My Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mother

This is not a story of life I'm afraid but one of death.

6 years ago today my mother died. A lady I didn't always see eye to eye with most of the time but my mother never the less.

My mother was an extremely heavy drinker more so after my father's death 6 years previously.

In March 2004 I received a phone call from my brother to say that she'd been behaving oddly talking on the phone about a little boy she was caring for. As I was the nearest to her we popped over to her house. We found her there with a badly broken arm and severe DT's as she hadn't been able to open her wine bottle the previous evening. She was talking to a little boy that was nowhere to be seen about his adoption. I rang the paramedics and we rushed her into hospital. The arm was so badly broken it had to be operated on for several hours and she needed after needed powerful drugs to de-tox her.

Something had changed not only was she an alcoholic she had now slipped into alcoholic dementia. With the help of carers, me and my brother and other family members she was able to stay in her own home.

Her daily routine continued. Off to the supermarket she trotted each morning to pick up her 2/3 bottles of wine and something to eat for lunch. The call of alcohol overrode every other thought.

So now we come to the day of her death. Her carer could get no answer and rang me. Off we went again. This time my keys wouldn't work in the lock. No windows were open so we couldn't get access to the house. The police were called and a very young and sweet cop broke down the door.

There was my mother dead at the bottom of the stairs. The policeman covered her but as her she had to be officially pronounced dead by a doctor we could not move her. I had to step over my own mother's body to gain access to the living room.

And so the day went on and on. A sudden death requires police interviews..........waiting for a doctor to pronounce death.........waiting for the funeral directors......contacting the coroner...........contacting relatives.

The worst phone call of all was telling my Grandmother, her mother. How do you tell a sprightly 91 year old woman her eldest daughter is dead.

My mother was an intelligent woman, a mother of 2, Grandmother of 3, Auntie to many nieces and nephews and yet she died a sad alcohol induced death.

So just for today do me one tiny favour. Say a wee prayer for her and just for today don't take a drink.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

My Mother

Hey jc,

Firstly...I am sorry that today is such a sad occasionfor you. I also lost my mom in January, 24 long years ago. I have now been on this earth longer than she was. It was a terribly heartbreaking day for me so can understand your loss. My mom was killed on a car accident along with her best friend.

I will keep your mom in my prayers and dedicate my af day tomorrow to her.

Love and strength to u.

L x
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

My Mother

JC - thank you for sharing your story. :l You are in my prayers along with your Mother. I dedicate this AF day to her. And I dedicate my AF day tomorrow to you. You are a special person.:h:h
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

My Mother

JC, I just checked in and saw this ..............

No drinks here ............. and a prayer ..............

and lots of love and hugs for you JC :h:l:h
        sigpicXXX

Comment

My Mother

What a brave an honest post JC, thank you so much for sharing.

Have just lit a lovely candle here for JackieMum x
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

My Mother

JC, that story has touched me deeply
            No drinks but many prayers for you and her here too xxx
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

My Mother

JC thank you for posting this story and sharing with us, I will be meditating this evening and I will include your mum and yourself in my meditation :l

Dewdrop :h
              Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

My Mother

JC, I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. Alcohol is so cruel.

No drinks for me today, and a prayer for your mother as well.

Wishing you peace today and into the night.

Comment

My Mother

I won't pick up a drink today to honor her memory.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

My Mother

JC - I am so sorry to hear your story of loss.

I will light a candle and think of her and you tonight. Our mother's are just that to us - Our mommy's and no matter what they will always hold a special place in our hearts. I will not drink in honour of her today.

xoxo
                    Uni
                    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                    :h

Comment

My Mother

Thinking of you and sending a prayer for your mum.

Comment

My Mother

JC,
                        I'm so touched by your story. I will say a prayer for your mum and will remember how sad and tragic this disease can be. :h:l

Comment

My Mother

Jackie, I'm so sorry you went through that 6 yrs ago. Loosing your Mum under any circumstances is heartbreaking, but loosing her to this horrible awful addiction must resonate so deeply with you. I can only imagine what a dreadful time that was for you. I know the death of my Mum (thro old age and predictable causes at that age) accelerated my drinking beyond belief, but thankfully, mainly through kind caring people like you I know my kids will never have to write a post like that about me - or yours about you. Be strong honey, and needless to say my sober day today is dedicated to you and your Mums memory. Thinking of you:l
                          Molly
                          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

My Mother

Oh JC I am so sorry. Said a prayer for your mom and for you. Thank you for sharing that. You are a wonderful, strong woman.
                            February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

My Mother

Group *MWO* Candles - Light A Candle group name mwo.
                              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X