substitute habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

substitute habits

I'm finding I'm eating more junk food and drinking more coffee when not drinking alcohol. Does anybody else have unusual cravings whilst off the juice?

substitute habits

I have to watch my new sweet tooth that has developed, as i'm loving cake and ice cream, but that intake is moderating itself these day's. I'm eating more fruit and veg, and exercising smarter and more regularly. I only ate junk food when i was drunk, mostly. I find i act on my awareness of what's good for me more so now, than when i was drinking, of course.
    Watch the coffee doesn't rev you up too much and make you feel more anxious and less calm. A relaxed, settled nervous system is good to base our sobriety on, especially after the battering it's taken. And too much sugar will mess with your mood's, and general feeling of well being, as difficult as it is to resist the sweet stuff when newly giving up the grog.

Best wishes, G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

substitute habits

Thanks for the caffeine reminder. Forgot how it plays with the nervous system and blood sugar levels.

Comment

substitute habits

Medic, I am the same way as well. But like G-Man it's been settling down now the longer I am AF. I think my body is returning to normal. As much as I love my coffee I find too much dehydrates me so I drink lots of water with fresh lemons and limes as well to balance it off. Thankfully, it hasn't effected my sleep.

Comment

substitute habits

yep for me everything has changed. I never used to eat any sweets or chocolate at all, always prefering savoury things. Now I get quite excited in the confectionary isle of the supermarket but I have a strict rule for myself that its only on weekends, that way I control my intake and make it more of a treat to look forward to. If we dont keep it in check there is a real danger we become totally addicted to sugar.

I also used to only drink one or two coffees a day and now its about four. The reason being because I enjoy the buzz it gives me as I now get no buzz elsewhere. Again im very aware of it not becoming an addiction and one day i will quit it altogether, but for now i will allow the slight over indulgence!

I guess balance is key and when we know we are tipping that balance its time to pull back. The good thing is with a clear sober head on we can make rational choices that before we werent capable of.
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

substitute habits

I've been AF now for 6 months and still loving the sweets. I told myself after New Years, I am quitting the sugar and will start working out more. The sugar really drags me down, I am exhausted by 5:00 pm and I know it is all the sugar, however, I believe for myself I needed it to get me where I am, but I think after the holidays I am going to cut it out.

Comment

substitute habits

Medic, I think we all have had this switch from alcohol to sugary stuff. Doggygirl has posted some good things she's learning from a couple of books on the subject. One is Potatoes Not Prozac. I think she might even start a thread on it. But, sugar wreaks havoc on our system if we overdo it - for sure! Are you taking L-Glutamine and drinking lots of water with lemon? Both of those help.

My cravings have evened out a lot - I'm at day 69 AF. But, they are still there. Since I don't have the alcohol turning into sugar in my body, my body craves it. What I do is make sure I eat real food before I let myself have the sugar - esp. fresh vegies and protein in the form of cheese and beans. I think any protein will do - but try to eat several small meals a day - 4-5 is best if you can swing it.

Choochie

Comment

substitute habits

Thanks for the advice Choochie.

Comment

Working...
                X