Only a small thing but I feel so proud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to go away with work this week. Normally I would either bring a bottle with me or wonder if there was a shop near the hotel where I could buy a bottle of wine. When I left yesterday morning the first thing I thought was I must bring extra teabags as there is only ever two in the room ? I didn?t realise the significance of this until I got into my car and realised that wine hadn?t entered my head.

Now when I sat and had dinner the thought of ordering a glass of wine did cross my mind but only briefly.

I know its only a small thing but it?s honestly the first time in about 15 years where my first though wasn?t what do I do about AL when I get there.
    AF since 23/11/2010

Mrs B ~ that's not a small thing. That is HUGE. Well done you.:l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

letting go

MrsB;1036306 wrote: I had to go away with work this week. Normally I would either bring a bottle with me or wonder if there was a shop near the hotel where I could buy a bottle of wine. When I left yesterday morning the first thing I thought was I must bring extra teabags as there is only ever two in the room ? I didn?t realise the significance of this until I got into my car and realised that wine hadn?t entered my head.

Now when I sat and had dinner the thought of ordering a glass of wine did cross my mind but only briefly.

I know its only a small thing but it?s honestly the first time in about 15 years where my first though wasn?t what do I do about AL when I get there.
      :goodjob:do i have to say anything else:thanks: gyco

Comment

MrsB,

Ridding the beast is all about changing our behaviour. When you no longer think of alcohol as a necessity, like Jackie said, it's HUGE. Well done!
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

That is huge. BRAVO!!!
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Excellent!
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I'm with Jackie ...that's not a small thing at all! Good for you! :l

Comment

Mrs. B -- That's great! I have to go on out of town trips for work, too and it's really different to think about the tea in the room instead of how to get more wine! Good job!!

Comment

That is transformational!!
                  While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mrs. B....I agree, this is not a small thing, this is HUGE! Speaking as another women who travels for business...I understand the temptation to drink when on the road. This is where my problems with alcohol began.....on the road....ugghh!

These days, I have a "Travel Kit"....two small family photos,travel candle, selection of tea bags, my journal and book of meditations. This kit helps me to feel centered!

Getting to the point when we are no longer "Resisting Alcohol" but, truly "Living Sober", is a huge turning point in our recovery!

You are doing so well!!
                    Kate
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

That's great, you should be really proud of yourself. I know I feel a twinge of triumpth on the days I drive by the liquor store without even realizing it.
                      Alcohol Free since 11/29/10!

Comment

Mrs. B! You ROCK! That is no small thing - that is HUGELY GINORMOUS! Good for you. What an awesome story. You are doing great!

Chartreuse - I know what you mean about the drive by. Just yesterday driving down 95 I passed my "Wine Exit" and actually laughed a little. The relief I felt driving by and not getting off that exit was palpable!
                        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Its fantastic when we notice the changes in our thinking, the brain washing gradually vanishes and we get our rational mind back! I used to have a huge problem over having dinner out without AL, it seemed like the most bizzare alien thing to do! Now instead of sitting there agitated about how fast they will bring the wine, i relax and enjoy the menu and relish my food without a single thought about booze.....bliss
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

yep i agree its a huge thing. i think its actually the things that to others may appear small that are the building blocks to sobriety
                            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

What an inspiring post. It does my heart good to read of experiences like yours, and, like the others, think it's a huge step.
                              When we can change our thinking ,we take back control of our lives and I congratulate you for getting to this point.
                              :h Mish :h
                              sigpic
                              Never give up...
                              GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                              Remaining a perpetual possibility
                              Only in a world of speculation.
                              What might have been and what has been
                              Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
                              X