Alcohol and reconnecting to the soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also from Dr. Gertsen (ok, I'll take a break now... I must be tiring you all out):

"Many alcoholics drink in order to quiet their mind, and when their mind is quiet, they may have experiences of Self and God. This is not a popular thing to say, but it is what many alcoholics report. It is not a false God they are finding in a bottle. Rather, they are able to experience God and even have genuine mystical experiences while drunk ?because? their mind has been set aside and the soul is allowed to emerge. The goal of recovery is obviously to help the alcoholic have an experience of his Source and God without the aid of alcohol, experiencing the joy and bliss without the destruction of life that alcohol causes. The alcoholic needs to learn that what he has found in a bottle is something that has always resided deep within, and that by re-connecting to his soul, he will become whole and will require no external drug or stimuli to feel connected."
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Thanks Beatle
    This is a subject I have never seen discussed before and which I can really relate to. I was living a very spiritual life prior to quitting the booze and had many experiences of connecting to God or my source both when sober and intoxicated. I actually felt that drinking was blocking me from an even closer relationship to spirit and in many ways this hasn't proved to be the case. As in your article I'm having to relearn how to make that connection in other ways.

(Love all the articles you have posted and intend to read them in more detail later when I have more time) thankyou.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

beatle;1033908 wrote: Also from Dr. Gertsen (ok, I'll take a break now... I must be tiring you all out):

"Many alcoholics drink in order to quiet their mind, and when their mind is quiet, they may have experiences of Self and God. This is not a popular thing to say, but it is what many alcoholics report. It is not a false God they are finding in a bottle. Rather, they are able to experience God and even have genuine mystical experiences while drunk ?because? their mind has been set aside and the soul is allowed to emerge. The goal of recovery is obviously to help the alcoholic have an experience of his Source and God without the aid of alcohol, experiencing the joy and bliss without the destruction of life that alcohol causes. The alcoholic needs to learn that what he has found in a bottle is something that has always resided deep within, and that by re-connecting to his soul, he will become whole and will require no external drug or stimuli to feel connected."
      Thank's Beatle. I have found this to be true.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Beatle, good post. I haven't read it, but I have seen a book called The Tao of Sobriety recommended many times which I believe is on the same subject -- that alcoholism is in many ways connected to the lack of a spiritual connection.

KG

Comment

Working...
        X