Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a phobia actually make an alcoholic drink more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not quite sure if anyone is going to take this seriously, but one of my friends who admits he is an alcoholic tells me he has to get drunk whenever there is a storm with lightning in it. I thought he was having me on to begin with, but it appears that he actually has a fear or phobia of lightning. He has to check an online weather radar site regularly to see if there is any chance of thunderstorms, and he gets annoyed that thunderstorms can't be predicted sometimes. With the drinking, he says he will be "wiped out" for several days if he has to start drinking due to lightning, but otherwise he does not normally get drunk for this long.

I'm not trying to make fun of this guy, or anyone who is nervous about storms, but I am wondering if this is partly or totally another excuse to get drunk? If it really is such a big problem for him then I'd be happy to look up available treatments for phobias. I suppose I am just asking if anyone has an opinion on this.

I'm certainly no expert, but this does sound like a symptom of a form of Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder (OCD). The infatuation with storms and lightning to a point that he feels frustration at not being warned of them oncoming. The need to control (by drinking) his reaction to a storm. Interesting affliction.

I like to think the best of people and prefer to think he does have a legitimate issue, not just another excuse to booze-up. I'd definitely suggest he seek out some help for the issue or offer to find a few articles online for him to have a read thorugh maybe?
    I was made with a heart of stone
    To be broken
    With one hard blow
    I've seen the ocean
    Break on the shore
    Come together with no harm done...
    Jane's Addiction ~ Ocean Size

Comment

I guess I'd have to ask why he get's annoyed when there is no thunderstorm predicted on the weather radar? Was he planning on a bender and Mother Nature wasn't cooperating? He gets so drunk because of a lightning storm he can't function for days? A little strange to me but I don't know.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Well i'm not afraid of storms BUT i always used to have to drink before talking to a certain someone. It sounds awful but i couldn't face it sober, i'd throw up and freak out if i saw his number come up on my phone if i was sober. It calms your nurves. Although i never drunk as much as he did. I'd drink before any type of connection with him. He was a horrible abusive man and even is with me now should he be angry.
        I hate to completely change all my numbers and even move before i could even attempt to stop drinking. He was an ex.
        sad but true.

Comment

There are lots of people here who drink to deal with their anxiety, so this is just another version of that story. I can't prove that it is real, but it is possible.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Greg, your friends case sounds a little extreme, but a lot of people drink to deal with phobias. The biggest example that comes to my mind is the airport bars that are always chock full! Lots of people with nerves about flying!

Comment

Thanks folks for replying so quickly.

I should have added that I am an alcoholic myself, although sober for about 12 months now. Anxiety was my initial reason/excuse for getting drunk...social anxiety, which led on to loneliness and depression. That would sound strange to many people, especially those who are not alcoholics. My mother has a fear of flying and she goes to airport bars a lot so I can relate to that one too.

I think my friend is legitimate in his fear of lightning but may use it as an excuse aswell, since thunderstorms never last for days in our area and he would not have to get drunk for days in a row if it was just because of lightning. He says he cannot go outside and do any of the things (non drinking) he wants if there are clouds around since he can't be sure that a storm will not break out, although I'm pretty sure he would drive to a bottle shop regardless of weather if he ran out of alcohol!! He has been into violent computer games for a number of years and he boasts about not being "scared" of the on-screen violence, and I am wondering if these games somehow have any connection with storms (edit:just realised that maybe it's all the gun noise and flashes in these video games that trips off this guy's fears...no offence to anyone but I have never been a fan of violent games).

Psychological and psychiatric help is very sparse in our area, with just untrained self-named counsellors being available at our local mental health service. Hopefully my mate will be able to find someone qualified to help with phobias, although I have just read that one of the main treatments actually involves exposing the person to thunderstorms, which may make treatment difficult or impossible. Maybe medication treatment for phobias may also exist.

Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

RESEARCH

Greg;1037709 wrote: I'm not quite sure if anyone is going to take this seriously, but one of my friends who admits he is an alcoholic tells me he has to get drunk whenever there is a storm with lightning in it. I thought he was having me on to begin with, but it appears that he actually has a fear or phobia of lightning. He has to check an online weather radar site regularly to see if there is any chance of thunderstorms, and he gets annoyed that thunderstorms can't be predicted sometimes. With the drinking, he says he will be "wiped out" for several days if he has to start drinking due to lightning, but otherwise he does not normally get drunk for this long.

I'm not trying to make fun of this guy, or anyone who is nervous about storms, but I am wondering if this is partly or totally another excuse to get drunk? If it really is such a big problem for him then I'd be happy to look up available treatments for phobias. I suppose I am just asking if anyone has an opinion on this.
                :upset:hi greg there are phobias for almost anything,like many other reasons to drink a storm would make a good xcuse,i had many xcuses for a drink, but in the end it is only a xcuse,:thanks:it is also nice that your concerned for your friend gyco:goodjob:

Comment

Gyco;1038097 wrote: hi greg there are phobias for almost anything,like many other reasons to drink a storm would make a good xcuse,i had many xcuses for a drink, but in the end it is only a xcuse,:thanks:it is also nice that your concerned for your friend gyco
                  Yes, I now believe that this is an excuse to drink and get drunk, even though it also seems to be a real phobia. My friend needs help for both issues by the look of it.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X