scared sober?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scared sober?

My friend's daughter is 24 and she had a really scary incident happen to her over the New Year. After a night of partying on New Year's eve, she called my friend and told her that her car was stolen from the south part of the city. Since the car is registered in my friend's name, she reported it stolen and went through the process of getting a new registration, etc. On Monday, my friend got a call from a man in the north part of the city and told her he found the daughter outside of his house, very drunk, drinking a beer next to her car. This man wound up driving the daughter home (to her apartment) and the car was left at his house. He gave the daughter a note with his number so that she would know where to pick it up. Since she never picked it up, the man found the registration and called my friend with the story.

The daughter has no memory of how she got there... did she drive? did someone drive her car there and leave her there? It's lucky she didn't kill herself or anyone else and that this good samaritan was so nice and not a psycho.

Anyway, I hadn't had a drink all day and was contemplating having just one while talking to my husband. This was right before bedtime. Then I thought of the story and told him about it. My husband (a doctor) was incredibly upset and said that she needs to immediately go into rehab and how she probably needs to go to the hospital to detox... he was very serious. Just telling the story and listening to my husband, immediately put the thought of drinking out of my head, So I was fine and went.

There have been several times that a really scary health or drunk driving story has stopped me cold for an evening. The question is.... how do I use that fright and remind myself of it for the next time I'm in the grips of a craving??? It's like driving by a car wreck.... you get scared into driving really carefully for a little while and then you start to forget and you start driving carelessly again.

scared sober?

Hearing other people's stories at a 12 step meeting or coming here and reading the threads is a good way to keep the reminder in front of you, at least that is working for me. Without that reminder, I'm as good as gone, because my brain will try to trick me. I need that constant reminder, so that I don't "start driving carelessly again," to use your metaphor.

Comment

scared sober?

I don't think reminders like that (of any others) really do it in the long run. At some point, you have to internalize the desire to be sober. When does that happen? I guess it's an individual thing.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

scared sober?

Thank you for sharing that, got my attention and keeping my desire to free of the drink today.
        FT
        AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
        As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

scared sober?

Thanks Looking.

That story could have happened to me at one point in my life. I think the cravings will subside eventually as long as they are not rewarded they have to die eventually, right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway. In the meantime it's just ODAT.

Comment

scared sober?

Wow, it sounds like your daughter had a really close call. Something horrible could easily have happened to her. I think keeping that fresh in your mind could really help temper your desire to drink.

Some supplements might also help with your cravings.

I had really bad cravings for alcohol up till recently. Back in November I started taking both L-Glutmine and Kudzu 3 times a day. Within a short time I went from daily drinking to only drinking every few days and was finally able to stop entirely.
            Alcohol Free since 11/29/10!

Comment

scared sober?

I have to agree with Greenie, we can't rely on these stories to keep us sober. It has to come from a desire inside us to change our own lives. Sadly like the car wreck, seeing one isn't enough, it often has to happen to us before we get the message.
              I hope you can find enough reasons why not drinking will improve your life.
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

scared sober?

Hi Chartreuse, It was actually my friend's daughter, not mine. I'd be beside myself if it was my child (not that it couldn't be some day).

Comment

scared sober?

Sorry, I have a splitting headache today and am not quite focusing (though I did think you seemed awfully calm, cool and collected for someone who's daughter had had such a near miss).
                  Alcohol Free since 11/29/10!

Comment

scared sober?

Thank goodness for the good samaritan who helped your daughter's friend. As scary as that story was, it could have ended up much worse for her.
                    Hopefully, her experience will have the desired impact on her and she'll either get help or stop drinking anyway. I know a few people who have responded to a bad experience by never drinking again.
                    I pray your daughter learns from her friend's frightening episode and never finds herself in a similar situation.
                    :h Mish :h
                    sigpic
                    Never give up...
                    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                    Remaining a perpetual possibility
                    Only in a world of speculation.
                    What might have been and what has been
                    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

scared sober?

I am glad all turned out ok, for now for the girl. And I can atest to the fact that there are MANY, MANY good samaritans. God bless them all.

Comment

scared sober?

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...g.html&h=86d63

Black outs are very common. I am so ashamed of the times I got up in the morning and checked to see if my car was in the garage. Scary stuff.

This blog and the Science Inside Alcohol site are very interesting. I'm pretty sure too much alcohol causes brain damage. Maybe that is something to consider before taking a drink.
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

scared sober?

Blackouts.....driving home......
                          I'm ashamed to admit to that too LVT. Those days are long gone, thank goodness.

looking for peace - success comes when you change your thinking about AL. Think of it as the poison it is & not your friend. I used the CDs specifically for that purpose - they work
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

scared sober?

I always wished thst one of my drunken actions which scared the hell out of me would scare me sober but no. I had to decide from the bottom of my heart that i had to do this and the reasons why.

I'm glad she's safe tho.

Comment

scared sober?

Lavande, You mentioned that you specifically turned to the cd's to look at alcohol as poison. Where those the cds on this website? Which ones specifically? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X