How much booze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much booze?

I agree with zen and doggy. If the amount you're drinking becomes uncomfortable to you, the amount you drink is irrelevant. Whether it's two pints or ten pints, daily or bingeing, start in the mornings, only drink in the evenings. What matters is how it makes you feel and what impact if has on your well being.

I know once I start I can't stop until I fall asleep. So i may as well say ten bottles of wine because if that's what it took till I passed out, that's what I'd drink.

L x
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

How much booze?

Good thread. I always used my small consumption to justify the fact that I did NOT have a problem. I drink 1/2 a bottle minimally EVERY night and at least a whole bottle 2 or three days a week usually on a Friday / Saturday. I am 4' 11" and a small person. As I sit here my head is spinning a little and my belly is off. I woke up in the middle of the night and stayed awake for two hours or so. I am very dehydrated this morning. Drank 3/4 of a bottle last night. If I let myself believe that the small amount means I don't have a problem, then I am only fooling myself. I do have a problem and I am addressing it. Thanks for starting this thread.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

How much booze?

At my worst when i was living by myself 10 cans / 5 liters of beer mon to fri and at the weekends morning to night the last few years when i was trying to control "it" about 8 cans 2/3 times a week. Now some people might say well done ,thats not a lot but here is the thing it was not how much i drank or how often , i always wanted it , always thought about it . If i only drank one night of the week now i would spend the rest of the week fighting with myself and craving it. I am not big on posting how much we drank i have seen threads like this before and passed them by but in this case i didnt , I have done both , wasted years in a drunking haze of hangovers and blackouts and tried to moderate and really control my drinking it . My point is dont get hung up on how much you drink even a small amount when you have a problem is enough to keep you hooked keep the all the bullshit going on
        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

How much booze?

RudyB;1043513 wrote: dear btc,
          thanks for asking that question. i'm often curious what other people were consuming, and have gone to the 'my story' thread to find out more about people and their particular habits. i've usually had someone i knew of whose drinking was 'worse' than mine, but that never let me deny that mine was a problem (and i know that's not your point here, either). what let me sit with my drinking for as long as i did was that i was getting away with it. the several times i drove after drinking, i didn'nt get caught. i only missed work once from drinking. most people didn't even know i had this struggle.

but, to answer your question, toward the end i still wasn't drinking every day, but it was getting close to that. i averaged a pint of vodka over a few hours, a few times a week (or sometimes a six pack of strong beer). when i occasionally followed my pint with a beer or two, i became totally plastered. up to that, i still felt somewhat "functional", even on an empty stomach. goes to show how high my tolerance is! i mean WAS! god i don't miss having that compulsion!!!

day 17.
          rudy b
          I was very much like you - nobody realised I had a problem. I am not sure how much a pint of vodka is in terms of units. Congratulations on giving it up. You are amazing!
          Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

How much booze?

Tipplerette;1043861 wrote: Good thread. I always used my small consumption to justify the fact that I did NOT have a problem. I drink 1/2 a bottle minimally EVERY night and at least a whole bottle 2 or three days a week usually on a Friday / Saturday. I am 4' 11" and a small person. As I sit here my head is spinning a little and my belly is off. I woke up in the middle of the night and stayed awake for two hours or so. I am very dehydrated this morning. Drank 3/4 of a bottle last night. If I let myself believe that the small amount means I don't have a problem, then I am only fooling myself. I do have a problem and I am addressing it. Thanks for starting this thread.
            I was almost identical to you!! While this amount is still well over the recommended daily limits - it's very sadly not an unusual amount to drink these days. When I told my then therapist how much I was drinking she said she probably drank just as much!! It's only in retrospect that I see what a state I was in and how I was using alcohol as a drug and as a crutch rather than just for enjoyment. Unlike you I am tall but I don't weigh very much. I'm amazed at how physically ill I felt from the amount of alcohol I was drinking. I guess I should count myself lucky that I wasn't physically able to consume any higher amounts and do myself even more damage!
            Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

How much booze?

At my worst I was at four bottles of wine in an afternoon / night - sometimes day.

About 36 standard drinks.
              "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

How much booze?

1-2 liters of vodka in a day....wine, if it was a day off 5-6 bottles. I would be happy if I could drink 3-5 bottles of wine a week. Im AF for 8 days now but as ive said numerous times I thoroughly enjoy wine and having 2 glasses of wine a night wouldnt affect me or my life negatively.
                Say, Mr. Fields, I read in the paper where you consumed two quarts of liquor a day. What would your father think about that?
                WC: He'd think I was a sissy.

Comment

How much booze?

hey btc,
                  a pint is 16 ounces, as you probably know, and i am guessing a unit is about an ounce and a half, or two ounces. (Can anyone clarify? i've wondered this meself/) anyway, it's plenty on an empty stomach over a mere few hours. so glad i don't miss it.

it's sweet comfort to hear you say that you were like me. and look at you with your sober history building up over beautiful sober time. an inspiration!
                  wheee
                  rudyb

Comment

How much booze?

Many days, none, but 2-3 glasses of wine 2-3 times during the week. Three Friday night, three more (at least) Saturday, 1.5 bottles of wine Sunday afternoon. AF Monday, then start the whole thing over again. YUCK!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                    X