Pre menstrual drinking????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, i've not been on the site long as i've only just discovered it. The quick version of my story is.... i've always drunk too much as my parents always drank every evening, so my hubby & I followed the habit, usually drinking at least a bottle of red wine every evening and I never considered that we had a problem. About a year ago I started buying extra and drinking more when he went to bed. 4 months ago I suddenly craved a drink in a morning and gave in....... my family found out and were very supportive (in their own way) they made up a rota so that I was never on my own during the day but Steve & I had a bottle each every evening which was my treat. I coped really well because I really wanted to stop the secret drinking, however I've caved in 3 times since then, One of which was this monday and i've just realised that it's in the few days before my period that I give in to it. Has anyone else noticed this???

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Paula:new:
    sigpicXXX

Dear Paula,

Welcome! :welcome:

Yes, I have heard it from more than just me around here that PMS'ing is a tough time for a lot of us. Even when I basically didn't drink but an occasional drink for years in there, it was the day before and it was the first day of my cycle that I would have one. Just more tense then. I think if you ordered the CD's they may help take away some of the stress/tension brought on by the hormonal fluctuations. At least for me, I find them quite relaxing.

I wish you luck in this - read a bunch of the posts and come back often!

:l Mary

Comment

Dear Paula..Absolutely! I was a binge drinker and started recording when I would do it..it ALWAYS occured the week before my period...I went on the topamax right about the time that I made that connection and was more mindful during that time so that I wouldn't be taken over...it makes sense that one would want to drink more at that time. Awareness is powerful..I agree with MKR as well..whatever you can do to take special care of yourself during this time..the CDs, the calmes forte..talk about it with your husband and ask him to support you during that time (if he is open to it) as you will be particularly vulnerable..and yes, keep coming back..especially during that time!
      Dianne

Comment

Yep, Me Too

Happens to me too, thank my lucky stars that I don't have the desire for a drink until "Happy Hour"
        But my worse days have been during "Hell Week" ( I've been marking my moods, and my drinking on my calender, for a few months now) I'm thinking it's because our systems are dragged out, and our stress tolerence is much lower, for people like us, (I too have a family history of drinkers, a long one, coming from both sides)when we feel bad, where do we turn?? Are you taking the vitamins, etc they recommend here? I found they help, but I still need to avoid as much stress as possible. I also added calcium and magnesium to the list from what I've been reading about new research, it's suppose to help to calm PMS symptoms, added bonus is if you have a glass of low fat milk at bed time it'll help with weight loss, and promotes better sleep.

Kat

Comment

Yer me too. I am normally very stressed out but that week is worse. Doing all the right things, hang in there mate.
          Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

Working...
          X