Backfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfire

Part of my plan to stay sober was to take a part time job over the main days when I know I feel like drinking the most. This, together with my meds etc and all the other stuff I do in general to avoid Al seemed like a great idea till until I got what I wished for. Subsequently, I've just been offered a brilliant job and I'm so freak'n excited it's all I can do NOT to drink!. I want a drink to celebrate the job I found in order to avoid drinking! huh? lol Backfire:H
    I'm actually ok (just) no booze for me and of course, writing on here always keeps me honest. I just wanted to share that lil irony with others who can relate. It's not just negative emotions we want to suppress. Sometimes it can be ANY strong emotion, even good ones can seem to overwhelm without some "help".
    Don't tell me it can't be done until I'm finished doing it.

Backfire

Hi Shanny5, congratulations on the job offer, that is wonderful. The situation certainly is ironic like you say, life is indeed funny sometimes. Just think how much of a better job you will do, showing up rested, not hung over. Your brain is already going to be working so much better with your 11 days of sobriety. Keep up the fight.
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Backfire

Shanny, congratulations on your wonderful news!! Yes, that is an important realization about triggers. It isn't just the negative emotions. Keep that realization in your toolbox along with a plan for what to do for an AF celebration.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Backfire

celebrate the awsome news with a AF day.what gift could be better?
        " Life is good ...then it gets better "

Comment

Backfire

Hah! That's so true, Shanny. Bad news? Drink! Good news? Drink!

CONGRATS on the new job. It's funny how one decision to make your life better opens the door to other good stuff.

xoxo Pride
          AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
          "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Backfire

Congrats Shanny! I can totally relate. Stay strong and rock that new job!
            February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Backfire

great stuff on the job. i can totally relate to that. i got myself a part time job last year. and yes i was so excited. unfortunately i gave in and drank, i hope you dont. on the upside im still in my job and havent been in once with a hangover. im really proud of that as i had so many time turning up to work feeling like crap or phoning in sick cos of drink. going into work sober and perky is fantastic. hope it goes well for you
              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Backfire

i totally relate to that as well! Fantastic news about the job!!!!

Comment

Backfire

greeneyes;1039626 wrote: Shanny, congratulations on your wonderful news!! Yes, that is an important realization about triggers. It isn't just the negative emotions. Keep that realization in your toolbox along with a plan for what to do for an AF celebration.
                  Hi Greeneyes,
                  I'm still baffled by sorting out a plan for AF celebrations and am avoiding them like the plague. I was disgusted by the reaction of both my family and friends over xmas when trying to decline to drink with them. I'm lying low till I have some time under my belt. It's also going to take that long till I can begin to forgive them for pressuring me so unmercifully to drink.

Comment

Backfire

Hi Shanny,

I can totally relate to that. I think its tied in with celebrating any good news with a drink. In our society that is what we do. Someone gets married, we drink...someone has a baby, we drink.etc. etc. Your thoughts about drinking because of your excitement is simply a conditioned response. This conditioning breaks down the longer sober time we have. We must find other ways to "celebrate" and mark happy occasions...maybe you could reward yourself with some nice perfume, candles etc. Anything that makes your heart sing. Keep up the good work Shanny. Saff
                    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Backfire

Well done Shanny on the job! When I first went back to work I was still drinking and yuck, I even drank at work - never rumbled thankfully. For the first year of that job when I was drinking, I thought it was the most boring job in the world. Couldn't wait for the day to be over every day. Now - the difference is mindblowing! I love my job, it actually makes me happy. I have now totally disassociated it from drink and it is my haven. What I'm trying to say is, never let your job become 'associated' with booze, and it will be one of the best things you'll ever do!
                      On your point about your family pressuring you to drink at christmas, a work colleague of mine returned to work today some time after her partner comitted suicide. She was telling me that in the aftermath of him dying she was brought 17 different bottles of spirits by family and friends, kind maybe? This woman has Hepatitis (a b or c - the one you get from blood transfusions?). She cannot drink alcohol under any circumstances and all her friends and family know that. Riddle me the mindset of the people who brought those bottles to her home??
                      Molly
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Backfire

That's astounding Molly. I'll be thinking about that for the rest of the day. I just don't understand people at all sometimes. Did they think they were somehow doing the right thing? or just being down right insensitive? I'm at a loss to justify that kind of behavior.

I've given alot of thought as to why some people in my life continue to encourage me to drink, diminish the issue or plain wont accept it and come up with nothing to excuse them for it. I'm still very angry about that. What is wrong with some people?.

Comment

Backfire

D'ya know Shanny, the other side of that is my husband who has been on a crusade to 'make sure' I don't drink. He just took control of me, my life, my movements - everything - to the extent he made me WANT to drink just to take control back, how stupid is that!! Anyway it was never going to work cos, bottom line is, if we want to drink we will drink - there is a 'joke' here in Ireland that only an Irish man would climb over naked women to get to a pint of guinness, well that's me I guess. Nothing would stop me drinking if I want to, but similarly nothing would make me drink if I don't want to and now that I've regained control I don't want to drink. This is a wierd 'ailment' we have, and no one who hasn't a drink problem or like me is an alcoholic can understand shit about it - hence your family encouraging you, I'm sure if you did drink with them and got mouldy drunk they'd be puzzled at why you don't just 'stop at 2'? It's all inside Shanny no one else has the power but us
                          Molly
                          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Backfire

I know it's true. If I really didn't want to drink, no one could have made me no matter what. I don't want to be the kind of person who blames others. It was just the first time I saw right up close and in my face that they didn't (or wouldn't) care enough to leave me be. It made me feel very alone.
                            Like you, my partner is also supportive to the point of being bloody irritating haha but I see now (especially after the whole xmas fiasco) just how much I appreciate it too. He shares my victories over Al no matter how small.

I'm just grateful for small mercies these days

Comment

Working...
                            X