouring it out, sitting and chatting as we sip the wine and topping off our glasses as need be. It's the ceremony.

I recently bought some lovely tea and have been enjoying brewing it on my wood stove. It actually 'almost' replaces the whole wine party atmosphere. Hubby loves it too. I may be on to something. I rearranged my kitchen taking the emphasis away from the liquor cabinet and more on the tea cupboard.

I'll keep you posted... no unreasonable expectations... just hope !!
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Tipple- That sounds really nice- and I see you've been AF for over a month-Congratulations!
    I love herbal teas and also Earl Grey tea- Earl Grey in the afternoon with some Lu biscuits-yum!
    It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

So much of it is the ritual aspect, more than I realized when I first quit.
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Tipp - tea has replaced alcohol for me - I drink 3 cups a day - love it!

Comment

Hi Tipp,

I discovered the same thing you're describing a couple of years ago.
          I have some beautiful teas that I got in Sth Korea last year, and I make up my own different flavoured teas as well, and of course cifferent chai recipes.
          But, the thing is the little bit of ceremony you put into it.

I often do the same with even a glass of water now.. Get a good glass, and make a little ceremony out of it. Even bought a beaut pottery water container!

These are the basic chai ingredients I use, but you can use heaps of dirrferent combinations, and if you like it hot, you can add chilli or pepper.
          I make it 1/4 water and 3/4 milk, with a little sugar added. I boil the whole lot up in a saucepan.

Add a piece of ginger, crushed or grated or thin sliced. Usually about 1/4 inch for 4 cups
          1 cardamom pod, crushed.
          1/4 to 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
          couple of cloves.

Just experiment... say, ginger cardamom and cinamon, or ginger with cardamom, clove, and cinamon or allspice, star anise, mace... all sorts of stuff.

Comment

Yum.........thanks Rags.

Comment

Working...
            X