Wagon Fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Fail!

?to the tune of 11 standards drinks how disappointing!
    I won?t post every time I slip but I thought I was doing so well with the last binge being at xmas time. I wasn?t even craving..or missing the buzz that much, I just got sick of being bored, which I can now identify as my first and foremost major trigger.
    I posted about the boredom recently and had some very valuable feedback, most of which was about having renewed interest and quality time with family and friends. I can see the value and importance of this but you see? I have very little of either, sober or drinking. Can?t do much about the family situation but I am also a quiet person by nature who favors autonomous pursuits and wouldn?t normally seek out the company of others (only child)
    Being sober has allowed me to be highly productive. I?m so damn organized that anything not nailed down becomes filed, folded or painted over! I study law full time and am one of those annoying students that has everything arranged in alphabetical and chronological order with neat little labels for the assignments finished months in advance but I digress? my point is that after I finish taking care of business in general (which I enjoy), I?m don?t know what to do with myself and the demon creeps in.
    I know that in comparison to others, this sounds like small potatoes but it?s becoming my Achilles? heel. In all honesty, I think I just needed to vent because I even had an anxiety attack several days ago through sheer frustration from lack of meaningful purpose. This is not going to be as easy as just taking another hobby.
    I?ve just read Olivier Ameissen's book and wonder if Baclofen might be an avenue, as he speaks about the ? complete suppression? and becoming completely indifferent to Al.
    Anyways..that's my humble whinge for the day and request for a polite kick up the bum.
    My support and positive vibes go out to all
    P.S that binge kept me awake for 24 hours!
    Don't tell me it can't be done until I'm finished doing it.

Wagon Fail!

Hi Shanny,
    Its good to vent and share your thoughts on here. Giving up the drink is one of my most difficult challenges to date as alcohol covered up so many "holes" in my life..like boredom. It's a tough road but its doable Shanny. I am trying very hard to break many bad habits.
    Just dont give up. x
    Be strong-
    We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
    Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Hi Shanny,

I sympathise with the boredom and spent way too long bored at home without family and friends around me, so I 'wasted' time by getting drunk and passing out to get through each day.

If you're not feeling sociable, how about taking up a new hobby? I've been writing on and off for years, but lost touch with it when drinking. I am now working on a new novel and it makes me feel productive as well as passing time without the craving for a drink (or smoke!)

Don't dwell on your slip-up too long, but it's good you have identified your major trigger.

Keep us posted

EW
      If you can't have one drink, don't have any - My Nan

Comment

Wagon Fail!

love it

Shanny5;1046146 wrote: ?to the tune of 11 standards drinks how disappointing!
        I won?t post every time I slip but I thought I was doing so well with the last binge being at xmas time. I wasn?t even craving..or missing the buzz that much, I just got sick of being bored, which I can now identify as my first and foremost major trigger.
        I posted about the boredom recently and had some very valuable feedback, most of which was about having renewed interest and quality time with family and friends. I can see the value and importance of this but you see? I have very little of either, sober or drinking. Can?t do much about the family situation but I am also a quiet person by nature who favors autonomous pursuits and wouldn?t normally seek out the company of others (only child)
        Being sober has allowed me to be highly productive. I?m so damn organized that anything not nailed down becomes filed, folded or painted over! I study law full time and am one of those annoying students that has everything arranged in alphabetical and chronological order with neat little labels for the assignments finished months in advance but I digress? my point is that after I finish taking care of business in general (which I enjoy), I?m don?t know what to do with myself and the demon creeps in.
        I know that in comparison to others, this sounds like small potatoes but it?s becoming my Achilles? heel. In all honesty, I think I just needed to vent because I even had an anxiety attack several days ago through sheer frustration from lack of meaningful purpose. This is not going to be as easy as just taking another hobby.
        I?ve just read Olivier Ameissen's book and wonder if Baclofen might be an avenue, as he speaks about the ? complete suppression? and becoming completely indifferent to Al.
        Anyways..that's my humble whinge for the day and request for a polite kick up the bum.
        My support and positive vibes go out to all
        P.S that binge kept me awake for 24 hours!
        hi shan,boredom is in the eye of the beholder,i remember a gentleman once telling me,it will take twice as long for the brain / to heal from the abuse we put it thro,then any other organ in our body,thro my research he was correct,rethinking what is rite in life is a challenge,it is easier to self medicate,so we get that euforia,for but a short time,as yo age,it does eventually click,or what is inevitabel will happen,:upset:i hve done the off ,on thing for years,we dont find peace in Al abuse,nor do we find freedom in not abusing it,it will be a battle no matter which way you choose to go,i can stop and start when i want,staying stopped an d wanting to is the,KEY.IWISH YO WELL.AND NOT FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU,i would not be content today,:thanks:gyco

