Going through a separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband and I called it quits and this is my second week of living on my own and all I have been doing every night is drinking, drinking, drinking. Then I talk on the phone with my friends and don't remember half the things I said to them and I feel embarrassed to ask about it afterwards. I really only drink on weekends because I never had the urge to drink during the week when I was living with him, but now I cant stop and I am afraid I get myself into trouble. Last night I went out after 9 to go buy beer and was walking around for about a half hour looking for a store!

I really hope that I can go home this week and not touch alcohol at all, but I am depressed and that helps me - at least temporarily.

Thanks for listening.
    FF

It helps when your depressed for a minute, then it makes you feel more depressed by messing up all the chemicals in the brain. It may be hard to tell the difference when you are sad because of the break up but right now maybe try not to be alone. Go to a friend house or your parents or sister or brothers house. Go to the gym, go to the library, just try to find something to do besides sit at home alone because that's when the beast comes in. I have this problem also. When my kids and husband are gone I want to drink because I won't be board, everything seams more interesting when you drink. The problem is that is not true, and it's so bad for you. Hang in there and try not be alone.
    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

I second jennyneric's post!
      "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Free, this is a traumatic event in your life, and if you don't REALLY experience (sober) it won't sink in. As was said, you're not relieving the depression, you're increasing it. I'm sure it's so hard. But AL won't help, it will compound the problems. Yes, DO go somewhere to get out of your regular zone, and work, think, about ways to change yourself, to find yourself again. You CAN be OK, you can start over, but if you add AL to the problems, you have MORE problems to deal with. Tell yourself you had your pity party, now it's time to get out. I'm so sorry for your pain; don't make it worse by abusing yourself more. Come here for help, PM me if you want, but get out of the AL mindset to get better.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
        X