The alcoholic personality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an excerpt from an article by David Gersten MD, on healing the brain and body through supplements... food for thought.

Note: This is just an excerpt. His basic message is to address alcoholism naturally. He is not an advocate for medicinal approaches.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In order to move toward an understanding of how to cure alcoholism, let's start by addressing two important issues that are frequently misunderstood:

First, let's talk about the alcoholic personality, the type of makeup that predisposes one to become alcoholic. Understanding this makeup will make it easier for you to know which kind of psychotherapy or support system will best suit you.

Here is the answer. In 1984 a study of 650 young men showed that there was no evidence whatsoever that there is an “alcoholic personality.” So, folks you can throw out the notion that your mother, father, your abuse, neglect, or stress caused your problem with drinking. Alcoholism is not a psychiatric disorder and does not belong in the DSM-IV, the psychiatric bible of diagnosis.

Secondly, you need to understand that support systems, including Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), according to a great deal of research, do not have better than a 5 percent cure rate. Mind you, I refer my alcoholic patients to AA. AA was never intended as a treatment modality. It is support and is profoundly helpful.

But alcoholism is a physical disease. You cannot cure diabetes or cancer through support groups or psychotherapy, nor can you cure alcoholism through such support. I also don't buy into the nearly universal belief that alcoholism is an incurable disease.

The point of this tongue-in-cheek discussion of the “Alcoholic Personality” is to help you finally set aside such a notion. There is not a “Diabetic Personality” or an “Arthritic Personality.” Similarly, alcoholism is a disorder of severely disturbed biochemistry. There is metabolic chaos from head to toe."
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

This is an interesting excerpt, and ties in well with information I have learned through my Neurologist. He is right on with his brain chemistry diagnoses/treatments and strongly believes that alcoholics have severely disturbed biochemistry. He is an avid proponent of Omega 3 and vitamin supplements along with healthy eating and exercise to help regulate brain chemistry. Also, keeping sugar levels well regulated has an important role.
    There's heaps of information here on the boards at MWO to lend credence to this concept as well.
    Good job on raising this subject.
    :h Mish :h
    sigpic
    Never give up...
    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

While I agree somewhat, I also think that it is important to understand our cues that trigger cravings. For me it is anxiety or boredom.

Not everyone who gets anxious or bored drinks, but I know that it is my achilles heel.

Comment

Hi Beatle, and thanks for the interesting article. The more information, and reading I do, the better. Mishmash, I agree with the thoughts about omega, and vitamins (vit D for me), and exercise and healthy diet.

One question that arises for me, is "what was the brain chemistry of the alcoholic like prior to their drinking career". "When does a brain become biochemically messed up from booze" . Is there a pre-existing predisposition, or is it caused by booze, or both, or who knows?

Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

I believe alcoholism(and addiction to any drug) is caused by a mixture of personal disposition towards obsessiveness, mental, physical, biochemical as well as also having a nature-nuture element. That a person can cross over the line into alcoholism by a combination of all these ingredients.

For instance a person with no genetic disposition, loving & perfect upbringing/life could become alcoholic by drinking large amounts, over a long period of time.

On the other end of the spectrum a person brought up in an alcoholic family, with lots of disturbances in their childhood could quite easily cross the line with only a small amount of alcohol, and in a short period of time.

Personally I come from a line of very strong-willed, bordering on the obsessive women, was bullied severely throughout my schooling which only served for me to put more pressure on myself to be perfect, avoiding interaction or potential conflicts with others. Result is I didn't have to have a great deal of alcohol before I had a problem and I believe my biochemistry was altered quite early on in my drinking career. I have therefore kept on with maladjusted behavioural patterns which have to be relearned. Medication and diet can help with the physical side of it which then ties into the mental/emotion issues I have to learn to deal with in the way best for me.

Mental & Physical.

Comment

yes, I agree completely UK, and I think hillside's comment/question is also crucial:

"what was the brain chemistry of the alcoholic like prior to their drinking career". "When does a brain become biochemically messed up from booze"

But the point of this article is that alcoholism, regardless of how the person got the disease, IS a physical fact, and the physical problems have to be healed... and then the other problems can be addressed. It is devastating to make alcoholics think they have developed a disease that can never be cured, and that the only way to deal with it is spiritually and white-knuckling and surrendering, and accepting they will be like this for the rest of their life.

He is saying you can't cure alcoholism through support. His solution is to cure the physical part of alcoholism first (through amino acids and supplements) so that the soul healing can get going afterwards. How we got there in the first place is not really the point of this article, although I agree with what UK and hill said.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Hi
              Very interesting post.

