Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gradual Decline Creeped Up On Me Thanks to YOU...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am humbled by you people and am honoured to be part of this forum. MWO has helped people who are not alcoholics but who are heading down that path. I am one of them. I appreciate the fact that when I state that I am concerned about my half bottle of wine a night routine no one here scoffs at me for my lack of a big problem. I stay on this site and post a few times a week. I mostly read and read and read. What I am getting at is that this site is a God-Send for people who have not slipped down that slippery slope but WILL unless they intervene in their own lives. That is me. Since I have joined a year and a half ago, I have noticed a change in me that is so gradual that I hadn't really acknowledged it until now.

My personality is that I am always researching, trying new supplements, trying new exercises and am very aware of my health. So, being about 5 to 8 pounds over my ideal weight, I am constantly using portion control, doing a few days of low carb dieting then eating a load of french fries and gravy, then being "good" for a while which seems to work for me. I am trying to say that I am the preventative type in my fight against my own obesity which runs in our family but I like to have my cake and eat it too. I am similar in my drinking patterns.

I have come to realize that by joining this forum and really being active in it I am circumventing my own decline into the constant over-drinking rut that you are all familiar with. I don't think I am alone. I think there are many lurkers here that are using this forum to open their eyes to what awaits them if they don't change. This is a gift and I want to thank all the honest people here who have graciously allowed us into their lives. I remember how embarrassed I was to admit on here that I took a tumble down the stairs while drunk.

My drinking has gradually become very 'normal' almost by osmosis. What I read here seems to hit a deep part of my consciousness and I am now skipping quite a few days per week and only getting a little tipsy at parties occasionally. All this happened as usual, by me jumping on the bandwagon and addressing my drinking before it became a terrible problem. Just like the dieting. I diet, not because I am fat but because I am hyper aware. I control my drinking now because I am hyper aware of it's potential. Thanks to YOU !!

I firmly believe that I am at risk of becoming just like my Mom, a chronic, functional drunk. This forum keeps me on my toes. I am not saying that there is no effort involved. I work towards moderate drinking but it seems to be easier and easier lately. L-Glut and supplements help. But it's mostly this forum.

Not only is this forum helping struggling alcoholics but it is also a huge help to those who are in that stage where it either continues to escalate or is nipped in the bud.

:thanks::thanks::thanks: :h:h:h To Roberta Jewel who was my first contact and to everyone who bears their soul and especially to those who are the welcomers.. It never ceases to amaze me that every darn person who logs on here and makes their first tentative post is hugely welcomed by all and especially by some and you know who you are. Do you know that is the deciding factor for many as to whether they will STAY... I can't say enough about you.

Sorry for rambling. I will continue my journey. I will post my frustrations and triumphs because this the crowd on this forum allows it and does not judge me. But for the Grace of God Go I.

Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

hey tips,
    i am so glad that this forum seems to be helping. i, too, thank the wonderful, generous, insightful people here for my continued sobriety (26 days!). there is something powerful in reading the words of those who know. and reading their direct responses to our words. i sincerely doubt i would be having the success that i am at staying away from the booze if i didn't have this place to visit whenever i want.
    thanks for your post. i second it!
    rudy

Comment

Hi Tips,

That was a lovely inspiring post! I too love this site. The people on here are wonderful. x
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

What wonderful journal of what we go through. I'm glad you're here. Many people HOPE for AF. The truth, many time, by the time we get here, it's too late for that. But another lifestyle is wonderful. Over time, as we grow, we learn that we felt we had to keep a poison in the equation. Many people don't drink. It's not an issue, they just say 'no', because they don't.The longer you can go, work on yourself, the less important it becomes to you, personally.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Well said Tipp!!! I agree with you whole heartedly.
          Change your thoughts, and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

Comment

Me too, I agree this forum is full of people who want to help others and that is a rare find!
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

That was an awesome post Tips. Thank you!
              February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Very well put! :thanks:
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                X