Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook just did something i really didn't like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I was on facebook there and it suggested people you might know and the counsellor i have been seeing came up. It has totally freaked me out because facebook doesn't have access to my email nor have I been in touch with her on any way that it could know which makes me v suspicious.

you guys have any similar issues?

x
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

If your counsellor is friends with any of your friends this will come up Cassia.
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Facebook links you in all sorts of ways, friends, same town, same interests all sorts so don't worry about it.

Comment

no - she isn't friends with anyone i know...i checked. we didn't go to the same uni or anything else. It's just really bizarre.

Comment

I know how weird that is....an old boyfriend came up and my publishers keep coming up as well. Freaks me out too. I delete as soon as I see it! Don't worry hon. Social Media is more and more like Big Brother
          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I have noticed things will pop up on the side having to do with stuff I have written about in personal messages. Same with yahoo mail.

Comment

I was involved in a guitar forum about 5 years ago and keep in touch with one of the members on FB. We were chatting the other day and a member from that forum came up as a possible friend for me. The guy I was chatting with sends me emails too and the "pop guy" is in the send list sometimes. Ya, somebody's watching.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Same here. I really don't like it, but it's very true that once we put things out into cyberspace, it's there forever. Hubs was telling me the other night that anyone can easily be tracked down if someone wants too. We bank online, have a secure link that we change the password on frequently. The other day he tried to access it and it had been locked because of too many attempts to get in, and neither of us did it. All new passwords on everything, again.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

My brother-in-law sent me this in an email. Someone else had sent it to me a few months ago and I checked it out and removed myself and my family members. I checked again when he sent it recently and they had me in there under my maiden name, last address, etc! This is what the email said:

ATTENTION!: There's a site called Spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal info of you: from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, etc. Remove yourself by searching for yourself on their site, copying the URL of your page, then go to the bottom of the page and click on "Privacy" button to remove yourself. Copy & repost so your FB friends are aware.

At first I thought it was a scam, but it was real and really creepy. They had a google earth picture of my damn house! Crazy. Oy.
                  February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Okay, here's the deal. Spokeo.com is basically a search engine that aggregates information pertaining to individual names, email addresses, and phone numbers from online public sources such as phone books, real estate listings, and government records, plus profile entries from websites like Facebook, MySpace, Amazon.com, LinkedIn, Flickr, and many others (the Spokeo site lists upwards of 50 potential data sources).

Similar "people search" services include Pipl, ZoomInfo, ZabaSearch, Radaris, and Intelius.

It can indeed be shocking to see how much information can be dug up about you in 15 seconds ? your home address, your marital status, religion, hobbies, names of friends and family members, personal photos, a satellite image of your home, even your estimated income and credit score.

Just as troubling is the fact that no one fact-checks the assembled data, meaning it can be partially or wholly incorrect.

The thing is, if Spokeo can find it, the info is publicly available and can be found online by anyone, with or without the convenience of a Spokeo.com.

The website does provide a "Privacy" form whereby you can delete your individual listing (note: some users report this is easier said than done), but don't miss the critical point: simply removing your search results from Spokeo.com doesn't prevent anyone from accessing the data by other means.

To protect your personal data on social networking services, you must either refrain from providing it to sites like MySpace and Facebook in the first place, or adjust your privacy settings on each website accordingly. Also, if your phone number and address are listed in the White Pages, that information is publicly accessible online, as are some government records (accessibility varies by state) and real estate listings.

And here's a Wikipedia Link - Spokeo

Pretty scary how much of yourself is out there easily available.
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

You're right it's not a scam, but it's not the whole problem.
                      FYI:
                      Urban Legends: Is Spokeo.com Invading Your Privacy?

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Great minds Nora!

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Wow...I didn't even know about these websites. it is quite frightening when you think you are just doing a few fun things and all of a sudden it is for public consumption. Not good. Just gotta be a wee bit smarter online.

Lx

Comment

Funny RC - Obviously we both had read that before. :eeks:
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nah, I just goggled Snopes.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Working...
                              X