Stuck in ice and snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in ice and snow

I am in an area that does not see lots of snow and ice and has this week (Atlanta). My in laws live in a rural area and they are elderly so we thought we should have them in since they often lose power there. Of course they have been here since Sunday and my mother in law is intense to the nth degree (and a raging drinker). It is pretty hard between the boredom and her to not drink-- I have purposefully gone to different parts of the house to get away from her but that is really being noticed (and is sort of depressing and isolating too which brings more boredom). I don't think they are going until Friday--and I can' really leave the house since it is so icy-- aargh-- just venting (so I won't go for the booze)!

Stuck in ice and snow

Ooohh you poor thing ATL!! Sounds horrendous! My MIL would have driven Mother Teresa to drink regardless of being stuck in a house with her with ice and snow. Best advice I can give is KEEP HIDING! ODAT would take on a whole new meaning or as they say 'this too shall pass':H. Keep off the grog and find a bar of chocolate or something (reckon you probably need something!)
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

ATL, I'm 40 miles south of the airport. Yes, the weather is hell right now. My MIL but esp my FIL drive me ape-shit, and they live on my property.
      Remember, YOU are sober. That is YOUR house. YOU are being kind and considerate. You can draw your lines and stick there.
      It's easier to say it than do it, I know. But I've been there. Still am. Remember: one day, probably soon, they'll be gone, in more ways than one. You are doing a good thing. Find something to occupy your mind in the down time. Ask her/them for help, or avoid them as you've been doing. But this too shall pass. Soon. It's the South, after all. If you don't like the weather, just wait till tomorrow.
      You're doing a good job. Don't lose it over this.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

Didn't drink and they are trying to leave today-- yea!! I am sick of being inside -- am dieting too so there is no fun here!

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

Holy crap - no drinking, mother-in-law AND you're dieting? You are one strong person!

My corporate office is down South and they all sound like you. One woman had her two kids stuck in the house - no school for three days and I swear I had to talk her off the ledge. So hard when you are not used to those weather conditions. It took me a while to get used to it - I am a 4th Gen So Cal transplant now living in Philly. The only time we get stuck is when 1) there is more than a foot of snow and the city doesn't plow 2) it gets too icy because the City plowed but didn't salt the roads (knuckleheads) 3) I refuse to dig my car out for fear of losing my parking place...lol. Best of luck - you should be thawed out in no time!!
          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

My husband actually left for work today-- I think he was going to go insane-- he is from Chicago ad can drive well-- just today he has helped 4 people get out of our subdivision. He actually left to get our little boy McDonalds-- I am sure the stock price of that place has gone down with us being snow bound (hee)! Now he is at work and our boy is out of school again-- but at least the in laws have left!

Wagoneer-- I love Philly. Have gone to quite a few hockey games there. Like the restaurants too (I am Italian). Planning on running the Rocky steps when I get the weight off!

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

ATL, things are better here than where you are. But even tho we have 2 4x4's, they are'nt much good on the ice, which is our problem. Almost killed myself walking down my front steps yesterday. Hubs has gone to work every day (he works for the power company) and being in and from the country, we're pretty much ready for anything survival wise. But I'm tired of this now, time for spring. You know we usually get the most bad weather in Feb and early March, but we have been snowed in in April. My grandson said Monday 'This is the best day ever' as he got ready to play in the snow.
              sigpic
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

I know Rubes-- my son was like "I wish I could stay home with you always mommy-- I love you so much". He is happy as a clam. Even was happy when I told him he had to nap in an hour (because it was in an hour and not right away!) I think if I could have that attitude I would be in better shape-- hubs said the roads around the school are frozen solid still so son may be out tomorrow too. But that is fine with me-- I am the type who hates when the kids go back to school-- I just wanted my MIL out!! She is gone now so I am rejoicing-- I am surprised the urge to drink did not get to me way before yesterday evening with her!

Comment

Stuck in ice and snow

ATL, snow days with my kids, and now my grands, are some of the happiest, most fun days. Check out the pics on the 'Journey' thread I posted of my grands enjoying it. They're about 45 min. N of ATL.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X