supplements - anyone tried maté ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all Yerba mate or just Mat? is a plant that you brew like tea (it has caffeine and tannins in it) It is a stimulant and dilates the cardio-vascular system. It's big in parts of south america and the middle east. OK nothing new there, but new to me is the following, according to what i've just read studies (not cited) show that in populations where there is a high level of AL consumption, the mat? drinkers consume less and do not become dependant. Anecdotal evidence says it works to reduce cravings, keeps you relaxed, helps in detox, and altho' a stimulant it's much gentler in action than caffeine. I used to drink it years ago (when absolutely AL free, but went right off it when i started modding, hummmmmm !!) The links i have are in french - my english is not working today :$

Thought i'd post this here, (before i forget !) anyone else come across this ?

Hi Kelive. I drink mate tea every so often!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Buy Delicious Mate Teas Online | Teavana

Chai Spice Mate Tea Bags: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Just about every third person here drinks it, and openly walking in the street with a flask in hand with a metal style straw supping from a wooden cup and sharing happily..it is the accepted norm here...
      same as Guarana

Comment

Techie, whats it like, how does it affect you?
        You ever had it Jan?
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

startingover;1025074 wrote: Techie, whats it like, how does it affect you?
          You ever had it Jan?
          :xxx: Tell her nowt!
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Chillgirl;1025091 wrote: :xxx: Tell her nowt!
            Meanie :H:H:H
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I don't know why you should say that Chill..???????
              There is absolutley NOTHING wrong with it..
              it is a herb, It gives a simular effect to coffee/caffine in the respect as it stimulates your alertness and energy but is also very calming, but NOT a buzz...it is NOT addictive and NOT harmful...!!and it is NOT like redbull or other "power drinks"
              The same as Guaranna..it is sold in all supermarkets, health stores and pharmacys... I always used to have it daily when I was younger and working very hard and long hours..
              When my drinking and lifestyle changed I stopped, basically I forgot about it..

Since moving here 9 years ago I noticed people drinkng Mate walking in the streets, sitting at bustops sharing it...Then is a very large Latin American population living here, it is the norm, an everyday way of life, alcohol abuse amongst them is extreemly low, the main drunks you see here are the european expats or tourists..!!

Comment

Thanks folks Oooops, feel a bit daft now, posted on spur of the moment rather than looking up more stuff here, nothing like a newbie for trying to re-invent the wheels everyone else is already using !! Ladyjan, dunno what it is with tourists (esp the europeans) i agree !! Here in west france many of the english seem to drink AL and nothing else... the fact that Al is cheaper here cannot be the only reason, surely ? Same for me, life got silly in came the drink, out went the mate and all the other things that keep a body functioning properly.... Time to recover my good habits !!

Comment

Hello,

I am in the states, but have many friends from Argentina that swear by Yerba Mate. None of them have problems with AL, so I've never heard that angle, but maybe that's why! They say it is known in Argentina for general health and has been studied there also as it seems to prevent heart disease.

I love tea in general, so I would say, it can't hurt! Give it a try.

Comment

Hm, sounds interesting. Since I'm pretty much not drinking at all, thanks to baclofen, I'm looking out for something I can drink, that doesn't involve buckets of sugar and artificial colourants... (my teeth are like Shane McGowans as it is...)

Comment

Yep Mate is good, there is nothing wrong in it at all..
                      you were very correct Kelvie to bring it to the head, I had forgotten just how good it was, crazy really living here & seeing every day, I should've had it while I was fighting my battle to AF'ness.....
                      it is a natural duretic which is good for cleansing ..it is also good for the heart and some findings have even said good against cancer, but nothing proven.
                      The old indians were wise old folks..it is a very social drink, and has the same traditional social significance amongst the south Americans, as the same as the "English" have their tea.......
                      I don't see why anyone should have the impression it is bad...

I've just gone out and bought a kilo bag of it, and drinking as I type..yep it is nice..I had forgotten..
                      thankyou Kelvie:goodjob:

Yerba maté - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Awwww thanks Ladyjan I think the problem with any plant based stuff is that the major pharmacuticals feel "threatened" by simple, cheap, even grow your own "drugs", treatments. Then there is the problem of finding "objective" empirical studies... Have read further and it seems that it doesn't agree with everyone. But then neither do all "prescribed" remedies. Get the impression it is NOT ok when pregnant/breastfeeding, and remember that I didn't take it then. Cool to see renewed interest in it tho' - love it when traditional wisdom is vindicated by "modern" research

Comment

kelvie;1025232 wrote: Awwww thanks Ladyjan I think the problem with any plant based stuff is that the major pharmacuticals feel "threatened" by simple, cheap, even grow your own "drugs", treatments. Then there is the problem of finding "objective" empirical studies... Have read further and it seems that it doesn't agree with everyone. But then neither do all "prescribed" remedies. Get the impression it is NOT ok when pregnant/breastfeeding, and remember that I didn't take it then. Cool to see renewed interest in it tho' - love it when traditional wisdom is vindicated by "modern" research
                          You're very welcome Kelvie :l
                          and as for Mate not agreeing with everyone...does anything ????? as you rightly added..!
                          No matter how good a thing is reckoned to be..
                          & about breastfeeding/pregnant all caution is taken with just about everything & quite rightly as everything is passed to the babe..
                          :l

Comment

There is some dispute over whether it contains caffeine. For a long time I kept reading that it did not, as indicated by rigorous testing. While it may have an energizing effect, along with other benefits, the stimulating aspect is /was a procuct of it's unique pharmacology, not the effect of caffeine. Tested by whom and by what means is the question. We all know how testing results can be manipulated. Even if it DOES contain caffeine, it is supposedly about half that of coffee. I decided to go for the placebo efffect and drink it with a bit of agave nectar, and sometimes brew it together with pau d'arco. I even have the gourd and bombilla.
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                            X