I have done quite a bit of reading and thinking about the various theories about alcohol and whether alcoholism is a disease.

There is definitely a pre-disposition to some people being more at risk from alcohol. The first time I got drunk I was transformed from an ungainly teenager with low self-esteem into a sort of god or superhuman. Shame it could not last, and had unpleasant side effects.

If someone could invent a drug that allowed you all the benefits of being drunk, but you were still functioning perfectly mentally and physically, and there were no physical or mental side-effects, it would be pretty good.

But such a drug does not exist. The reality is that alcohol in excess screws your life up, and for some people it is not possible to moderate, so they are better off with none.

The one thing that I would use to differentiate between the concept of alcoholism as a disease and other types of diseases, is that it is a very strange disease where you have to keep topping it up daily for it to stay active?

Like if I get the flu, I would not keep drinking a bottle of flu germs everyday and then go to the doctor and say doctor its really strange I have a bad case of the flu and it wont go away. He would probably tell me that the cure was to stop drinking the flu germs everyday, and tell me to get out of his office.
              Moderating since 1st December 2010

"There is no such thing as failure, only feedback"

Comment

I never considered alcohol dependence to be a disease and still do not as I only blame myself for my relationship with booze. With that said, I am just finishing a book called Virus of the Mind. It discusses "memes" which are basically thoughts, opinions, and such that actually are spread amongst peoples minds. The author discusses pop stuff like mini-skirts coming in style but also things like violent gang crime and cult activity like David Koresh and Jim Jones and the poisonous cool-aid in Guyana. These thoughts are spread from one individual to another and can have an impact on how they think. If someone grows up in a family of drinkers, like I did, it would reason that I would have a mind virus that presupposes me to drinking. The same as growing up in a religious family the likelihood of taking that religion on as an adult would be greater. With this in mind, I'm starting to see how there may be validity in thinking it may be a disease (or mind virus) of sorts for some people.
                2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Thanks for the post Beatle!

I have to say that since "coming to terms" with the fact that I have a drinking problem, I have gone from thinking it's a mental problem to believing it's a phycial problem. I agree, in the beginning, many of us use AL for "mental compulsive" reasons or something along those lines. Maybe to relieve stress or deal with some other mental issues. However, I really feel that somehow an Alcoholic's brain chemistry is altered in such a way to then cause an addiction to whatever chemicals (seratonin/dopamine) we are altering when we drink. Not everyone who turns to Alcohol for mental reasons becomes an Alcoholic...

Anyway, I will definitely read more about this topic, and thanks for the article! It seems to be right on point with the research I've accumulated about this subject on my own.

Comment

allswell;1034402 wrote: I never considered alcohol dependence to be a disease and still do not as I only blame myself for my relationship with booze. With that said, I am just finishing a book called Virus of the Mind. It discusses "memes" which are basically thoughts, opinions, and such that actually are spread amongst peoples minds. The author discusses pop stuff like mini-skirts coming in style but also things like violent gang crime and cult activity like David Koresh and Jim Jones and the poisonous cool-aid in Guyana. These thoughts are spread from one individual to another and can have an impact on how they think. If someone grows up in a family of drinkers, like I did, it would reason that I would have a mind virus that presupposes me to drinking. The same as growing up in a religious family the likelihood of taking that religion on as an adult would be greater. With this in mind, I'm starting to see how there may be validity in thinking it may be a disease (or mind virus) of sorts for some people.
                    Very interesting insights... I will look into that book.

Just an aside: I think alcohol dependence and alcoholism may be two different things. Perhaps you are not really an alcoholic, which would mean somebody with the alcoholism disease.

However, alcoholism is indeed classified as a disease by many of the most prominent health organizations of the world (including, I believe, the WHO (don't quote me on this, I just remember reading it somewhere)).

BUT: "The American Hospital Association, the American Public Health Association, the National Association of Social Workers, and the American College of Physicians classify "alcoholism" as a disease. In the US, the National Institutes of Health has a specific institute, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), concerned with the support and conduct of biomedical and behavioral research on the causes, consequences, treatment, and prevention of alcoholism and alcohol-related problems. The official NIAAA position is that "alcoholism is a disease. The craving that an alcoholic feels for alcohol can be as strong as the need for food or water."
                    Wikipedia

Physicians News Digest, February 1998
                    Alcoholism should not be judged as a problem of willpower, misconduct, or any other unscientific diagnosis. The problem must be accepted for what it is?a biopsychosocial disease with a strong genetic influence, obvious signs and symptoms, a natural progression and a fatal outcome if not treated.

Thomas R. Hobbs, Ph.D., M.D., is medical director of the Physicians? Health Programs (PHP).

Comment

Working...
                    X