Rough morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough morning

The phone rang this morning at 9am... a neighbour down the road (where my horses are boarded). She'd dumped her car in the ditch last night... she was crying, beside herself, her and her husband (who have been having a really rough time) had a big fall out... it's all over.. he's spent hours cursing her, told her to get out, and so on.

I have been a bit of a go-to person for both of them in the past few months. He's had some pretty severe drinking issues in the past (from what I gather, DUIs, lost license, etc.) and has taken up his old hobby again when things were really rocky at home. She's never drank (don't mean to step on anyone's toes but she's over the top religious) but is keeping her hubby company now.. if you will 'to find common ground'.

:upset: It is really quite heart breaking to see 2 good people (who probably really love each other, too) go through such hell. And, from over 'here' it is plain as day that whenever they bring AL into the mix, things go REALLY wrong for them. I've been trying to point that out as gently as I can for the past little while.

Mr. Wonderful is out with her right now, pulling her car out and I guess I'll see what the rest of the day brings. If her hubby ends up coming by I will offer to go with him to some AA meetings again. He never took me up on it previously. Other than that, I feel quite helpless.

Whenever the idea of a drink seems reasonable or a nice thought... I will think of these two and the devastation AL is causing in their marriage and life. Not to mention the danger they put themselves and others in, drinking and driving.
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Rough morning

thanks sunni..I needed this. AL really is useless isn;t it?
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Rough morning

Cyber hugs, you're doing what you can, not always possible to save people from themselves, sometimes all we can do is pick up the pieces (again and again...) or just be around... you can't help anymore than that until (sadly unless) they decide to help themselves. At least you are being offering to be part of a solution and not being part of their problem. know this scenario, reckon your take on it is the best way of seeing it, just wanted to send some empathy, you have enough on your plate with it coming up to xmas and keeping up your own good work against AL. Don't let it get you down, and take care xx

Comment

Rough morning

Tough one Sunny. You know, you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. This man may prefer his life the way he is and without wanting to offend anyone, I have known very religious people who thought part of their religion was suffering and they liked to be "the victim" by staying in a situation that kept them that way. I'm not in anyway criticizing anyone. Everyone over the age of 18 makes their own choices as to how they live and where they chose to be.
        Just do what you feel you need to do to try and help them, then stand back and let things take their course. There is only so much we can do.
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Rough morning

I agree totally with Stirly and Kelvie.

Does the hubby admit he is an alcoholic??
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Rough morning

This is so heart breaking GG, AL devastates lives :upset:
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

Rough morning

I hope the Mr. takes you up on your offer, Sunny. What a sad situation.

Comment

Rough morning

I have a couple of friends that in no way would ever describe themselves as alcoholics, but drink is so very central to their lives, nothing happens if it doesn't involve drink (funnily enough now that I think of it they are also a bit religious - have scruples and things but I don't think there is any connection?), but they are really nice people but without a shadow of a doubt their marriage is in tatters because it would seem to me they couldn't be arsed dealing with important matters between them, they just..drink. I did the same and my marriage was a joke for a long time
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
                X