Wading Through the Hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wading Through the Hurt

If you want to lose all interest in alcohol and stop the "jitters" totally, you might want to consider taking baclofen. My daily and suicidal drinking habit has been stopped in its tracks effortlessly, and almost instantly. (I was on between 3 and 6 liters of 5% beer nightly - or 2 bottles of wine if I was trying to be stylish about it - now it's pretty much zero - I drink twice a month, on average, and tiny amounts.) The best thing about baclofen - apart from a sudden absence of hangovers - is that I don't spend the whole day struggling not to drink. It doesn't work for everyone but for me it's been a life saver. I recommend it to everyone who struggles daily with alcohol. My only regret is that I didn't know about it 10 years ago.

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Good morning Amy,
      Well, it looks like you've made a good start here!
      You'll find many people here to help you on your journey (rather than a battle).
      It's so unnerving stepping away from the comfort zone of drinking, so give yourself time to make the changes you want in your life.
      And like Seethepony says, taking medication can make things a lot easier for you.
      Stopping drinking at Christmas time can be awkward, as EVERYONE round you will be having Chrissy drink.
      Whether you choose to moderate or go AF over thius time is up to you, but I feel that either way you will need a reasonable amount of resolve, and some strategies to put in place if someone puts a drink in your hand or wants to keep filling your glass.
      We so often make this harder than it needs to be.
      Most people don't care if you say "I'm not drinking tonight", and you don't really need to make up any excuses for not drinking.
      If someone does start bagging you out for not drinking, is that person worth being with?
      Usually it is the mind games we play of what we think people MIGHT say or do that we play over and over in our minds before going to the party, pub, Christmas party etc. that often causes us so much anguish and self doubt. So, why not try playing a positive movie in your mind. And like RJ says in her book, start thinking about alcohol with the importance you'd treat butter!

Be gentle with yourself.
      You can do whatever you choose to do.
      There's also heaps of good info on the site.
      Enjoy your journey

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hello & welcome Amy & Frosty!!!

This is a good place & you will find lots of support here.
        The best thing you can do is to change your thinking about AL. I did that with the help of the Hypno CDs, use them if you can. When you start thinking about AL as the poison it really is - things just get easier.

You have lots of company here please just ask if you have questions, OK?

Wishing you both the best!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Seethepony;1021682 wrote: If you want to lose all interest in alcohol and stop the "jitters" totally, you might want to consider taking baclofen. My daily and suicidal drinking habit has been stopped in its tracks effortlessly, and almost instantly. (I was on between 3 and 6 liters of 5% beer nightly - or 2 bottles of wine if I was trying to be stylish about it - now it's pretty much zero - I drink twice a month, on average, and tiny amounts.) The best thing about baclofen - apart from a sudden absence of hangovers - is that I don't spend the whole day struggling not to drink. It doesn't work for everyone but for me it's been a life saver. I recommend it to everyone who struggles daily with alcohol. My only regret is that I didn't know about it 10 years ago.
          Hi Amy and Welcome to the best place on earth for understanding and support on your journey. Like Seethepony, I am on Baclofen and it has been a miracle drug for me. Al has lost its appeal. I am only into the treatment a few weeks and I can feel a perceptible change already. We each have to find what works for us, and for me it has been Bac. I know you will find what works for you and I wish you every success on your journey. Best wishes.
          Mish
          :h Mish :h
          sigpic
          Never give up...
          GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
          Remaining a perpetual possibility
          Only in a world of speculation.
          What might have been and what has been
          Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Welcome Amy!

Best wishes on your journey. Lot's of great reading here on this site for you.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Gsta I wanted to let you know your music, my presentation, our collaboration went exceedingly well. Presented as a dry run last week, and again in its final iteration at our company x-mas party Friday night. Everyone was impressed and felt it presented HAL's initiatives for 2011 very well. Lots of comments on your music all positive. Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to much more on yourTube. Thanks again...John
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

welcome Amy and frosty....
                My little sister's name is Amy, so I have to look out for you!!!
                Welcome to our family. Post and share and make new friends!
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

GGRRRR! I just posted a long message and lost it! I give up!
                  :hello: :new: AmyJ

?We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." Orson Welles quotes

Comment

Wading Through the Hurt

Hi Amy,
                    I'm doing this pretty much alone except for here and a 2 friends via email/phone. I've had to "drop" everyone that i used to get drunk with - but that didn't stop me from going from moderate drinking to frequently wrecked over the last 2 years all on my own... that is not the way you make real friends !! You are making a change in your life, opening a door, who knows who may come in ? There are people who care, who will want to understand you and respect your choices. I agree with what everyone here has said, may i add that there is one really brave, intelligent person, who matters and can make all the difference - it's you - otherwise you would not have bothered to find this site and post here. Welcome, take baby steps, read up on the supplements, drugs here, do whatever you need to do - pay no attention to friends and family that can't/don't want to cope with where you are at/what you are doing. This is your life, your chance to move on, i wish you faith, hope and success.

Comment

Working...
                    X