Had a glass of champagne 2 days ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 days ago I was at an event and I decided to have a glass of champagne. Although it was good champagne (Laurent Perrier) it tasted like I'd expect nail polish remover to taste. It was really horrible and I could only finish half a glass. Is it normal for alcohol to taste bloody hideous after you've abstained for a while?

Does this mean I'm on a path to ruin and eternal boozing now?

I've not had any cravings to consume more booze since then.

Why was the alcohol so unpleasant when in the past I've enjoyed it?
    Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

breaking_the_cycle;1047946 wrote:
    Does this mean I'm on a path to ruin and eternal boozing now?

Hi BTC,

Well as to your first question, you can only be on that path if you choose to be. It is a lot easier to make excuses to pick up again when you've done it once - but it's still your choice and you don't have to if you don't want to. Why did you do it anyway, out of interest?

I don't know if it's the same, but when I've abstained from sugar for a while and then eat something sweet, it tastes like REALLY sweet. And I notice as well that commercial chocolate brands just don't taste that great after all - kind of like cardboard doused in sugar. So it could be that you're tasting the alcohol as it actually is, now that you're not habituated to the taste. I don't know if you remember your first ever drinks, but I don't really know anyone who says they enjoyed the taste of those -they had to 'make' themselves like it.

If I were you I'd thank my lucky stars that this experience has not brought on cravings and get right back on with my AF life as if it had never happened.
    Hope that helps some.
    K x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

When I would jump in bed with the enemy after extended absences the first drink always tasted a little different, the second was ok and the third was like "taste? who needs taste". When my objective was to get wasted the taste didn't matter. I suppose when the objective is not to get drunk but simply have a small drink we might concentrate on the drink itself and not the effects we expect from the alcohol.

I'm glad the event didn't cause things to go backwards.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

allswell;1048203 wrote: When I would jump in bed with the enemy after extended absences the first drink always tasted a little different, the second was ok and the third was like "taste? who needs taste". When my objective was to get wasted the taste didn't matter. I suppose when the objective is not to get drunk but simply have a small drink we might concentrate on the drink itself and not the effects we expect from the alcohol.

I'm glad the event didn't cause things to go backwards.
        Very wise words. A lot of people equate drinking sensible amounts of alcohol with "having fun" - but when I drank it was to annihilate (myself) and I realize now there actually was no sense of real enjoyment. My most enjoyable moments in life have always occurred when I was sober.

I read threads on here about people who are moderating (drinking sensible, moderate amounts of alcohol). I thought maybe I could do that too. But if drinking alcohol is not even pleasurable to me now, what's the point of drinking moderate amounts of it even?

Alcohol used to be my "treat" to myself for celebrating a tough week, or finishing an assignment or to "comfort" me after I had bad news or a shock (which was almost every day!) Perhaps I need a replacement "treat" - I was thinking fresh fruit or an almond milk smoothie or something like that that is actually ENJOYABLE

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

Good deal BTC,

I too am finding real enjoyment which can't come from a bottle.
          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

breaking_the_cycle;1047946 wrote: Does this mean I'm on a path to ruin and eternal boozing now?

Hi BTC,

I did the same thing after abstaining for nearly five months. I just woke up one morning and thought " Gonna take the risk" . I drank 3 glasses of my favourite wine very slowly. I will never forget my first glass. The alcohol was so strong! Anyway, I didnt wake up the next morning with thoughts of going back to the drunk I was before. Infact it just reconfirmed my desire for a sober life. Admittently, I have had the odd drink since then but I have never lost control of myself on each ocassion. I still dont know what is right for me..total abstinence, or moderation . I am still learning as I go along. But for now I can happily say that I am in control of my drinking.

It's your choice BTC and you will know whats best for you in the long run.
            Be strong-
            We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
            Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

and drinking is fun so long as you drink sensibly. I was just never good at that!
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
              Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

rebirth;1048231 wrote: Hi BTC,

I did the same thing after abstaining for nearly five months. I just woke up one morning and thought " Gonna take the risk" . I drank 3 glasses of my favourite wine very slowly. I will never forget my first glass. The alcohol was so strong! Anyway, I didnt wake up the next morning with thoughts of going back to the drunk I was before. Infact it just reconfirmed my desire for a sober life. Admittently, I have had the odd drink since then but I have never lost control of myself on each ocassion. I still dont know what is right for me..total abstinence, or moderation . I am still learning as I go along. But for now I can happily say that I am in control of my drinking.

It's your choice BTC and you will know whats best for you in the long run.
                Nice one!

Comment

could have been a bad bottle, no matter how long ive been AF, Laurent P always tastes good to me.
                  Say, Mr. Fields, I read in the paper where you consumed two quarts of liquor a day. What would your father think about that?
                  WC: He'd think I was a sissy.

Comment

Working...
                  X