Moderating has been bouncy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a brief relapse in mid-November, then AF until I started my new job on December 1, I have seen that I must focus on limiting the occasions I drink as a much more effective moderation strategy than limiting how much I drink. My third working day, Friday 3rd, was the company's year end bash, out at a dam in the country. I drank quite a bit, had lots of fun, embarrassed myself a little bit, and got a bit hurt water skiing on an inflatable tube. I was there by a lift, not my scooter, and got a lift back with someone else, leaving my scooter and house keys in the first lift's car.

This sentenced me to stay over at my friend's house, with more beer Friday night, and more beer over breakfast Saturday morning. This tapered off but continued to Sunday afternoon. I would previously have been getting worse, not better, on Sunday, and at least I attended work on Monday feeling healthy.

Last night I popped out to the shop between two heavy thunder showers, but when I left the shop it was raining heavily, so I was forced to shelter in the the local sports pub, where I ran into two old drinking colleagues. I enjoyed how easy it was to come home after drinking only two Guinness, which I have sorely missed the last few months.

Have you thought about putting some strategies into place when you find yourself in drinking situations that you don't necessarily want to be in?

Comment

Rags;1021332 wrote: Have you thought about putting some strategies into place when you find yourself in drinking situations that you don't necessarily want to be in?
      I suppose I should, but such situations are few and far between. I wanted to drink on that Friday, and the rest of the weekend was relatively light drinking situations I chose to be in.

Comment

logic

Hi Brady,

you said:

I have seen that I must focus on limiting the occasions I drink as a much more effective moderation strategy than limiting how much I drink

I have used this kind of logic before and admittedly when I was more in control of my drinking than I am now. I feel compelled to tell you that this is not necessarily a solution and could go either way. Even if you do manage to limit those occasions, will you view the other times as an opportunity to not count your units? In short, do you feel like it is ok to binge drink as long as it is on less occasions?

If so, that is a logic I used for years. Now I am binge drinking most days to cope with stress and finding I can stop for one or two days but cannot completely stop. Maybe something to consider.

Comment

It sounds as if once you start, you often have trouble stopping. You could turn into a binge-drinker, and by limiting your 'occasions' you may find yourself making the sessions longer.
          For me I conned myself into thinking a blow out once a week to ten days might be ok. It wasn't because I could't control how long the binges actually were - 1 evening or 2 days. Then I started saying "Ok, I'll bring then next one forward and have longer afterwards", slippery slope.

Have a go and let us know how you get along.

Comment

I firmly believe that true, low risk moderation, is very rarely accomplished. Is there anyone out there actually doing it? By this I mean someone who by choice is predictably able to control their episodes and have no alcohol related problems. In other words drink like a "normal" once the threshold to abuse has been crossed. If so I'd like a show of hands. I could only find one on the long term moders site. I, therefore hope you do well but believe you are likely to continue to binge to excess and potentially become a much less than moderate drinker. What makes you think you can do the same thing you did last time with a different result?
            All the best
            Sunny

Comment

Brad, are you calling this sort of drinking "Moderating?". Perhaps you have done some cutting back, but I encourage you to read the "My Way Out" description of "Moderating". Of course, you are free to drink however you wish to drink. But, for the sake of others who intend to "Moderate", it is important that accurate information be available. I am also with Sunny, rarely is true moderating accomplished.
              Best of Luck to You!
              Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Ukblonde;1021376 wrote: It sounds as if once you start, you often have trouble stopping. You could turn into a binge-drinker, and by limiting your 'occasions' you may find yourself making the sessions longer.
                For me I conned myself into thinking a blow out once a week to ten days might be ok. It wasn't because I could't control how long the binges actually were - 1 evening or 2 days. Then I started saying "Ok, I'll bring then next one forward and have longer afterwards", slippery slope.

Have a go and let us know how you get along.
                Uk, this is the reasoning I used to justify my binges for a long time. It proved to be a transition period between daily drinking and stopping completely, but you are correct that it's a slippery slope. I know I can't moderate. Total abstinance is imperative for me.
                :h Mish :h
                sigpic
                Never give up...
                GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                Remaining a perpetual possibility
                Only in a world of speculation.
                What might have been and what has been
                Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...