Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pls help - I'm about to reach for a drink after so long Alcohol Free!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been getting my life together.

I met this guy I thought was really nice, respectful, intelligent and...hot...a couple of days ago. We went out for dinner and had a nice time. He then drove me home and parked his car, got out his phone and asked me if he could have my number.

The friend we met through told me she feels me and this guy are really well suited and that he is dating around right now but nothing serious and that she was really excited we'd hit it off.

I texted him quite casually asking him if he'd like to get a coffee sometime. His reply caught me by surprise and has really dented my self-confidence, making me want to reach for a stiff drink to hide from my feelings. It's made me feel that I must be really unattractive.

This is what his reply said:

"Regards a coffee - yes I can, but just in case I should mention I'm not dating at the moment - maybe that's not what you had in mind (in which case I feel silly) but just thought it best to mention.":blush::upset:

I really don't want to break my no alcohol thing as I've been doing so well. But I just feel so down about this right now - kinda really humiliated.
    Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Two things to say;

It's not worth it

and

This is why I avoided/try to avoid getting involved with anyone. When initially AF you need to make sure you minimise any emotional dangers that could lead to drinking.

Comment

Please don't do it, you're letting other people's actions dictate your own. Let it slide and stay sober. Do it for you and keep what you have worked hard for.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

BTC - I think its great that he was honest with you and so why not go have coffee with him and make a new friend?

You have over 2 months sober and it would be insane to cave in over this. Unfortunately we have to learn to deal with lifes ups and downs when sober and I know its tough when we are used to reaching for the bottle to block it out but all of this makes us stronger more capable beings. We cant go running to AL everytime there's a glitch, life has too many of them. What you will find if you face this, is that you will feel so proud of yourself for doing so.

In a few days/weeks you will look back and think "God, imagine nearly breaking my sobriety over something like that!". It not worth it I promise you. :l
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Chillgirl;1035944 wrote: BTC - I think its great that he was honest with you and so why not go have coffee with him and make a new friend?

You have over 2 months sober and it would be insane to cave in over this. Unfortunately we have to learn to deal with lifes ups and downs when sober and I know its tough when we are used to reaching for the bottle to block it out but all of this makes us stronger more capable beings. We cant go running to AL everytime there's a glitch, life has too many of them. What you will find if you face this, is that you will feel so proud of yourself for doing so.

In a few days/weeks you will look back and think "God, imagine nearly breaking my sobriety over something like that!". It not worth it I promise you. :l
          What you are saying makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I'm fixating on the "true" meaning of his text, which is: "you are ugly and worthless and I'd never consider dating you. In fact I'm shocked you have the audacity to think ANYONE would want you."

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

Not dating at the moment means.... well... not dating at the moment. Do not apply your imagination to it. Just take it as it is. He will have coffee! He's clarified the situation in advance. Great! Go have coffee and enjoy it!
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I've said that many a time to men who I wanted to get to know first. If I couldn't be around them as a friend there was no way I could go any further. It's definetely nothing worth breaking your AF time over. Things are just a little sensitive for you right now and your vulnerable. Just step back a bit and take a look at it for what it really is. This will be a good chance to get to know him as well from your perspective..either way, atleast you may make a very good friend from all this. And friends are good.

All the best to you, and congrats on the two months AF!

Comment

Hi BC,

I know it's tough to have taken the initiative and not get the response you were hoping for, but there's nothing to feel humiliated about. He enjoyed meeting you or he wouldn't have wanted to have coffee. Everyone experiences these ups and downs in the dating years, and although nobody like it, nothing tried, nothing gained. I've been shoved out of a moving car by a guy who thought he saw his ex-wife in a parking lot; believe me, your guy was a prince in comparison! ; )

Cowboy up, girl. One thing's for sure; the chances for a successful mutual relationship are A LOT higher sober (bar sex is not "a relationship"). The guys who love that in you are the ones you want to meet. : )
                AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

These things can cause one to have an emotional spike, but in the big picture of things, are not worth throwing away all that you've accomplished. Nobody is worth that. And you are worth so much more than a bottle of booze, a nasty hangover,a bad conscience and the inevitable feelings of disappointment in yourself.
                  Put yourself first in your life, build your self-esteem, get really happy in your own skin and you'll attract the right sort of guy. At least this fellow was upfront about not wanting to date you. I've known a few who get what they want and then dump me, which is even more humiliating and soul-destroying.
                  Drinking now will not help matters at all. Surviving life's ups and down intact is a part of building character and shows maturity. You know you can do this.
                  :h Mish :h
                  sigpic
                  Never give up...
                  GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                  Remaining a perpetual possibility
                  Only in a world of speculation.
                  What might have been and what has been
                  Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Hi BC,

the guy sounds like an idiot. If he was not dating why did he hook up with you in the first place? Do not compromise yourself over this tube!

You can find much better than this guy, trust me.

Sending soothing hugs,

med+c

Comment

BTC,
                      I have been there when it comes to feeling rejected. When I was dating a while back, the men I wanted didnt want me and vice versa. It was very frustrating...especially when I thought that the date went really well. I dealed with my rejection by drowning my sorrows in wine. I felt something was wrong with me and that i was to live the rest of my life as a lonely old woman. But it's NOT worth it.

Just let it pass without drinking on it. You will really regret it if you do. One day you will find the right man who will think you are the most beautiful woman in the world. You wait and see. x
                      Be strong-
                      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

And I agree with medic. Why did he ask for your number if he had no intention of dating you?
                        Be strong-
                        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

What a tool. Please, please do not waste your sobriety on this knucklehead.
                          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Wagoneer;1035997 wrote: What a tool. Please, please do not waste your sobriety on this knucklehead.
                            What makes you feel he is a tool?

Comment

This is wagoneer's question to answer but I feel somewhat responsible to answer it since I called this guy a "tube" first, which is the same thing as a "tool" in the U.S.

BC, you said this: I met this guy I thought was really nice, respectful, intelligent and...hot...a couple of days ago. We went out for dinner and had a nice time. He then drove me home and parked his car, got out his phone and asked me if he could have my number.

You had dinner and he asked for your number. If he wasn't in to you he shouldn't have led you on by asking for your number. Even if he was just being nice, he failed to communicate on the level with you and left it too ambiguous. This is what has dented your self-esteem.

Best wishes,

med+c

Comment

Working...
                              X