Struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling

Really having a bad day trying not to drink i'm going up the wall! Did'nt drink yesterday was feeling really optimistic but today is a different matter not sure why had a long day at work so maybe thats why but then again just another excuse!!!! Very confused

Struggling

Hi Marie,

Yep there's a lot of up and downing, esp when you first give up the drink.
    Routine and structure are really important.
    Regular sleep, regular food, relaxation, exercise...all boring stuff for your average alki, but can't be underestimated in it's importance for detox and recovery.....sets you up with some positives, and makes it much easier to say no to those cravings.

Good luck with it.
    Bridget.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Struggling

Hey mariec,

If u had a long day at work would you normally reward yourself with a drink? Is so, perhaps that's why you are having a craving just now. Remember that's all it is...a craving!

Xx
      'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Struggling

Hi, Marie....like Bridge said...it is a roller coaster. Can you go & read a book..take a walk...or just stay right here and hang out with us....there's always people here no matter what time of the day or night.....I'm sending good thoughts to you......x
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Struggling

Marie, hon, this is a journey. And at first not a good one. But you didn't get here overnight, and you won't recover that quick either. We'd love to have you post and ask on the site I gave you, or you can always PM me. Hang on, honey. It's a bumpy ride.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Struggling

We've all been there, marie. Read a book, go to a movie, coffee shop, just do anything but drink. The longer you resist the urges, the w:heaker they will become. Hang in there.

Comment

Struggling

Marie ~ my fellow Geordie, hopefully you're fast asleep in bed by now and got through the evening. Believe me these first few days are not easy and we all now exactly how you feel.
              Just keep doing what you doing and posting before you think about the drink.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Struggling

Hi Bridget,

Thanks for the support really appreciate it.

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

Hi Cassia

Thanks for the support, i'm going to remember next time i'm having one.

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

Hi Grateful,

Thanks, thats so kind of you and for the support

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

Hi Fennel,

Thanks for hte support, will try and hopefully they will go.

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

Hi Rubes,

Thanks for the support, did'nt realise how bumpy but your right in what you've said taking everything on board.

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

Hi JC
                          Thanks for all the support, we're strong stuff us Geordies and going to put that to work , good to know that others know what you're going through!

Mariec x

Comment

Struggling

I have so been there buddy. It's just so tempting and easy to do isn't it.

Look at it this way - for every minute you don't drink that is going to lead to an hour, an hour to a day.

Is it that hard to hold of for the extra minute?

I know how tough it is and I'm not being trivial here but mate you can do it! Seriously. I was bad - really really really bad. Alcohol was my life, and I stopped drinking.

Start thinking about the damage it is doing to your insides and ask yourself how much longer you want to live, then start thinking about the money it is costing you, the embarrassing moments, the friends you have probably lost, the impact it has on your work and play, and the fact that a stupid drink is such a big part of your life. The fact that it is NOT a bonus or a reward but a punishment and a penalty.

I learned all that in rehab when I finally hit those doors, before that I was just off the rails.

Good luck mate - feel free to PM me any time if you need help!
                            "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

Struggling

Aust said something that rings true, esp for me -"ask yourself how long you want to live". No one thinks about it when they start drinking, but when it continues, increases, one day you'll be my age and wondering that, pondering how much longer you can call this earth home in your body. And what you do to it NOW affects it tremendously. The horror stories on here of their loved ones who have dementia, can't be left alone, and ultimately die from addiction, or take their own lives, are abundant. And heartstopping. It's hard to make the change, but we will help you. And you are stong. You are WORTH this effort. You've proved it.
                              sigpic
                              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                              X