I feel like I chickened out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on day 8 of being AF and I belong to one of largest fraternal organizations in the world. Today we had our winter meeting and the first part went by so fast and we were given a 4 hour break.....4 hours to socialize. Socialize with free booze....I lasted 15 minutes and I was thinking of having a drink. I couldn't take it, so I made up a lie that I felt like I was getting a migraine and left. Now, I know I did the right thing by leaving and not drinking but it feels like I'm running away from my problem and not facing it.
    AF since 1/1/2011

Fire burns--should you jump in one? Maybe that's poor analogy. It just jumped into my head. I think you were brilliant!:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

I'm on day 8 too. New Years was a fire for me.:upset:

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

I think you did the right thing. We have the same sobriety date - at this early stage, there's no way I'd stay in that situation. It's way too much, too soon. Cut yourself some slack. :l

Comment

I think that was an excellent decision Magnum.
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

magnum;1037982 wrote: I'm on day 8 of being AF and I belong to one of largest fraternal organizations in the world. Today we had our winter meeting and the first part went by so fast and we were given a 4 hour break.....4 hours to socialize. Socialize with free booze....I lasted 15 minutes and I was thinking of having a drink. I couldn't take it, so I made up a lie that I felt like I was getting a migraine and left. Now, I know I did the right thing by leaving and not drinking but it feels like I'm running away from my problem and not facing it.
            Give yourself a break magnum, you did the right thing. You can't achieve everything all at once and you put your sobriety first which is absolutely what should be your priority. Well done to you!

Comment

Hi Magnum, in my book you did the strong thing. Chickening out would have been having a drink. I say kudos to you for being so strong to leave!! :goodjob:

Comment

Indeed Magnum, you ran and didn't face it.

Is there any harm in that?

Bzz.

Comment

Good job! I will be facing a similar situation tonight. I am going to arrive late and leave early!! What you did was definitely not chickening out. I agree that chickening out would be having that drink. Way to go!!! You inspire me. ODAT

Comment

Congratulations! Wise choice.
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SMART decision to leave Magnum. When I read "I lasted 15 minutes..." I thought for sure you had caved in, but no, you got yourself out of a hard situation without making a big fuss of it and didn't give into your cravings. Sobriety and self respect still intact. Way to go!

No way that's chickening out!

Comment

Right choice , you walked away that takes balls to do you should feel happy not beating yourself up
                        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Magnum you are a star! This is not running away, this is listening to your authentic self and removing yourself from a potentially dangerous situation. Fantastic job! Coping with social functions AF takes practice and many of us arrive late and leave early, some even keep the engine running
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

I am deeply proud of that. As a person still in his first months of sobriety you did something amazing. You found the strength to walk away. Remember how AL lied to us. If you have lie to it, oh well, better to protect your sobriety than the other alternative. HUGE STEP! :goodjob:
                            AF 11/22/2010

Comment

You did the right thing by leaving-- you made your sobriety the top priority and did what you had to do to protect it. It's not cowardly, it's the smart thing to do.

Wait till you're good and ready and feeling strong and stable in your recovery, then you can work on coming to terms with situations where people are drinking around you.
                              Alcohol Free since 11/29/10!

Comment

Working...
                              X