Wading Through the Hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wading Through the Hurt

:new: So starts my journey. Giving up an addiction can be quite a lonely road. A person really finds out who their friends are. I want to make new friends and get my life back on track. I hope I can meet some new friends here who share my battle to get their life back.
    :hello: :new: AmyJ

?We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." Orson Welles quotes

Wading Through the Hurt

Amy,
    I too am new here. You won't be lonely here, I have found many people to reach out to here. Friends that don't support your sobriety are not real friends. We have to remove ourselves from people and places that threaten our sobriety, at least in the beginning. It's the most important thing right now. Please know that you are not alone and reach out for help and stay close to this site. My plan for today is to drink tons of water, read, post and be kind to myself. I know you can do this.

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Thanks Frosty. Sounds like we are in the same place. My mission today is the same as yours except I am going to add baking Christmas cookies. LOL

I must know if this horrible feeling of "aloneness" gets any better. I feel like all my friends have just disappeared and that I am driving my one good friend away with my paranoia!

?We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." Orson Welles quotes

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy and welcome, it does get better, stay strong, it's worth it.

Two

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy,

Tearing yourself away from a life filled with Alcohol really takes a complete life style change, and the road is not an easy one. You will find lots of support here, whether you want to moderate or completely abstain. Just be true to yourself, at the end of the day you're the one who has to look back at the reflection in the mirror, be happy for you.

All the best to you and welcome to MWO,

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Welcome Amy!
            "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

AmyJ;1021068 wrote: Thanks Frosty. Sounds like we are in the same place. My mission today is the same as yours except I am going to add baking Christmas cookies. LOL

I must know if this horrible feeling of "aloneness" gets any better. I feel like all my friends have just disappeared and that I am driving my one good friend away with my paranoia!
              :h I think the Christmas baking is a great idea, and you have friends here.

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy, Welcome to MWO, an good for you recognizing that you need to make some changes with your relationship to alcohol. I would suggest that you give yourself some time. The early days and weeks are not easy, but in time you will develop and new life, a much fuller life and yes, you will make new friends.

Nice to see you Frosty....I hope you are doing well!

Best Wishes to both of you!
                Kate
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Thanks everyone! I am finally beginning to feel like somebody cares. I'm so glad I found this place!

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy,
                    I am pretty new here, too, still trying to get that first 30 Days going. You will definitely make friends here :welcome:

A thought I had about losing existing friends, one thing I have found is that when I take steps to take care of myself, like walking away from friendships that don't support me, the Universe has a way of bringing into my life people who do support me.

Taking the step of self care by giving up an addiction is huge. I still only have the experience of taking that first step, but from what I have seen from other people here who are further along the path, it's probably the most life-affirming decision we can make.
                    Good luck to you as you begin your journey, and have fun baking today!

Sam
                    "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
                    Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Samantha T.;1021121 wrote:
                      A thought I had about losing existing friends, one thing I have found is that when I take steps to take care of myself, like walking away from friendships that don't support me, the Universe has a way of bringing into my life people who do support me.
                      So true Sam.
                      Hi Amy:welcome:

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Thank you for the advice everyone. It made me feel good to have someone say to go easy on yourself at first. I was all set to jump in with both feet and conquer this thing right off the bat. Today I realized that is not going to be so easy. I made it through today, but no promises for tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck! I am so happy I found this place and the support of wonderful people, but I still can't stop the jitters!

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

:welcome:Hi Amy - just wanted to let you know that you have found a good place. Read as much as you can on the site and post your questions.

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy, just take it one day at a time. When I looked at it as never drinking again, or stopping for 30 days it was very overwhelming for me and I found it actually harder then it needed to be. Just focus on the day and evening ahead of you, even by the hour or minute if a craving hits you hard. You have lots of support and people here to help you out anyway they can, even a kind and gentle word can do wonders.

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

You are so right, Gia (Is that what you like to be called?). A gentle word can do wonders and I guess that's what I am looking for here. I am actually already somewhat on the road to recovery. My big question now is whether I can afford to let myself drink now and then. I have been craving a drink the last few days and would love to tip a few for the holidays. Would that be a HUGE mistake? I'm not drinking in closets anymore and have even made it through a crisis or two without turning to a bottle. Seems like my family doesn't care one way or another. They leave it up to me. I hear neither kind nor negative words. Sometimes I wish I would hear yelling! At least it would be something!

Comment

Working...
                              X