MIDDLE AGED FEMALE WINO NOT DRINKING THIS MONTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started a similar thread a few months ago and some other wine drinking ladies joined me which made it more encouraging. The plan for me is to stop for the whole month of January and then allow myself a glass of wine per day with dinner like the French. Hopefully I'll be the next French Paradox. If I skip a day I will not allow for more the next day. Weekends are not to be treated any different. One glass. Period.

I really want to stop the insanity of drinking close to a bottle daily and more on weekends. I have read up on some liver detox food and plan on eating more of those along with lemons, dandelion tea, etc. I am 53 and close to menopause (I think as it's about bloody time it happened) and just became a grandmother for the first time.

We keep a large stash of homeade wine in the house which will be my hurdle. Hubby drinks (not as into it as I am though) so that's another hurdle. We socialize with friends and family EVERY weekend but hey, I am on a DETOX... not drinking. Any one want to join me. I figure if I ask very little of myself I am more likely to succeed. Baby steps.

By the way if I drink more than my one glass of wine per day, it's another month of abstinence until I get it right.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

I am a wino and have been sober for two months now. I would love to be able to drink one glass, but I have not had enugh sober time under my belt to even think about it. One glass turns into a bottle pretty quickly for me, so moderation is out for now....probably forever. I actually like not drinking now. Good luck to you - I wish I had it in me to do the French thing, but I am a 4th Generation Southern California Irish Catholic (now) Philly Girl so it's not in my genes to moderate! lol

Take good care.
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

It may not be in mine either. Only time will tell. I will be ruthless with myself if I drink more than one 6 ounce glass per night. I keep imagining the thrill of succeeding in not only abstaining for a month but becoming like my elegant sister-in-law who demurely sips a glass of wine for hours... I check and it's the same damn wine; no refills. If I can't do it I will start again with the month of abstinence. My secret goal is to actually stop permanently but, like many on this forum, that's too scary to contemplate at this point. ODAT..
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipp, I went AF for 2.5 mos. and am now limiting myself to 1/2 bottle of wine one time per week. No drinking on other nights and possibly not on the one night - just depends on if we do something social -- dinner out or going out with friends. I have a similar bargain with myself. If I slip back to my old ways, I will permanently go AF. I have been successful for the last month -- have not had the pull or felt conflicted in any way. I'm hoping it sticks, if not I go back to AF.

Good luck!

KG

Comment

I'd be chuffed if I could manage that, but i know it just wont work for me. i have the good old alkie brain that lies and encourages me to drink more....."ah go on, you deserve one more"

I am trying my hardest to stay AF, then I cant get into trouble or even have to worry about not having that second drink. There is no off switch, just even giving drinking air space is enough to encourage and plan a binge. I say plan, as the vodka or wine doesn't 'magic' its self into the fridge!

I'd rather not have the daily fight of the one glass, or the longing for the second. So on that note......back to, one day at a time

I have just read the swimming pool analogy, wow did that hit a note! I have just taken my feet off the bottom of the pool and I am about to strike out, AF 42 days and counting. :new:
          I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Welcome Autumn! Good for you on 42 days! I hear ya on the fight. I have enough to worry about in my life - I don't need a wine struggle to add to it!
            February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I'm in!

Ladies,

I am 42 and just went off the pill after 5 years b/c it was wreaking havoc on my system. Well, my Dr. aid that going off the pill after 5 years has the same hormonal change as the first trimester of pregnancy. UGH!!!! I should have done it in the summer b/c I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Needless to say I felt sorry for myself and have had 2 bad binges since end of Nov. I had been really together before that!

White wine has always been my drug of choice (do not even like red) I have been AF since Jan 1! So, here we go! I LOVE the idea of the French Paradox
              Tiny

Comment

Thanks Wagoneer. It is daunting first speaking up and being the newbie! The main thing I really hated about the drinking was the daily fight to stay sober, boy its draining and damn hard work.

I am just utterly incapable of having just the one. i could quote 1001 sayings about how 1 is never enough, its the first one that gets you drunk, etc etc. But it is true, for me any way.

I have wasted way too much time trying to fatham out how on earth some people could just stop after 2 or 3 drinks!! Barking! I have finally accepted, that wont happen in a month of sundays and I am trying to focus instead on Sobriety.

Any handy hints appreciated
                I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback. Good for all of you for doing this too. I hear you about not being able to stick with one and that may very well be the outcome of all this. I have never gone more than three or four days AF before and today is day 4. For some reason, this time I am not feeling any cravings. I may not jump right in at the end of the month. Life is pretty good without it although it hadn't caused much problem in my life. I was just at the point where I had fallen at a hallowe'en party going down the stairs in my baggy pumpkin costume. Even though it could happen to anyone, I knew it would not have happened if I hadn't been drinking. My eyes were opened especially since my arm (that I landed on) hurt for more than a week. I was about to begin the downward spiral to embarrassing moments and you know what I mean.

My short term goal is a month. We'll see after that. Thanks for the reminder that life sucks when all you think about is limiting yourself. I want to get my drinking problem behind me, not to wallow in it.
                  Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Tipp,

I fell down steps last May & fractured my neck (c2) a very serious injury! I am very lucky. I did not drink AT ALL during the 12 week recovery time, I also got down to 124 pounds (I am now 135) A friend came to visit and we had wine with lunch ... it slowly crept back in -- my non-drinking husband was upset, confused, perplexed and I don't blame him! I could have ended up in a wheelchair! So, now I am moving forward having learned that wine does not agree with me.

I love your 50 tips and purchased Apple Cider Vinegar today.
                    Tiny

Comment

THanks alot Tiny. I hear you and am glad that you seem to be on the mend. Both physically and alcoholically. It's frightening to take a tumble, eh.. the best thing for me is that the pain lasted a few weeks. What a good reminder about the outcome of overdrinking.

I had to regroup my 52 week plan this morning as I had taken a break for the two weeks of Christmas and New Years. The routine went down the drain but I am back at it this week.

Just the fact that I need to be on this forum constantly in order to stick with my AF plan tells me I have a problem. Take care.
                      Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I'm a wino ...bit of a beer hound, too! Never turned down a Margarita either ....can I join?

Comment

Hi Tip, and welcome!

I wish you success with your goal. You're off to a good start with the 30 Days AF. I don't feel like I could stop at one glass right now, so until I would ever feel that way (which I doubt I ever will!) I will not drink wine. I'm sure everyone here is at different stages in their journey, so you may be able to do this! Good luck and keep posting!

Comment

EVERYONE can join. We are in this together. Why aren't I going crazy not drinking? Hubby told me some good news last night. He said that he is stopping too just to support me. He drinks as much as I do but it's always my idea and he outweighs me by 30 pounds. Secretly I think he has a little problem too so with his pride intact I thanked him for his support and this will certainly help me as we are together 24/7. We work together and live by the river in a cottage all alone (we do get visitors) so he could easily influence me. All our wine time is fun time with no exceptions. I just know that my 130 lb body cannot live a long life at the rate we are (were) drinking.

To you all you have tried moderation and not been successful, point taken. I probably am the same. I have to try.
                            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tip, it's great that your husband is quitting too! My partner isn't drinking in order to support me. It's incredibly helpful. Here's to an AF January!

Comment

Working...
                              X