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Shanny I can really identify with the boredom trigger but I promise with time this will go away. You already see the insanity of it, its like saying Im not sure how I feel so I will stick pins in my eyes to see how that feels. Bored is better than being a miserable slave to AL.
          Im a loner too with no family close by and I certainly no longer want to spend time with my old drinking buddies. I take myself out for long walks or a cycle something to make me feel good and it does free up so much time to do constructive things, look into interests I never got round to before. And reading... a renewed love id forgotten with too many nights unable to focus on the page. Stick with it, its SO worth it!
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Shanny,
            For many years I only read magazines, rarely books. Now I read all the time, it is a retreat from the world in a manner similar to alcohol, but with many health benefits and far less cost. I am currently enjoying the Steig Larsson books, they are very engaging. Also Sue Grafton, Navada Baar, Stewart Woods, JA Jance. You can Google 2007 New York Times bestsellers, then buy them very cheap at Amazon.com. Exercise is also good, but not a time-waster when the work is all done, the way these books are.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Could you volunteer or get a part time job to help you feel purpose in your non drinking hours?
              You always succeed if you never stop trying.
              Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Hi Shanny,
                I have to agree with Chill that I think the "boredom" trigger will go away the longer you stay AF. We have blocked so much out of our lives to make time for AL, that it's hard to realize there's so much more we could be doing.
                Anyway, I think for all of us, for various reasons, this is one of the biggest challenges we'll ever face, and you sound like a woman who likes a challenge, so maybe take it on as that. I know you can do it!

Comment

Wagon Fail!

Shanny--it was certainly a huge trigger for me. I really sympathize. i started exercising as a way to beat the boredom or at least fill up time ith another boring activity (ha)! Godd luck

Comment

Wagon Fail!

"I posted about the boredom recently and had some very valuable feedback, most of which was about having renewed interest and quality time with family and friends. I can see the value and importance of this but you see? I have very little of either, sober or drinking. Can?t do much about the family situation but I am also a quiet person by nature who favors autonomous pursuits and wouldn?t normally seek out the company of others (only child)"

Hi Shanny, I can really relate to this, hence my name. Although I'm a long way from achieving sobriety, I think it's a question of finding things you really enjoy doing so that you become totally absorbed in them and completely forget yourself. Ideally you would have both indoor and outdoor interests so you don't spend all your time in one place. How about gardening or walking or swimming to get you out of the house? Maybe cooking or reading or DIY for indoors? There are a few suggestions at the site below. Probably best to avoid the home beer brewing one!

Hobbies - Get Some New Hobby Ideas Today!

All the best

Recluse

Comment

Wagon Fail!

totally relate to the boredom trigger. I would even call it a sneaky motivation to drink, in my case.

I took that test on the 'Research' board, the one about 'what kind of drinker am I?. I completely fit the fourth type--AL gets me revved up, interested and eager to do things I've been putting off. Once I had a good buzz going, I'd fix/maintain the car, do all the household chores I'd been procrastinating about, tidy my fishing tackle and sailing gear, mow the lawn. You name it. With AL on board, boring stuff suddenly doesn't seem so mundane.

Of course, it also let me live with the illusion that I was doing a masterful job at these tasks! Not to mention, I would frequently have little 'mishaps,' or minor injuries. I'd tell myself the next day, "okay, I shouldn't have got loaded, but at least the job's done.." Dumb
                      Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                      X