a promise to myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a promise to myself

I'm never one for making promises I can't deliver (usually) but I had a pretty bad night and I thought my liver and kidneys were starting to pack in. I had pains in my side and back all night. I couldn't sleep. I'd just come off drinking for about 16 days in a row. Kept it to wine until four days ago. I had got this bottle of single malt whiskey I got as a christmas present from my employer and I let it lay in my room. After three days I couldn't leave it and I drank most of it over a 48 hour period. It is time to promise myself that I will not drink anymore, be it beer, wine, or anything else.

Day one today - 10.53 am on 29/12/10

a promise to myself

Medic,
    Sounds like you are feeling miserable right now. It is pretty scary to have your body tell you enough already. I have had pain for days after a drinking episode, and know I must have liver damage. I find that if I have booze in the house, I will drink it. Great that you are committing to AF as of today. Sending you support.
    Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

a promise to myself

Let's do it Medic. You will be in the company of alot of people like me who have had enough and have started to do something serious about it to start the New Year right. We can all fight this together.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

a promise to myself

Hi there Medic ... you had 16 days of not drinking?? If so, you have proven you can do it again. You know you will feel better. Hope you and Allswell hang in there, and let us know how/what you are doing, best, j
        Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

a promise to myself

Good decision, Medic. I, too know that liver/kidney pain and it made me realise that the years of abusing Al were catching up with me. It gave me a really strong motivation to completely become AF. I haven't touched a drop for 26 days which must be an all time record for me. I'm really proud of the choices you're making and wish you well. I'll be watching your posts with interest.
          :h Mish :h
          sigpic
          Never give up...
          GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
          Remaining a perpetual possibility
          Only in a world of speculation.
          What might have been and what has been
          Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

a promise to myself

Thank you to everybody for your encouragement. Janka, I had actually drank 16 days in a row, not abstained for that long. Hopefully I will now abstain for at least that long.

The pains I felt a couple of nights ago were very frightening. It didn't help (or maybe it did) that my stomach was making all these groaning and high pitched sounds which made me think that my insides were screaming.

I haven't touched a drop since then and have no intention to from now on.

Comment

a promise to myself

Go for it Medic. Do what you have to do, and nail it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

a promise to myself

Hi Medic,

I too have felt my body shutting down before and even got frostbite on my toes about 3 weeks ago because my blood was so thin from drinking alcohol. Funnily enough I have now been AF for 3 weeks

Sometimes these things happen to finally send that shockwave to our brain that says 'STOP FFS!!!' and they are a blessing in disguise.

Keep that worry at the front of your mind for a while and let it get you through the first few weeks, but then try to abstain because you WANT to, not because of what might happen if you don't.

All the best and look forward to seeing you around MWO.

EW
                If you can't have one drink, don't have any - My Nan

Comment

a promise to myself

If someone does not believe in reality S/he will be disappeared soon like dinosaur..your body is telling reality and giving you the warning as well as chances.....Lets think before it get too late and irreparable as said by Sheri...
                  My support is with you ,I am too committed after two decades intake .Luckly I am still physically not bad but mentally too depressed and lost memory power.You know I had got first position in my whole country in graduate level and celebrated with beer first time ,now lurking with it ..I now cant remember my close friends name,damaged my brain badly ... What a shame !!
                  Please Please Stop it !!:applaud:
                  Please Please Stop it !!!!
                  Please Please Stop it !!!
                  Please Please Stop it !!! !!!
                  Dixon
                  A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

a promise to myself

Hi Medic, I'm sorry I misunderstood. Hope you are feeling better. Hang in there!!!
                    Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

a promise to myself

Hi Medic -- how are you?
                      Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

a promise to myself

Janka,

I'm doing ok, thanks. Still sober. Had the usual thoughts last night but my wiser logic overruled. I think I'm getting to that stage where it's impossible to deny how serious things are.

Please don't apologise for misunderstanding. I've done that enough times in my life (smiles).

Comment

a promise to myself

Medic - glad to hear you have another AF day under your belt, every day does get easier. I too used to suffer from liver pain and am happy to say it stopped pretty soon after I quit. So do so many other little niggles I didn't even put down to the booze like tingling in my hands and arms. Wishing you continued strength.
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

a promise to myself

Thanks CG.

I have noticed I have been very lethargic since stopping - is this normal in anybody's experience?

Comment

a promise to myself

Hi again Medic -- I was very tired after going AF. I think it's our body saying we need to take it easy, slow down, rest and take the time to heal. Are you eating? Food gives us energy. Stay strong and focused on today. xoxoxo janka
                              Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X