X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought I would say this...

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for. Thanks BB x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

I went to AA and NA meetings when I was in rehab in big city with lots of different meetings and for the most part was okay with it, but did have an issue with the whole "higher power" thing. But when I came home to my small town (and I work in the local rural hospital) there are just a handful of meetings and although it's "anonymous" I knew several of the people there and was just too embarassed to go back. I like this forum so much better. I feel lime I can say anything without the embarassment I felt.

Comment

[QUOTE=Seethepony;1034961 I managed to get 95% Af within a few weeks with baclofen, which I believe is a real cure for alcoholism, not some bullshit foisted on us desperate alkies by a cynical pharma industry.
        This is an easy way to save your own life... I am constantly amazed by the number of people on this forum who live a contant battle with booze but who ignore baclofen for some mysterious reason.

You can give up alcohol very easily without some tedious belief system, without needing support of others just as fucked up and desperate as you. There's a cure right in front of you. Pick it up!
        I'm with you, Pony. Baclofen really is a 'cure' for alcoholism. I've been taking it for a few months now and have complete disinterest in AL. I wish everyone here struggling with cravings and battling ODAT could give this miracle drug a go. It really takes the struggle and effort out of getting and staying sober. I never thought anything could make sobriety so easy.
        :h Mish :h
        sigpic
        Never give up...
        GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
        Remaining a perpetual possibility
        Only in a world of speculation.
        What might have been and what has been
        Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

can anyone go in chat with me pls?

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Will do Kim. Give me a few minutes.

med+c

Comment

Sorry Kim. Having technical issues getting into chat. I hate my laptop. PM is that is any good? I'll be around for another 30 minutes.

Comment

I fought it

Went to meetings for 2 different periods of time....and got sober both. But, I was still fighting it. And you will hear people in the rooms say the same thing. I went back out both times, thanks to my fighting it.

Now I am back in and not fighting it. So much easier this time.

I had to get myself out of the way. My ego or whatever I thought it was. All you need is a desire to quit....not actually quit. Then miracles start to happen. I can feel myself getting edgy and I run to a meeting now. Sometimes I walk in with the full out thinking of..."I am here, but damn it I am going to have a drink afterwards"...and never do.

Get a temporary sponsor when they ask. This person will help you and get you to the right person, people and meetings.

Plan on not liking everything you hear. But if you can pull one thing out of the meeting that may keep you sober that day....worth it.

Once I gave up on all the statistics and realized....what other support group in the world has lasted so long. If its still here...it must work to some degree. Plus, if you go to rehab....you end up at AA in the end. Regardlesss, it is nice to be in a room of people who have done the same or worse than you and came out the other side....that means there is hope for us afterall. And there is another way to live. And it is calm and loving.

And what other place in the world do they help you so much and forgive you.....that they are willing to call a drunk and take them to their first meeting? And hold your hand when needed?

Good Luck!

Comment

AA isn't about will power because we all know will power doesn't work with this disease. I understand the AA principles and do believe in them, they are a set of very useful guidelines by which most people should aim to live their lives.

I'm hoping to use those guidelines once I get long-term sober again.

Comment

Kimberly We have enough of a struggle with alcohol without struggling with whose recovery group is best or worst. I have said it before - If it works for you great, hold onto it, if it doesn't then try another approach. Think of the recovery scene as a restaurant with a large menu - choose what suits and respect other people's choice. Goodluck.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi,

Mario, I feel like I have absolutely tried everything else over the past few years and nothing has been a long-term solution. I did end up going to a meeting on Wednesday and now I am sold. It was terrifying but I am beginning to understand how and why it works. I am willing to totally commit to this because it feels right in a way that nothing else seems to have.

I agree that everyone should find their own way and I hope that I have finally found mine. I BELIEVE it too - there's just something about this feeling I have that is right. My experiences are over on the AA weekly threads if anyone is interested in finding out how I'm getting on.

In any case, good luck to everyone finding their way out.
                      K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kim,

Alcohol and any other drug such as cigarettes and heroin are strange beasts, they will retaliate if threatened, just like you or me if our existence was threatened we too would find ways to escape and live while tricking our "enemy".
                        Good thing is all substance addiction is in your head so you have control over it, its up to you exactly how much control to give it.
                        You will, you wouldn't be here if you weren't fighting it, so good girl - keep it up!

Comment

K,

I was vehemently opposed also to AA and I go sometimes now. I found one mtg I like that is all women and I did not feel like they were trying to brainwash me. The reason I went and go somtimes now (as you can tell I have not fully embraced 90 mtg in 90 days or a sponsor, etc) is that people I respect kept telling me that my way was not working and I needed support. That nothing changes unless something changes. You can also call the local AA office and ask for someone to pick you up for a mtg if you need some extra support or push. I have decided the organization is full of good people and they want the best for ea of us. I hope you find what you need there.

Peace.

EDIT: There seems to be some controversy about this topic in AA but I want to mention it. Don't be afraid of asking your doc for Antabuse. I know it is an old drug but it is tried and true and works. I still love wine but like you ended up in the hospital and was scared. I had to stop drinking. My mind still wants wine @ times, and bottles of it, but I know how violently sick I will be if I even taste it with AB in my system (and 1 pill stays in your system 2 wks!!) so am able to get AF days under my belt. I know you can too.

Comment

Kimberly - honestly on some level I am considering AA as well. Just the fact that people know I am there because I have a 'problem' is kind of re-assuring to me. Not that I am drinking anymore but I still feel very much affected by the person I was when I was drinking. If I am there I don't have to be fake. I can be me. To interact with people - normal people on a day to day basis I may as well just be in some sort of play. It's acting, it's not real. I will at least be able to speak to other human beings not just behind a keyboard and vent, listen to what they have to say, maybe even become friends with some people who understand and can relate to where I have been. I have been to AA meetings before, walked out and drank after. In fact I have been to AA meetings tipsy and even walked up and got the 24 hour badge. How shame full is that. You are right about the letting go of the past thing. I know that but its so fucking hard. It really is. I don't believe the 12 step thing to be honest but who cares - it's the people, the company, the stories and the fact that I can be myself that I think will help. Pleaes PM me any time.
                            "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for your further thoughts and support.

Lucky, it is funny - almost everyone I have spoken to at AA was completely against it as well!! Tried everything else to avoid going to it. I feel very ignorant knowing what I know about it now! It obviously works for many people - IF you do it properly. I agree, the meetings are full of lovely people who want you to be better almost as much as they want it for themselves.

Aust, see your PM.
                              K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X