Coronation Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronation Street

I didn't know whether to put this in the Starting Out thread at or not, because I think it could be useful to those who aren't sure if they can have another drink. I'll put it here for now and can always copy it if anyone thinks it can go there too.

We have a soap opera over here, the longest running in the UK. It's called Coronation Street or 'Corrie' affectionately.

Anyway they have been portraying an alcoholic on and off for some years now, and they are making a VERY, VERY good job of it. I only watch Corrie occasionally and retuned in only to see a well publicised disaster storyline just before Christmas. Anyway Peter the character with the drink problem was cripped during that event, he's long term sober but a rival in love encourages him to drink again pretending to be his 'friend' and confident. Peter does drink again and all the excuses, lies, fights, weedling, whining all us alchies do(sorry if you don't accept this label but I use it collectively) come right out. You can see what's going on on his face. He has one glass of wine and hides it from his wife and child, scared he'll upset them. He then goes for a night out in the pub, you can see he's angry about his injuries and he really struggles not to have a drink. His friend then offers him an opportunity to get away and drink. He then has a couple of pints. It's not too serious right now and he keeps saying he can stop at any time. Sound familiar.

It is absolutely brilliant. Most soaps pass over drink problems with a cursory glance, but this is a great portrayal.

If you can watch the most recent episodes they are available on iplayer accessible from the ITV website, not sure if you can view from abroad though.

Apart from the struggles I think it's an excellent reminder to members old and new that even after a period of sobriety, that first drink, just one drink sets the whole process off again. Many think(and there have been posts here - sorry if I offend anyone) that "Oh, it was only 1 glass of wine, one drink and I stopped so I'm ok" but it leads right back to where you came from eventually.

If you can watch it I think it's a very useful reminder of what is waiting for us out there.

Here is the link to the TV Channel website ITV Home but as I say not sure if those not in the UK can view it.

Coronation Street

I havent watched corrie for many years, but I might just take a look at this.
    Thanks UK
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Coronation Street

I think Peter plays this amazingly well....a million emotions pass over his faced when drink appears.....

And I totally agree with you... One drink is NEVER EVER ok for those with a drink problem.
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Coronation Street

Yes he plays an amazing part ........

I actually went to school with Chris Gascoyne who plays Peter, he was my first boyfriend at 9 and he broke my heart :H:H
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Coronation Street

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Coronation Street

one2many;1043697 wrote: NO WAY!!!!!!!!!
            Yes really ..........
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Coronation Street

Thats is SO funny, I can NEVER look at him now without thinking of you!!

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Coronation Street

:H:H:H thats hysterical Bets! You drove the poor man to drink!!!
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Coronation Street

I think that it was him that drove me to drink!! I tried to sell my story to the sun but for some reason they weren't interested :H:H:H

UK sorry to hijack your thread ............ If anyone hasn't watched it then you should, it's scarily realistic .........
                  sigpicXXX

Comment

Coronation Street

id been thinkin about posting about this myself. i too just dip into corrie occasionally but ive been gripped recently... i its very well done
                    just a point that 'amuses' me. peter barlow was born on the same day as me. my mum is a big corrie fan and she was in hospital wondering who would be born first me or the barlow twins. now 45 years on we are going thru the same battle. ho hum
                    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Coronation Street

We get Coronation Street here in Canada and 30 years ago when I was raising my children, it was the only soap I was addicted to. Great, realistic show with people just like us all.
                      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                      X